IDS calls "War!" on the Great Unwashed.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: IDS calls "War!" on the Great Unwashed.

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon May 05, 2014 8:50 am

pingu wrote:foodbanks?
what you moaning about....your only making the best of your "economic choices"
sanctioned from benefits?
thank you for making us try harder to find work.

The dramatic rise in food banks across Scotland is the result of hard-up Scots making the most of their “economic choices”, a UK government welfare chief has claimed.

Neil Couling, work services director at the Department for Work and Pensions, also told Holyrood’s welfare reform committee yesterday that Jobcentre staff received “thank you” notes from people facing benefit sanctions.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... witterfeed

I don't give anything to foodbanks out of principle. Not because I don't care about those in need, but because I look at the whole situation and ask myself - why does the UK as the fourth richest nation (supposedly...) actually HAVE foodbanks in the first place?? The system is broken somewhere along the line. Don't know what other's opinions are but it seems IDS' would reintroduce us to the Victorian poorhouse if he could get away with it.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Wed May 07, 2014 4:14 pm

RapidAssistant wrote: Don't know what other's opinions are but it seems IDS' would reintroduce us to the Victorian poorhouse if he could get away with it.

And if he announced tomorrow he was going to do exactly that, who would stop him?

Would the good people say, "Enough is enough? Let's do something about the state of this great country of ours"?

Or would they say, "I'm alright Jack! As long as it's not this guy"?

I'm thinking it'll be the latter as usual but do PM me when the revolution begins.
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri May 09, 2014 11:49 am

Smith and his cohorts are already planning on workhouses. It's getting more like Weimar Germany with every passing moment.

http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... ed-people/
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri May 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Ephemerid, a regular contributor to the Grauniad (and an unemployed disabled person) on McVile and her bullshit about ZHC's and Universal Credit.

"What she is claiming is not - to use her favourite word - correct.
UC will, according to the DWPs own guidance, be assessed monthly.
The payment will be calculated by - the claimant updating their part of the system with hours worked etc.; the employer and HMRC updating their part with tax and NI conts; DWP ensuring all benefits have been accounted for (as some are calculated in the means test for UC and some aren't); and the local authority ensuring that HB and CTB is calculated correctly. All this has to be done in real time every month.
After that, the UC claim must pass muster with the jobcentre adviser/coach or the Work Programme provider - as all claimants are required to jobsearch under UC, the ones who work must do so for 35 hours a week minus the hours they work.
Failure to comply with the conditions means sanction; in the case of UC the entire claim (including HB) will be sanctioned for a minimum of 4 weeks with repeat "offences" leading to sanctions of up to 3 years.
McVey neglects to mention that the Labour Market Survey shows that ZHCs were steady at about 200,000 or below from 2000 to 2012; in 2013 that increased to 300,000, and it's nearly 600,000 now.
She also doesn't say that if you have one ZHC, the jobcentre will be able to insist that you apply for as many more as necessary for you to reach the UC financial cut-off point of 35 hours a week at NMW.
All UC claimants will have to apply for more or better work - and it is the jobcentre who decides what this means. McVey is pretending that having a ZHC - or several - will mean that you can keep on claiming UC and get, as she says, "more money". This is totally untrue.
Various charities and bloggers have worked out what UC actually does; as all claims are means-tested, including claims where there is a pensioner in the household, there is a cut-off point. Someone currently claiming tax credits and housing support can expect to keep, on average, 75 pence in every pound earned; under UC this falls to 65p.
Universal credit will make work pay.....LESS.
I know it, IDS knows it, many many others know it.
McVey probably knows it too, but as we know she likes making stuff up whilst simultaneously murdering the language to such an extent that most of her screechings are unintelligible.
If UC is ever rolled out nationwide, it will affect 9 million people.
If McVey or anyone else at DWP seriously thinks we believe that all those people are going to be better off than they are now, they are even more stupid than I thought they were.
Today the government released its' figures on the benefit cap. Those figures show that about a tenth of all the capped households had, at some point in the year, an open claim for working tax credits which rendered them exempt from the cap. The figures do not show that the 5,700 claims concerned represented all those people getting work; all they show is that a small proportion of people who were previously capped had some periods of time when they weren't.
CCHQ has been tweeting away with the news that 100 people a week are finding work as a direct result of the cap - which is arrant nonsense. The report itself notes that caution should be employed in drawing conclusions from the data.....
We have been, and are being, lied to on a massive scale."
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sandabound » Fri May 09, 2014 2:35 pm

Doorstop wrote:Ephemerid, a regular contributor to the Grauniad (and an unemployed disabled person) on McVile and her bullshit about ZHC's and Universal Credit.

"What she is claiming is not - to use her favourite word - correct.
UC will, according to the DWPs own guidance, be assessed monthly.
The payment will be calculated by - the claimant updating their part of the system with hours worked etc.; the employer and HMRC updating their part with tax and NI conts; DWP ensuring all benefits have been accounted for (as some are calculated in the means test for UC and some aren't); and the local authority ensuring that HB and CTB is calculated correctly. All this has to be done in real time every month.
After that, the UC claim must pass muster with the jobcentre adviser/coach or the Work Programme provider - as all claimants are required to jobsearch under UC, the ones who work must do so for 35 hours a week minus the hours they work.
Failure to comply with the conditions means sanction; in the case of UC the entire claim (including HB) will be sanctioned for a minimum of 4 weeks with repeat "offences" leading to sanctions of up to 3 years.
McVey neglects to mention that the Labour Market Survey shows that ZHCs were steady at about 200,000 or below from 2000 to 2012; in 2013 that increased to 300,000, and it's nearly 600,000 now.
She also doesn't say that if you have one ZHC, the jobcentre will be able to insist that you apply for as many more as necessary for you to reach the UC financial cut-off point of 35 hours a week at NMW.
All UC claimants will have to apply for more or better work - and it is the jobcentre who decides what this means. McVey is pretending that having a ZHC - or several - will mean that you can keep on claiming UC and get, as she says, "more money". This is totally untrue.
Various charities and bloggers have worked out what UC actually does; as all claims are means-tested, including claims where there is a pensioner in the household, there is a cut-off point. Someone currently claiming tax credits and housing support can expect to keep, on average, 75 pence in every pound earned; under UC this falls to 65p.
Universal credit will make work pay.....LESS.
I know it, IDS knows it, many many others know it.
McVey probably knows it too, but as we know she likes making stuff up whilst simultaneously murdering the language to such an extent that most of her screechings are unintelligible.
If UC is ever rolled out nationwide, it will affect 9 million people.
If McVey or anyone else at DWP seriously thinks we believe that all those people are going to be better off than they are now, they are even more stupid than I thought they were.
Today the government released its' figures on the benefit cap. Those figures show that about a tenth of all the capped households had, at some point in the year, an open claim for working tax credits which rendered them exempt from the cap. The figures do not show that the 5,700 claims concerned represented all those people getting work; all they show is that a small proportion of people who were previously capped had some periods of time when they weren't.
CCHQ has been tweeting away with the news that 100 people a week are finding work as a direct result of the cap - which is arrant nonsense. The report itself notes that caution should be employed in drawing conclusions from the data.....
We have been, and are being, lied to on a massive scale."

Might not affect Scotland after the 18/09/2014 :wink:
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri May 09, 2014 2:57 pm

One can but hope.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri May 09, 2014 6:25 pm

You'd be better off praying.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri May 09, 2014 6:35 pm

WHIT! with all the trouble that causes.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri May 09, 2014 6:54 pm

:D
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri May 09, 2014 10:43 pm

Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sandabound » Sat May 10, 2014 1:58 pm

Doorstop wrote:One can but hope.

:D
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun May 11, 2014 6:13 pm

As much as I disagree with the idea, it's not exactly new is it?
Dentists on the NHS can and do charge for a missed appointment.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sun May 11, 2014 8:03 pm

This isn't a charge for missed appointments though, is it?

It's a charge for an appointment, full stop, and the end of one of the principle tenets of the NHS i.e. being free at the point of use.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon May 12, 2014 9:24 am

check out denis curran on you tube.poverty simple and powerful truth.strong stuff that needed saying.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon May 12, 2014 10:30 am

Aye Banjo, I've been posting that on Facebook for a couple of days now.

Powerful words indeed.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions