Where Was Your First Full-time Job?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Where Was Your First Full-time Job?

Postby tobester » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:56 pm

Dougie wrote:
tobester wrote:Trainee manager with CJ Lang and Son ltd, at the time they were trading as Freshways, which came from 10 old shoppers paradises, all the shops now trade as Spar, altho they are the company owned dept, lasted 10yrs with them brfore i left, place was full of back stabbing bastards and thieves who only survived cos they were friends with the area managers, they all got found out GOOD

I also worked for Freshways as a trainee manager nearly 20 years ago for the pricely annual sum of £6350 rising to an inflation busting £7396 for a 60 hour week. The laughs never started, though I lasted a year before leaving to go back to college and get out of retail after my charming boss told me I was 'too useless' to be a Freshways manager (probably true to be fair). Funnily enough, about a month after I departed, the guy was sacked for selling a couple of bicycles that had been kicking about in the storeroom for ages and pocketing the cash.

What store, i started in july 1991 at westwood square, before moving to broomhill (where i started out as a part timer in 88), then clarkston, thornliebank (where i got promoted), back to broomhill as asst manager, erskine, coatbridge sunnyside, then down to gala as manager, crofthead, bathgate (full of lying w@nkers), sunnyside then finally wishaw
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bcuk10 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:37 pm

My first real full-time job was as a porter for John Menzies plc 20 Buchanan street Glasgow the building was the old Wyile Hills toy store, there is a corridor that runs from the basement under the Argyle arcade taking you to an annex building witch was the former Cranstons Tea Room witch we used as a pram and toy storage area. our rubbish room door leads into Morrison crt beside Sloans pub. great old building and a great time of my life late 1970s. :D :D

ps the old corridor that runs from the basement area of 20 buchanan st under the Argyle arcade had a section of arches painted white and first aid post in red writing on them, we worked it out to be near to the sloans pub entrance in the arcade as we traced the glass circles which were on the roof of the corridor and you seem them on the arcade floor.

This is how they are selling the building now.
formerly Wylie Hills Toy Shop, have been increased by extending the ground, first and second floor into the Grade A listed building behind. The facade of the former Cranstons Tea Room has been retained.
bcuk10
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:01 am

Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) in Ayr. Shit wages but got paid to learn computer plumbing and to speak 'Broad Ayrshire', or at least understand some of it.

They had moisturiser in pump dispensers in the toilets. Remember being told by a gruff ex-miner to use the stuff as the de-humidified air in the plant wreaked havoc with your hands. Which of course explains why so many shift supervisors kept their hands in their pockets.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:34 am

Bing Buzby wrote: 'Broad Ayrshire'

It was a real culture shock, when I first mover to Hurlford. People talking about key and yows, and strach up the brae, and whit kinna pruch they got.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pamd » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:10 pm

My first full time job was a bit of a culture shock. Bridgeton Benefit Office - lovely people and 'interesting' customers. Always remember Thursdays 'P.I.' days (personal issue) where we handed over giros direct to the homeless. C.O.B. Thursday usually revealed an assortment of unusual 'deposits' on the floor behind the counter!
My treasures do not ching together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night - Bedouin proverb
pamd
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dougie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:47 pm

tobester wrote:
Dougie wrote:
tobester wrote:Trainee manager with CJ Lang and Son ltd, at the time they were trading as Freshways, which came from 10 old shoppers paradises, all the shops now trade as Spar, altho they are the company owned dept, lasted 10yrs with them brfore i left, place was full of back stabbing bastards and thieves who only survived cos they were friends with the area managers, they all got found out GOOD

I also worked for Freshways as a trainee manager nearly 20 years ago for the pricely annual sum of £6350 rising to an inflation busting £7396 for a 60 hour week. The laughs never started, though I lasted a year before leaving to go back to college and get out of retail after my charming boss told me I was 'too useless' to be a Freshways manager (probably true to be fair). Funnily enough, about a month after I departed, the guy was sacked for selling a couple of bicycles that had been kicking about in the storeroom for ages and pocketing the cash.

What store, i started in july 1991 at westwood square, before moving to broomhill (where i started out as a part timer in 88), then clarkston, thornliebank (where i got promoted), back to broomhill as asst manager, erskine, coatbridge sunnyside, then down to gala as manager, crofthead, bathgate (full of lying w@nkers), sunnyside then finally wishaw

I started and finished at Wishaw 1990-91, though I did do a week at Leven as cover. Bloody horrible company,but a job was a job in those days.
Dougie
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:08 pm

Dougie wrote:
tobester wrote:
Dougie wrote:

I started and finished at Wishaw 1990-91, though I did do a week at Leven as cover. Bloody horrible company,but a job was a job in those days.

Thats weird i finished at wishaw
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:01 pm

hungryjoe wrote:

People talking about key and yows, and strach up the brae, and whit kinna pruch they got.

Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:09 pm

Josef wrote:
hungryjoe wrote:

People talking about key and yows, and strach up the brae, and whit kinna pruch they got.

Nice version of that, but an utterly shite Ayrshire accent. Ayrshire folk say ca' the way we describe the cry of a crow.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Random Distractions