New Elizabethans

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

New Elizabethans

Postby dimairt » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:05 pm

From the BBC site, see link below:

"To mark the Diamond Jubilee, James Naughtie will be presenting 60 profiles of men and women whose actions during the reign of Elizabeth II have had a significant impact on lives in these islands and given the age its character, for better or worse.

Thank you for all your suggestions. These were passed to our panel of historians who decided on the final list which we can now announce below. Radio 4 will broadcast profiles of the New Elizabethans daily (Mon-Fri) starting on Monday 11 June at 12.45pm"

Terrific idea but who do you think has been omitted and who shouldn't have made it at all? For me, Goldie and Diana could have been omitted: other musicians are far more important and she's historically irrelevant. Missed out? Tony Blair, Rupert Murdoch,Alex Ferguson....

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/th ... zabethans/
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: New Elizabethans

Postby strange brew » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:14 pm

Elizabeth I, surely?
strange brew
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dimairt » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Her Majesty is on the list, quite why I don't know. I didn't notice that Blair was on it, he should be, must polish the specs, but I'd have included Harold Wilson - he won three elections, made Labour electable, kept us out of Vietnam, started the Open University and he was clever and witty, despite his public image.
Remember this isn't about who we like/don't like - it's the game-changers, those who made a difference.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:35 pm

ffs nae jimmy reid. :oops:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:24 am

"BBC Scotland has launched a major series - Scotland Inspired - tracing Scotland's artistic family tree, with prominent figures choosing Scots who have inspired them."

Interesting selections from (some of) the great and the good of Scotland.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17837968
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:08 am

I'm already looking forward to the episode on Deacon Blue. But no inspiring politicians. John McLean, Tommy Shridan and George Galloway just roll off my tongue.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:33 am

Well it is an arts programme with Scottish artists speaking about their artistic influences. Some though have chosen artists who had/have a political slant to their work eg John McGrath's 7:84 Company, Dick Gaughan, McDiarmid. It'll be interesting to see how the later is presented: like most "greats", he's subject to re-evaluation. I've yet to be convinced by his particular greatness and some of his views were, shall I be kind and say, of their day?

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:53 pm

Went to the Mitchell last night to see James Naughtie speaking about his new book, based on the radio series. He was wabbit, having been at the funeral yesterday but managed to be witty, charming and informed. Discreet too, when pressed by the chair for his views on the great and the good and on the political opinions of his Radio 4 colleagues.
I hadn't realised that he wasn't involved in selecting the sixty which must have made it difficult for him to write the book, given that he hadn't heard of some of them and didn't care for others.
I've been to four 'Aye Write' events this week, all good, one to go.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:14 pm

We've been to two Aye Write talks in the past week. Same success rate too Eddy.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Random Distractions