arseholes on wheels

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: arseholes on wheels

Postby Doorstop » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:26 pm

I plead the fifth on the grounds that any answer I give will tend to incriminate the fuck out of me.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby 2HB » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:42 pm

I only looked because i thought it was about those 3 pricks on Top Gear.
2HB
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:27 am

Nope. It's not even about caravans.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:24 am

I believe they are planning to introduce a Bill here in N.Ireland where cyclists may have a £50.00 penalty charge
imposed if they are caught without a helmet or in charge of children with no headgear.

I do think that there are some bad drivers here in Belfast but equally I regularly see cyclists who come
squeezing up the side of cars nearly taking the paint off and then racing through every red light.

This story appeared in our local paper last summer.
www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/new/local-na ... 94817.html
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:39 am

in australia and new zealand it is compulsory to wear a cycle helmet one of our members has a cycling holiday in aus and new zealand every year and he told me this
it was mooted 2001 by the labour goverment to make cycle helmets compulsory and the idea was rejected but to encourage wearing helmets gordon brown the chancellor at the time made cycle helmets vat exempt
also with all the crime nowadays i would have thought the police would have plenty to do without hassling cyclists and imposing yet another stealth tax ie £50 fixed penalty notice ::):
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:52 am

A little game.

Has anyone ever not driven their car on the roads because they are scared an irresponsible or careless cyclist with a bad attitude might kill them?

Has anyone ever not cycled their bike on the roads because they are scared an irresponsible or careless car driver with a bad attitude might kill them?

Spot the difference....

You don't know who your other road users are, you don't know what their level of experience or confidence is, you don't know how they might behave in any given situation, you just need to always allow a bit of space for unexpected things to happen - same as not tailgating. And chill the fuck out, there's no need to be angry,its not a war or competition. The roads aren't the place to "teach people lessons" and everyone has the right to be on them.

(and before anyone chips in, HGVs and buses are omitted from this game, where they might be scared they kill an irresponsible or inexperienced cyclist)
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby helpmaboab » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:20 am

Oh this could be interesting. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

As a pedestrian and driver and a cyclist I see all sides and yes there are many faults on all sides. It’s far from one sided as some think. The problems and causes are different for each side and the consequences are rather different too.

I drive (and walk) much more than I cycle and do both in town and out of town, on busy roads and quiet roads and paths where applicable/available. I have to say that whilst I encounter a lot of inconsiderate, dangerous and downright stupid cyclists when I’m driving (mainly no lights dressed in black when it’s dark or ridding through red lights, oh and no helmet), I do encounter far more inconsiderate or dangerous drivers (mainly not allowing sufficient space for cyclists or over taking then cutting left in front of you, oh and cars parked on those cycle lanes for bikes).

However, I think I have generated far more tolerance for everyone on the road than most road users by understanding what you face when cycling and what you face when driving. You have to think for everyone else and try to second guess what they may do next so you’re ready to react. This has saved my bacon many times when I’ve been on my bike and it’s saved a cyclists bacon too when I’ve been driving.

In my mind there are a number of reasons for the resultant aggravation between pedestrians – cyclists – drivers, and unfortunately they seem slightly biased towards the cyclists, but that’s just from my broad experience of all modes of transport but I’m not for a minute suggesting it’s absolute fact (cue the retort from arrogant drivers :x who only see the drivers point of view….).

ALL users are simply not knowledgeable of the highway code, and not just to their mode of transport, but all users (how many people on here still know all/most of the rules and know the rules for other modes of transport other than their own?)

Cyclists not wearing suitable clothing, helmet, with front and back working lights.
Lack of proper infrastructure and suitably designed and constructed paths / roads and signage to suit pedestrian / cycle / vehicle environments. Have you seen the half arsed cycle paths and the non-existent lane markings these days?

Then when there are designated cycle paths, they are blocked by parked cars, street furniture, littered with pot holes/deep drain gulleys, etc. They start then stop then start again meaning cyclists have to get off and on their bike at kerbs and so on.

Cyclists are not welcome on designated cycle paths by pedestrian or joggers (who can’t hear your bell to warn your behind then cause they’ve got their iPod on then have a go at you for trying to cycle past at a slow speed and they got a fright), and cyclists are not welcome on roads by drivers. So cyclists are stuck in no-man’s land loved by no-one :cry: (not expecting much sympathy here….)
helpmaboab
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby helpmaboab » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:49 am

Josef wrote:Thank you, Rab. I second Sharon's comment, as I'm sure Lucky Poet will do.

third-ed
helpmaboab
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby the researcher » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:24 pm

with reference to cyclists and pedestrians on cycle paths the paths ive been on usually have a sign warning cyclists of pedestrians and horses unless of course the local neds have ripped them down and sold them for scrap metal so they could get money to buy cider
as regards bells the stupid pinger bells are about much use as a punctured spare inner tube on a vcc cycle run ::):
the bell i have is a double sided dutch bicycle bell and is very loud apparently in holland mopeds use cycle paths and have to have these bells fitted to warn pedestrians
these bells can be obtained in your local cycle shop usually retailing for about £7 ive also seen them on ebay but the asking price was £12 plus postage!
ive found this bell very effective when on cycle paths and can also be heard when wearing an ipod or mp3 player so if a jogger doesnt hear your bell tough tittie
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:58 am

The thing is -

Well, one of the things is -

On shared paths if I cycle along even ping-ping-pinging continuously (let alone sounding like an old-style police car bell) it feels as though I'm trying to barge people out of the way. And some of them react as if they think they're being barged out of the way.

And the commonest reaction from someone hearing a bike bell behind them is to (1) stop dead where they are (in the middle of the path) (2) slowly turn round and peer behind them (3) appear shocked when the approaching bike nearly crashes into them. Then the poor cyclist, who's done their best to indicate their approach politely, not only has to heave themself back into the saddle, get going, and build up their momentum again, but has to field the waves of resentment from the peds.

The strangest thing is, when I'm walking on a shared path and hear a bike bell behind me I have to work really hard not to (1) stop dead, (2) peer round, etc, etc, etc. Now I try and remember to stick to the side of the path, or if I'm not on my own and we hear a bell, move to the side first, then peer round. But it's sooooo hard.

And please don't any non-cyclists say bikes shouldn't be speeding along on shared paths - The easy speed for a bike is just faster than the easy speed for a walker (or what's the point?). Besides, on even gently uphill bits, if you haven't cycled as an adult, you have no idea of the preciousness a bit of hard-won speed. When got on a bike with all those gears I assumed it would be like driving - change down and carry on a the same speed............. Big mistake.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:59 am

And another thing -

Have you got any idea how difficult it is to steer straight when you're going slowly?
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:12 pm

Sunflower wrote:And another thing -

Have you got any idea how difficult it is to steer straight when you're going slowly?

Yes.

Basically, if you can't steer straight on a bicycle at low speed, stay off the ones with engines. That's part of the test for motorcycles!!
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:39 pm

Bicycle helmets might actually cause more harm than good. There's a lot of contradictory data and no scientific consensus. I'm just saying.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:32 pm

as regards the bell i have on my bike and as to how it sounds the best description is that it makes a very loud ding dong noise simlar to a house ding dong door bell
ive also found when on cycle paths near houses that if i have to ring my bell that it makes dogs bark::):
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby aland » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:57 pm

only got 2 problems with cyclists, 1 too many dont bother wearing hi-vis or using lights, trust me a hi-vis tabard is probably better than a wee light for spotting you in the dark. 2 cyclists dont have to have insurance, any other road user must have
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions