Local Council Erections 2012

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Local Council Erections 2012

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:49 pm

With only weeks away, I am already fed up with the campaigners turning up and posting leaflets and letters from prospective candidates through my letterbox.

In my area of Whiteinch, many of them have featured our local park as the backdrop for their photos or even as the main issue. We've had stories of bus subsidies being cut, how the Lib Dems have 'saved' us from massive cuts, to how they are going to press for a new toilet block in the park to replace the current 'portakabin' that's an eyesore.

Is it just me or am I totally cynical, they will all promise, they'll all agree with us in person when they meet and greet us in the streets but when it comes to taking office, they'll play their party line, tell us that 'priorities have changed...'. I've always voted in every election but this time, I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth the bother.

How does everyone else feel?
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Local Council Elections 2012

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Not bothered, probably.

this is not encouraging

SNP Glasgow leader may quit next month

AN SNP council group leader who has become a lightning rod for Labour attacks in the battle to take over Scotland's biggest city has admitted she may quit within a fortnight of the local elections

Allison Hunter, head of the opposition on Glasgow City Council, told the Sunday Herald her future role was "up in the air" as she may stand aside as SNP group leader.

As for Victoria Park you may be pleased to know the current mob have advertised for an assistant to work at the Fossil Grove.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby strange brew » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:19 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Not bothered, probably.

Out of curiosity, why is that? I'd have thought that Labour activists like yourself would be out pounding the streets more than ever this year given the threat of losing control of the council for the first time since, what, 1981?
strange brew
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:48 pm

I'm on Cyber Nat patrol and wondering when Billy McAllister will fling his hat in. Why did they pick Allison Hunter over Community inactivist Billy in the first place.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:54 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:I'm on Cyber Nat patrol and wondering when Billy McAllister will fling his hat in. Why did they pick Allison Hunter over Community inactivist Billy in the first place.

I believe that decision was made by Ms. Sturgeon.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:53 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:With only weeks away, I am already fed up with the campaigners turning up and posting leaflets and letters from prospective candidates through my letterbox.

I'm surprised to hear that Delmont, I've had very little. The Lib-Dems are usually best at getting leaflets, newsletters out locally - I'm in Maryhill - with the SNP next. At last year's Holyrood elections there was nothing from the local Labour Party, perhaps they knew the game was up.
It must be hard to get activists motivated and out on the streets and I admire those who make the effort in the face of ever-decreasing public interest. I hate to hear people say that they didn't vote because...."they're all the same," - they're not; "I didn't have time" - polling stations are open for 15 hours.
Do most HG-ers vote?

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:59 pm

dimairt wrote:
Delmont St Xavier wrote:With only weeks away, I am already fed up with the campaigners turning up and posting leaflets and letters from prospective candidates through my letterbox.

I'm surprised to hear that Delmont, I've had very little. The Lib-Dems are usually best at getting leaflets, newsletters out locally - I'm in Maryhill - with the SNP next. At last year's Holyrood elections there was nothing from the local Labour Party, perhaps they knew the game was up.

Didn't the Holyrood constituency of Glasgow Maryhill return Trish Ferguson as MSP last year?

dimairt wrote:It must be hard to get activists motivated and out on the streets and I admire those who make the effort in the face of ever-decreasing public interest. I hate to hear people say that they didn't vote because...."they're all the same," - they're not; "I didn't have time" - polling stations are open for 15 hours.
Do most HG-ers vote?

Durachdan,

Eddy

I can't speak about the dificulties of getting activists out and about but I've seen the effort the parties put into getting people to ask for and use a postal ballot - just to overcome the usual excuses.

Here in Anderston/ City I've had nothing from the Lib Dems, the Nats, the Greens or the other minor parties. The Green inactivity is unusual as Nina Baker is usually very active in and around the Ward. Apart from lots of Labour Party material, the only thing I've had is from a student nurse standing for the Tories. I can't help but feel the NHS won't be short-staffed by one on May 4th.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:18 pm

I do feel a duty to vote but cannot pretend I find any of the candidates in my area or the parties themselves very inspiring.
I've had leaflets from the SNP, Labour, Conservatives and an independant and questionnaires from both Labour and SNP asking about what issues are important locally.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:04 pm

I do vote and I will vote but I wonder sometimes as to why I should bother.

I can't pretend that I've got any real party loyalty and I know that there are political parties and indvidual candidates that I wouldn't vote for - but who to vote for this time, is a real issue for me. I know where my vote goes nationally, but locally, this time I'm stuck for I don't hold much stock in most of the candidates.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:17 pm

I can do no better than quote Adam McNaughtan from his Thomas Muir of Huntershill

"When you're called for jury service, when your name is drawn by lot
When you vote in an election when you freely voice your thought
Don't take these things for granted, for dearly were they bought."
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:01 pm

Voting is fine but that's not the point that I am making.

I wish there was an option for 'none of the above.'

Why vote because it is the done thing, if one believes no candidate or party is truly deserved of that vote? Is that not just a mockery of the system?
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Election fever in these parts consists of two posters for Shaukat Butt in local Grocers shops, and...er, that's it.

Not an election leaflet through the door, nothing.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:27 pm

Josef wrote:Election fever in these parts consists of two posters for Shaukat Butt in local Grocers shops, and...er, that's it.

Has he finally decided which party he's standing for?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:29 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:Voting is fine but that's not the point that I am making.

I wish there was an option for 'none of the above.'

Why vote because it is the done thing, if one believes no candidate or party is truly deserved of that vote? Is that not just a mockery of the system?

What is it by way of policies you'd need before a party or an individual would get your support?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:33 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
Josef wrote:Election fever in these parts consists of two posters for Shaukat Butt in local Grocers shops, and...er, that's it.

Has he finally decided which party he's standing for?

D'you know, I'd forgotten about that, and the posters were red, so it didn't come to mind at the time. 'Glasgow First' apparently.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions