The best 50 pence you'll never spend

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The best 50 pence you'll never spend

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:40 pm

Tomorrow you have the chance to do something very important.

You don't have to do anything. You don't have to get up early or skip breakfast, miss out on your regular walk or swim, Sunday lunch or a few pints watching the rugby. You can do all the things you usually do and maybe, just maybe, make a difference to the future and it won't cost you anything.

DON'T BUY THE SUN ON SUNDAY.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: The best 50 pence you'll never spend

Postby jodieohdoh » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:49 am

Probly preaching to the converted somewhat, but anyway... Hear hear.
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:26 pm

You'd like to think you could take that for granted, a bit like nobody here votes Tory.

I've never actually met anyone who confesses to reading The Sun but, since they print nearly 3,000,000 copies a day, somebody's buying the damn thing.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Huggy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:01 pm

I've never bought The Sun in my life but let's not forget that the Murdoch family and Labour's high heid yins were at one time joined at the hip, and it was a shite paper then. A future Murdoch/Milliband raprochement, however unlikely at the moment, would lead to the moral high ground being abandoned "toot sweet". Still won't be buying it.
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:23 pm

never have never will ,but i have a friend who buys it daily.i have made it clear to him that he must not bring it in to my house..............ever. :evil:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:10 pm

Huggy wrote:I've never bought The Sun in my life.... Still won't be buying it.

You'll get one free with every referendum on Scottish independence.

Launch is good news

Dear all,
I'M DELIGHTED to see the new edition of The Scottish Sun hit the streets today.
At a time when the media sector — and the economy as a whole — faces tough times,
it's great to see a vote of confidence in the Scottish newspaper industry.

This paper brings the prospect of more jobs and more security to those already in employment.
The Sunday edition of The Scottish Sun is born of turbulent times in the newspaper industry.
The Leveson inquiry is, rightly, looking into some of the issues that have prompted these changes.
But the questions the probe is looking at relate to the industry, not one newspaper or company.

And at a time when it has become all too easy to knock journalism,
it's worth remembering the good newspapers can do.
The Scottish Sun's campaign to sign up organ donors in memory of seven-year-old Cole Gibson is just one example.
The risks journalists face were brought home this week when two were killed in Syria,
including Marie Colvin of The Sunday Times.

At its best journalism informs, entertains and shines a light into murky corners.
It's vital for a healthy democracy. That's why today is an important day
not just for the Scottish newspaper industry but for Scottish public life as a whole.

Scotland's newest Sunday paper will be a fresh and vibrant addition in a nation
that has an insatiable appetite for news.

The independence referendum in autumn 2014 will be chance for the whole country to have their say.

The Scottish Sun will play an important part in the great debate on our future.

So enjoy the first-ever edition of Scotland's newest Sunday paper.
I look forward to returning to these pages in the weeks and months to come!
Yours, Alex Salmond

Read more:
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:28 pm

*facepalm*
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:10 am

Martin Rowson on the Sun on Sunday - cartoon

Rupert Murdoch has pledged his new Sunday tabloid will be fearless, fun, but most of all, ethical

Ta-daaaa!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... rt-murdoch
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby edward carolan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Translation of motto on arch, from google translate
"Lying in the dark with the stars of the sewer"
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:02 pm

Google didn't do latin at school.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Our local paper says that in the Sun on Sunday the Archbishop of York had a column about embracing a new beginning.
There were several pages of an interview with Amanda Holden about her complications in childbirth.
Adele's grandmother was ill while she was attending the Brit awards.

Rupert Murdoch says that three million copies were sold.

Anybody got any questions?
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:53 pm

There was a lot of sarcastic commentary on twitter regarding the ridiculous claim that the Sun on Sunday would be skewed towards women. Quite how they think they achieved that, I'm not sure.
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:06 pm

I'm not sure the latin actually makes sense, but it's along the lines of "lying in the sewer, savaging the stars", a play on the Oscar Wilde quote about the gutter and the stars.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:02 pm

Seen on a large illuminated billboboard from the bus home :

"Stop the SNP Glasgow bus cuts. thelabourparty.org"

Now that we've established that the SLP policy is not to have any policies but just to make stuff up instead, I'm actually finding this stuff quite entertaining.

Note to the usual SLP apologist suspects : I'd like a left-of-centre council/government. My vote has not previously been fixed. But the SLP are doing thir damnedest to ensure that it is.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:53 pm

The cybernats are going apeshit about these posters.

First Bus says (on their website) "First Glasgow is intending to reduce some services across its network from April 29 due to significant cuts in support that bus operators receive from the Scottish Government.

The Scottish Government has announced that it will be implementing far reaching cuts to its BSOG (Bus Service Operators Grant) scheme which partly refunds some of the excise duty bus operators pay on fuel.

In addition, bus operators face a shortfall in funding from the Scottish Government's concessionary fare scheme. Under the scheme operators should receive around two thirds of every concessionary fare. However, the funding allocated by the Scottish Government is being capped and will run out. As a result bus companies are having to absorb the shortfall and therefore receiving significantly less funding than originally outlined by the Scottish Government.

The Scottish Government's decision to cut BSOG and the ongoing uncertainty about concessionary fares mean that we are facing huge financial challenges as these come against a backdrop of rising costs and difficult trading conditions. We are doing all that we can to absorb as much of this shortfall in funding through internal efficiencies but unfortunately the scale of the challenge is such that we have been left with no option but to review our services and fares.

Listed below is advance notification of the changes to services that we intend to make in Glasgow from 29th April and Lanarkshire from 7th May. As these changes have yet to be formally registered with the Scottish Traffic Commissioner, these details may be subject to modification and full details, including revised timetable information for those services affected, will be publicised in advance of the changes taking place in keeping with our normal procedures.

In the meantime, if you would like to comment on any aspect of these proposed changes then please contact us.

Please note also that fare changes are being introduced on 1st April and that full details will be posted on this website from mid March."

Of course, Ronnie Park could be making all this up and simply upping fares in advance of buying a one-way ticket to Monaco.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions