Where Was Your First Full-time Job?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Where Was Your First Full-time Job?

Postby Bridie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:43 am

Mine was in RM Easdale scrap metal dealers in Washington Street as an office junior.
Old circa 1940's offices with dark warehouse attached owned for yonks by the Easdale family who came from the Isle of Easdale.
Old Mr Easdale's office on the top floor and his secretary who smirked when I (age 16) said I wanted to complain about the office chairs snagging my tights.

"Mr Easdale will see you now"
Me "Could you provide new chairs for the office staff Mr Easdale?"
Mr Easdale- choking "Don't be daft girl, they're antiques I can't replace them"
Last edited by Bridie on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Where Was Your First Full-time Job?

Postby scaryman2u » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:01 am

Bridie, the last time I was in Easdale`s a couple of years ago the office was still full of antiques as are most scrap metal dealers offices.

My first full-time job was in Jebb Bros ( now Smurfit Kappa ) waste paper recyclers on Vermont St Kinning Park, shithole of a place.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:28 am

scaryman2u wrote:Bridie, the last time I was in Easdale`s a couple of years ago the office was still full of antiques as are most scrap metal dealers offices.

My first full-time job was in Jebb Bros ( now Smurfit Kappa ) waste paper recyclers on Vermont St Kinning Park, shithole of a place.

is taht not where the American series of The Office is based?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:30 am

I was a copy boy on the Evening Citizen. I loved it, and looked forward to a career in journalism. When I had worked up to head boy, the next editorial/dark room/case room job should have been mine. A couple of reporters left, and a sub editor died. I should have been up for one of those jobs, but the positions remained unfilled. I saw which way the wind was blowing and left a few months before it shut down.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:33 am

John Smith & Son Booksellers and Stationers Ltd. 69 Kent Road

Great place and a good company, even though pay was poor (as most first jobs are). Worked in Despatch department and sent books all over the world. I dealt mainly with local, regional and national despatch therefore I covered the whole of the UK. Whereas my mate worked with the International side of things, boxes of books going over to Saudi and Dubai Universities in the knowledge that tbe boxes once they left our place would take years to be delivered. As they would all go into a container somewhere and once the containers were full (and a good number of them) then and only then would they be delivered. So the latest book could be years out of date by the time it reached the Middle East....

And with a healty 33% discount on books it was a good place to buy your pals their educational books.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:49 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
scaryman2u wrote:Bridie, the last time I was in Easdale`s a couple of years ago the office was still full of antiques as are most scrap metal dealers offices.

is taht not where the American series of The Office is based?

I had to google that as I don`t watch the telly, but I see your logic.
Had to google taht too, i`m guessing it`s definition 3. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taht
Where was your first job Dex ?
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:03 am

Trainee manager with CJ Lang and Son ltd, at the time they were trading as Freshways, which came from 10 old shoppers paradises, all the shops now trade as Spar, altho they are the company owned dept, lasted 10yrs with them brfore i left, place was full of back stabbing bastards and thieves who only survived cos they were friends with the area managers, they all got found out GOOD
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:47 am

Is Easdale's still there? 8O
Young Mr E must be old Mr E now ::):
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:16 pm

scaryman2u wrote:Had to google taht too, i`m guessing it`s definition 3. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taht

I'm independently wealthy.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:39 pm

Bridie wrote:

Is Easdale's still there? 8O
Young Mr E must be old Mr E now ::):

Still there to my knowledge Bridie and the best payer of bulk non-ferrous metals in the city.
Last edited by scaryman2u on Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:42 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
scaryman2u wrote:Had to google taht too, i`m guessing it`s definition 3. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taht

I'm independently wealthy.

Silver-spoon syndrome then :roll: :wink:
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:37 pm

My first paying job as an adult was as a member of HM Forces. 14 months in, bolloxed my knee and that, as they say, was that.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dougie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:06 pm

tobester wrote:Trainee manager with CJ Lang and Son ltd, at the time they were trading as Freshways, which came from 10 old shoppers paradises, all the shops now trade as Spar, altho they are the company owned dept, lasted 10yrs with them brfore i left, place was full of back stabbing bastards and thieves who only survived cos they were friends with the area managers, they all got found out GOOD

I also worked for Freshways as a trainee manager nearly 20 years ago for the pricely annual sum of £6350 rising to an inflation busting £7396 for a 60 hour week. The laughs never started, though I lasted a year before leaving to go back to college and get out of retail after my charming boss told me I was 'too useless' to be a Freshways manager (probably true to be fair). Funnily enough, about a month after I departed, the guy was sacked for selling a couple of bicycles that had been kicking about in the storeroom for ages and pocketing the cash.
Dougie
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:08 pm

Dougie wrote:
tobester wrote:Trainee manager with CJ Lang and Son ltd, at the time they were trading as Freshways, which came from 10 old shoppers paradises, all the shops now trade as Spar, altho they are the company owned dept, lasted 10yrs with them brfore i left, place was full of back stabbing bastards and thieves who only survived cos they were friends with the area managers, they all got found out GOOD

I also worked for Freshways as a trainee manager nearly 20 years ago for the pricely annual sum of £6350 rising to an inflation busting £7396 for a 60 hour week. The laughs never started, though I lasted a year before leaving to go back to college and get out of retail after my charming boss told me I was 'too useless' to be a Freshways manager (probably true to be fair). Funnily enough, about a month after I departed, the guy was sacked for selling a couple of bicycles that had been kicking about in the storeroom for ages and pocketing the cash.

::): ::):
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:01 pm

I worked as a shop assistant for Safeway Stores PLC, left just prior to the Morrisonzilla eating them for tea.
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions