The best 50 pence you'll never spend

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The best 50 pence you'll never spend

Postby yoker brian » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:04 pm

I already know my local bus (42) has been saved from the axe, thanks to community pressure and the support of both SLP & SNP Councillors in my ward and in the neighbouring wards.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:04 pm

For those who haven't seen it.

I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:08 pm

Josef wrote:Now that we've established that the SLP policy is not to have any policies but just to make stuff up instead, I'm actually finding this stuff quite entertaining.

Note to the usual SLP apologist suspects : I'd like a left-of-centre council/government. My vote has not previously been fixed. But the SLP are doing thir damnedest to ensure that it is.

Have you ever read Koestler's 'Darkness at Noon' TEM?

Cut a long story short and all that, the main character resolves to admit guilt if his prosecutor can prove the slightest basis in fact for the charges leveled against him, no matter how ridiculous the charges.

He'd probably plead guilty in this case.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:20 pm

One cybernat, responding to the First Bus statement on Facebook, says

"So? Folk have to pay the economic rate to get the bus....let them walk it won't affect old folk, and given the rates of obiesity (sic) etc will get folk walking Im all for it!!!"
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:27 pm

.. what with internet commenters being entirely representative, 'n' that.

Just to clarify : are we saying that press releases by First Bus and Daly Mail group outlets are now to be regarded as Chapter & Verse?

It might make a slight difference to attitudes on posts on other subjects, you understand.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:45 pm

As I said, Ronnie Park could be making it up but the Nats responses seem to range from 'how dare Labour say that about us?' to 'who cares?'

I've yet to see a denial from anyone at Ministerial level in St Andrew's House.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:39 am

"The leader of Glasgow City Council has called on the Scottish Government to think again over new changes to fuel subsidies for bus companies and to look at regulating the bus industry in the wake of a summit about recent cuts to services in the city.

Bus operators have blamed cuts to the Bus Service Operator Grant (BSOG) they receive and a new cap on concessionary fare reimbursement for service changes which were announced last month - which included the axing of several bus routes in Glasgow and the curtailing of others.

The emergency summit was held in the city chambers on Friday and was attended by Labour, Lib Dem and Green councillors, local bus operators, trade union representatives, the chair of Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT) and the director of the Confederation of Passenger Transport.

Changes to the way the BSOG is calculated means that urban bus operators – such as First in Glasgow - will now receive less subsidy from the government but that the cash given to rural bus networks will increase because the grant is now based on mileage rather than fuel consumption."

Why don't you dig out what Eck and Soupy Soutar have to say?

Spot the flaw in this bit of NatSpeak.

"It is unacceptable and entirely misleading for operators to state that any service level or fare changes are solely down to amendments to the Bus Service Operators Grant scheme when, for Scottish operators as a whole, the change in the BSOG budget represents somewhere around 1-2% of most fares."
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:47 am

john morrow is retiring and all his bus routes are being taken over by firstbus in april.wont affect most on here i know but this company has the best reputation around for their drivers being corteous and keeping to their timetable.i for one will miss them. :cry:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Random Distractions