NOW Scandal

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: NOW Scandal

Postby Mori » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:51 pm

Tears aplenty as Scottish employees fear for jobs

Herald

8 Jul 2011

THERE were tears in the News of the World’s Scottish newsroom in Glasgow as dozens of journalists were told they could lose their jobs.

Many of the staff were sent home early after being told the newspaper would print its final issue this Sunday.
An email was circulated among staff yesterday afternoon before Bob Bird, editor of the newspaper, addressed the newsroom.
Mr Bird, who is popular with the journalists who work for him, is understood to have apologised for the decision of his superiors.
One News of the World journalist, who did not wish to be named, said: “Bob wasn’t crying, but many other journalists were in tears.”
News International will make a formal announcement about jobs tomorrow or early next week, but staff are pessimistic about their prospects.
The Sun looks likely to move to a seven-day operation, but employees fear there are already enough staff working at the Scottish Sun to produce a Sunday newspaper. This means about 30 journalists could be left without a job.
With severe cuts recently announced at Trinity Mirror, which owns the Daily Record and the Sunday Mail, the chances of them getting another job in Scottish journalism are very slim.
The journalist added: “This is a sad day for Scottish journalism. It’s one less newspaper for the public to read and its one less newspaper for Scottish journalists to work for.
“A whole load of journalists are going to lose their jobs at a time when journalism itself is in very bad shape. We have very talented journalists who are going to find it difficult to find work.
“We are hopeful we will be redeployed, but there are healthy staffing levels at The Sun and I suspect there isn’t enough space for excess News of the World journalists.”
The source claimed phone-hacking was unknown in the newspaper, adding: “There has never been a culture of phone hacking at the News of the World Scotland. I couldn’t even tell you how to hack a phone. The majority of journalists haven’t done anything wrong.”
News International staff were told last week that a single managing editor had been appointed who would oversee The Sun and the News of the World, while another would oversee The Times and The Sunday Times.
The new title is likely to be called the Sun on Sunday and internet domains have been registered for the new title.
In London, there were gasps in the Wapping newsroom as journalists reached the line in James Murdoch’s statement which said: “This Sunday will be the last issue of the News of the World.”
A unnamed source told Sky News there was “mass anger in the newsroom, much of it directed at Rebekah Brooks”, who broke the news to staff.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:12 pm

aland wrote:it certainly wont do Tommy's appeal any harm, we all know the scum and NOTW are just vermin, the day those 2 rags ever print the truth will be the day I win the F1 title

Did I hear Aamer Anwer correctly when I think he said he wanted the judicial enquiry Camoron was forced to call the other day should investigate what happened in Sheridan's case?

An English High Court judge second guessing the affairs (sorry!) of the High Court of the Justiciary?

Salmond won't like that one bit.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hound dog » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:43 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Did I hear Aamer Anwer correctly when I think he said he wanted the judicial enquiry Camoron was forced to call the other day should investigate what happened in Sheridan's case?

That was my understanding of what he said, or at least he definitely stated that he wanted the judicial inquiry to cover Scotland. Interesting one given the Salmond/McAskill outrage at any "interference" in the Scottish legal system from south of the border
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:59 pm

Chances are the English judiciary wouldn't go near the subject, really.

Somebody suggested that News International have intended to move their papers more onto a seven day basis for a while, for reasons of economy - meaning that much of the current Sunday Times and News of the World staff and setup would be going. Could be that they've just pushed forward part of their plan a bit early, in an attempt to limit damage to the organisation - and take the opportunity to get rid of a bunch of employees who would be facing losing their jobs anyway. Murdoch being bold, opportunistic and utterly cynical? Heaven forbid!
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:12 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:Chances are the English judiciary wouldn't go near the subject, really.

Someone is going have to investigate the Sheridan/ NotW connection and I can't see Salmond agreeing to pay for the enquiry.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:34 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
Lucky Poet wrote:Chances are the English judiciary wouldn't go near the subject, really.

Someone is going have to investigate the Sheridan/ NotW connection and I can't see Salmond agreeing to pay for the enquiry.

He wont, every idiot who pays tax will, then well pay compensation to him, like we do the other crims
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Mori wrote:This means about 30 journalists could be left without a job.
With severe cuts recently announced at Trinity Mirror, which owns the Daily Record and the Sunday Mail, the chances of them getting another job in Scottish journalism are very slim.

I suppose it would be insensitive to point out at this juncture that, according to the average NOTW "journalist", the unemployed get free 3-bedroom houses and 30k+ a year in benefits, so they have nothing to worry about?
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:04 pm

What about Her Majesty's five-star hotels that they'll be staying in while waiting for their council houses?
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Well, they're full of asylum seekers.
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:17 pm

Ah. I appear to have missed the point slightly.
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:38 pm

Mark N wrote:
Mori wrote:This means about 30 journalists could be left without a job.

I suppose it would be insensitive to point out at this juncture that, according to the average NOTW "journalist", the unemployed get free 3-bedroom houses and 30k+ a year in benefits, so they have nothing to worry about?

Theyll be looking forward to the pay rise then
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:43 am

*sigh*
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby jodieohdoh » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:51 am

jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:00 am

Saddened to hear from my newsagent that he had been supplied with more than the usual number of NotWs this morning and that some customers were buying two or three copies.
Who was it that said that no-one ever lost money underestimating public taste?

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:21 am

Really enjoyable to see, firstly, Hugh Grant sucker-punch the odious Douglas Alexander on his ties to Murdoch, then Steve Coogan rip into an awful journalist trying to justify hacking.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFnNOac2F1s

http://www.holymoly.com/celebrity/video ... night57969
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions