Financial/mortgage adviser recommendation wanted

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Financial/mortgage adviser recommendation wanted

Postby Sharon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:23 pm

So, I am thinking of buying a house and need to speak to someone about mortgages....

A recommendation for someone good, (who can get a good deal for the self employed) would be much appreciated!!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Financial/mortgage adviser recommendation wanted

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:44 pm

I do have a good contact but in the interests of fair play and neutrality - I will not post them on the board. If you contact me, I will gladly pass on the details of the invididual and her company concerned.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:13 am

Possibly not helpful, but I have never had good advice/offers from IFAs or mortgage advisors. They could never match what I could find myself by going direct to lenders in terms of value and suitability. Shopping around the banks in person seems to work for me. After trusting advisors that were recommended to me got burned a couple of times I would not cross any of their doors again.

Sorry it's not more helpful.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:05 am

On the whole, I would agree with the last post but sometimes circumstances make it easier to use an 'inbetween' and yes, you can go direct to the lending institution but that has its drawbacks too.

I usually rely on 'word of mouth' and in this instance, the person was straight about everything from the outset; fees, expectations, responsibilities and code of practice, etc. Like you, I was skeptical and rather cynical but it's a bad day when even two of the 'big lenders' suggested that I use a broker instead of coming directly to them - as my application may have prejudiced future applications - whereas the broker can sometimes circumvent and nagivate their way through a minefield.

I guess it does come down to one's experience of using these folks - I landed lucky but first to admit, I could have got cheaper had I gone direct but not easy when you're 'self-employed' even if that is just a technicality!
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Random Distractions