What's in a name?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby mooshimooshisan » Sun May 29, 2005 4:27 pm

There is a little girl in the court where I live called Autumn - but as it's Maryhill it's more like auuu-um. Her pal is called SERRRRRRRRRAH (always at top volume).

my work has an office in bangkok and because the thais have unfeasably long names for our Western tongues to master, they all go with nicknames that they make up for themselves... thus we have a panny, visit, apple and everyone's favourite... jobby - i kid you not. No one has had the heart to tell him yet 8O
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun May 29, 2005 7:40 pm

mooshimooshisan wrote:my work has an office in bangkok and because the thais have unfeasably long names for our Western tongues to master, they all go with nicknames that they make up for themselves... thus we have a panny, visit, apple and everyone's favourite... jobby - i kid you not. No one has had the heart to tell him yet 8O

Same here MS, except in our case it's Taiwan. Would you believe "Willy Laung" & "Willy Haung"? Image
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun May 29, 2005 8:38 pm

Sometime during the nineteen seventies the Dutch government appointed a Dr. Robert Fack as their ambassador to the United Kingdom. In Dutch the short vowel 'a' is pronounced as a 'u'. One would have liked to have been a fly on the wall during his presentation to Her Britannic Majesty. Diplomatic receptions too must have a little less stuffy than normal.

Actually, this has just reminded me of a very old but rather good joke concerning Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands and a squadron of Fokker aeroplanes. But it is too long to tell here and in any case only really works in Dutch.

Continuing the vulgar theme, I once, through my work, had dealings with a Korean called Bumsuk. The Koreans are formal people who prefer to be addressed by their surnames, which in his case was probably just as well.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Tue May 31, 2005 12:53 pm

One of the places I used to work had a client called Ching Kee.

My dad also works in a well known bank and has had a Mr Shittah. He's got a few other cracking names .. I'll have a word with him!
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Seamey » Tue May 31, 2005 1:37 pm

I heard Glasgow Uni has a chinese post grad student officially registered as Nonly Gonly. His name is just NG, but the staff couldn't cope so he ended up as N(only) G(only).
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue May 31, 2005 2:42 pm

I had a lecturer called Chinky Zu.. nice bloke but he did sniff a lot

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby trickntoots » Tue May 31, 2005 3:09 pm

Years ago there were a few names that stated exactly what political path the parents were on....

Trotsky McGuiness. Red Glesca era Mommas and Pappas.

I know of a Chykoskay(aye, it was spelled that way. They were not well read parents.) He took on the shortened version of Chuck and hopefully he has a crazy sense of humour. Too many people heard his real name the day he got married.
trickntoots
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue May 31, 2005 4:24 pm

Thought of this the other day when I caught the tail end of one of the Alien Nation films.

Those nice Americans gave all the incomers cute names when they registered them for citizenship, such as Sam Francisco.

Give in, can't remember any others.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:06 am

Apollo wrote:Give in, can't remember any others.

Dela Ware?
Ida Ho?
Mary Land?
Flory Da?
Missy Sippy?
Miss Ouri?
Minni Sota?

:oops: Jaykit, nail, shoogly?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:10 pm

just heard on the radio that last year 3500 weans were given names unique to them. including;
a boy called sunny wolverine
a girl called texas (sounds like a c&w song)
and also a handful of brats called maximus and cassius.
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:51 pm

There was a Lenin too ::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:22 pm

Cassius isn't all that far out. The legendary American boxer Muhammad Ali was called Cassius Clay originally. I think I'd have been quite proud to have been called Cassius. Sunny Wolverine now, that's a different matter altogether. His parents should have been hung, drawn and quartered in public..............
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:33 pm

I know a few years back that there was a girl registered with the name Pocahontas McLaughlin
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Margaret » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:49 am

My son went to school with a boy called Hamish McDonald, nothing unusual in that except that this boy was Chinese, fist child of the family born in Scotland.
When his parents bought their flat there was an old brass name plate on the door "McDonald" so to honour their new country and home they called their son by the most Scottish name they could think.
Margaret
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:47 am

There once was a man called Mr Snow who married a girl called June, on their wedding night Mr Snow uttered the immortal line "Well how do you like snow in June", to which the reply came " Aye if only it was a couple of inches deeper" :D

As told by the late great Hector Nichol
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions