Madeleine

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby tedmaul » Thu May 10, 2007 10:40 am

Josef wrote:However, dozens of people go missing every day. The message here is (in my opinion) that you are only of worth if you are photogenic, photogenic generally meaning young, female and blonde.

Or four years old. I think you forgot that bit. Unless you're seriously suggesting that four year old children are regularly being abducted but it's not being reported because they're not, in your words, 'female and blonde'. I hope that's not what you're seriously suggesting.

I remember the same sort of snobbery being directed at the parents of Sarah Payne. Their perceived 'stupidity' had somehow contributed to a monster abducting, raping and killing their child. What a truly heartless world we now live in. God help us.
Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Thu May 10, 2007 12:06 pm

Graham wrote:if you have young kids of your own perhaps instead of berrating the McCanns you should be thinking "there but for the grace of God go I"

Unless you're an atheist of course.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Thu May 10, 2007 12:19 pm

Schiehallion wrote:
Graham wrote:if you have young kids of your own perhaps instead of berrating the McCanns you should be thinking "there but for the grace of God go I"

In which case you would,of course,be happy to find yourself facing such a trauma :roll:
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu May 10, 2007 12:20 pm

My goodness what a totally useless thread topic.

Of course we would all like to see MADELEINE home, but has this topic been started so that we can put our tuppence worth into the raising of a child? im sure the parents have learned a dear lesson but hindsight is a wonderous thing.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Thu May 10, 2007 12:28 pm

My Kitten wrote:My goodness what a totally useless thread topic.

Of course we would all like to see MADELEINE home, but has this topic been started so that we can put our tuppence worth into the raising of a child? im sure the parents have learned a dear lesson but hindsight is a wonderous thing.

spot on
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Thu May 10, 2007 12:33 pm

You also need to remember they were on holiday. Peoples guards tend to drop on holiday. Even more so, I suspect, in what was percieved as a "safe" enclosed complex. I try to think of myself somewhere like Butlins. I could very easily see myself leaving my (not that I have any) kids sleeping 50-100 yards away while I went to dinner, especially if i could see the apartment they are in.

Dunno though! I wasn't there. The main thing is that She gets found safe'n'sound. I just hope it's an upset Woman that has her.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bluepeterno1 » Thu May 10, 2007 1:56 pm

The topic was started ,so if the mccann family ever read it ,they would at least see that some Glagow folk were thinking about them .dont see why it is a useless topic ,as it seems to be the Topic which is on every newspaper and news programm in the country just now, and must be spoken about all over the world .I have lost two baby boys through natural causes , and that was bad enough , but not knowing where your child has gone ,or what is being, or has been done to her must be dreadfull , her parents will have a lifetime to reproach themselves over what has happened ,but most people will just go on with there lifes untill something similar happens to them.

bluepeterno1
bluepeterno1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu May 10, 2007 2:07 pm

The point i am making is that we can empathise with their feelings but what else is to be said? Im sure their first thought is on finding their daughter rather than worrying that people on a website are thinking about them.

We all have lost people, naturally or unnaturally and I cannot fathom how they are feeling at this moment in time and hopefully will not. However, if posting on a board makes you feel better then do it, I think a card addressed to the parents empathising with their lose would be better than pontificating on a website.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Thu May 10, 2007 2:14 pm

I think the thread was started with good intentions but perhaps it's time to draw a line under the topic before it degenerates into something else altogether......over to the mod squad :wink:
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bluepeterno1 » Thu May 10, 2007 2:33 pm

Hes Graham time to draw a line especially with some of the comments , posted from people spouting big words , such as pontificating, should try looking up the meaning of some words such as moderator (to moderate ,to be moderate.It will be my last word on the subject.

bluepeterno1
bluepeterno1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Thu May 10, 2007 3:59 pm

Josef wrote:Not that I wish to be unsympathetic, but as I pass yet another billboard saying 'Police hunt for Maddie continues' or somesuch, the only thing that crosses my mind is 'Have they tried Sauchiehall Street on a Saturday night?'

Glad I'm not the only one who made that connection! :wink:
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu May 10, 2007 7:40 pm

tedmaul wrote:
Josef wrote:However, dozens of people go missing every day. The message here is (in my opinion) that you are only of worth if you are photogenic, photogenic generally meaning young, female and blonde.

Or four years old. I think you forgot that bit. Unless you're seriously suggesting that four year old children are regularly being abducted but it's not being reported because they're not, in your words, 'female and blonde'. I hope that's not what you're seriously suggesting.

Well twisted, sir.

And well said, Graham and Kitten.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri May 11, 2007 6:18 am

I've held my views on this but what I just heard on the news has forced me to comment.

A business man has offered a million for her safe return....

What proof is there that she was abducted???

The parents should not have left the kids alone

Why is the british media going so NUTS over another missing person? GMTV have even flown a resident reporter over.... one thats normally in the studio daily. Must be nice to get out in the sun, eh?
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Fri May 11, 2007 8:39 am

Graham wrote:
Schiehallion wrote:

In which case you would,of course,be happy to find yourself facing such a trauma :roll:

No, in which case you wouldn't subscribe to the belief that a God decides which kids are or are not abducted. Sheesh.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Fri May 11, 2007 8:39 am

When I first read the Topic heading I thought, "Brilliant! Somebody has read Proust and now they're asking what our 'madelaine moment' has been, when suddenly the warm tide of memory has swept us back to la recerche dutemps perdu...."

But it's turned out to be a news story.
Talk about six degrees of seperation but....
My wife's cousin's husband's (stay with me now...) cousin is the unfortunate Doctor at the centre of the tragedy.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions