Yesterday's potential riot in George Square

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Vladimir » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:40 pm

My cousins all went to/go to catholic school, while I went to non-denominational school (in other words Protestant, which should nto be the case). We met the same religions and races of people regardless. All religions seem to be able to attend.

But in my so called secular school, they were constantly bringing in ministers and bible-bashers from the US to convert us all to radical protestantism. The Catholic system is at least honest in its intentions. This is no way to run an education system!

I wonder what keeps us back from establishing a state run secular system as can be found in France? There are problems no doubt but it eliminates at least some of the segregation like we see in Scotland. The wars are over, and have been for hundreds of years, lets give it a rest once and for all.
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Squigster » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:41 pm

This sort of nonsense can occur to innocent people. My other half and I were at the Motherwell v Celtic game, ( neither of us had any colours on ). I support my team, but refuse to join in with any secterian songs, indeed not that it should matter but my other half is protestant.
After the game, whilst walking to the train station a gang of neds singing orange songs tried to attack a small group of Celtic fans. Thank god for the local plod!
We also had to play "dodge the flying bottle" whilst standing on the platform awaiting a train.
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:05 pm

crusty_bint wrote:Perhaps this was the case for previous generations, but certainly not for mine. I went to an RC school and it had no bearing on my (or anyone elses as far as I could see) life and outlook. These idiots are old enough to think for themselves, it's far too easy to blame it on a failing of the education system: they, quite simply, have failed themselves.

If you went to local authority funded school in the west of Scotland then, regardless of age like most of us, you are a product of a segregated education system.

I'm not blaming education; I'm blaming segregation. There are certain interests in the west of Scotland keen to perpetuate the division.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:32 pm

I think talk of segregation is just ignoring the fact that those with a gang mentality will use whatever cause they like as a reason to start trouble and persecute others.

I attended at least 3 RC schools decades ago, and as far as the system was concerned, never suffered any 'institutionalised training' regarding segregation, probably the opposite. One was next door to a Protestant school (funny, it's flats now, and mine is still there) and the only trouble was ever with the same hard-core of hardmen on each side that would pick a fight with anyone that happened to walk past them and make the mistake of looking at them 'the wrong way'.

Walks, marches, football, G8 or whatever, trying to find a reason for their violence in the event will get you precisely nowhere. They're like addicts, just looking for their next fix, no reason, other than to get it, and damn the consequences.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:47 pm

Apollo wrote: I think talk of segregation is just ignoring the fact that those with a gang mentality will use whatever cause they like as a reason to start trouble and persecute others.

The 'gang mentality' exists because at about the age of 5 we're split into two gangs for reasons 5 year olds can't comprehend. They just know Billy isn't allowed to go to school with Tim.

Apollo wrote: I attended at least 3 RC schools decades ago, and as far as the system was concerned, never suffered any 'institutionalised training' regarding segregation, probably the opposite. One was next door to a Protestant school (funny, it's flats now, and mine is still there) and the only trouble was ever with the same hard-core of hardmen on each side that would pick a fight with anyone that happened to walk past them and make the mistake of looking at them 'the wrong way'.

It's very much harder to close or amalgamate RC schools than non denominational schools.

Apollo wrote:Walks, marches, football, G8 or whatever, trying to find a reason for their violence in the event will get you precisely nowhere. They're like addicts, just looking for their next fix, no reason, other than to get it, and damn the consequences.

That, we can agree on.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:06 pm

onyirtodd wrote:It's very much harder to close or amalgamate RC schools than non denominational schools.

Ony no offence but thats absolute crap! I'll elaborate on my earlier comments and say that i attended and RC primary for the first six years, finishing in a non denominational before going on to a non denominational secondary school and finally finishing in n RC secondary which was amalgamated with a school in Easterhouse before I left. I couldn't tell you whether it was an RC or non denominational that amalgamted with it, I don't think anyone thought to ask.

All the RC schools I attended are still there, all the non-denominational ones are gone. The reason: the non-denominational schools were failing, wheras the RC schools had waiting lists. I don't think there's some big mad secret tim organisation ala the Da Vinci Code/Only an Excuse pulling strings behind the scenes. The only reason sectarianism is an issue is because some people still feel the need to make it one. Most people from Glasgow were once that 5 year old child you describe, and most of us grew up and drew our own conclusions and don't let it affect our lives.

Orange, Fenian, gay, black, disabled, dyslexic, dis-interested: who cares? There's just no need for it.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Vladimir » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:15 pm

All the RC schools I attended are still there, all the non-denominational ones are gone. The reason: the non-denominational schools were failing, wheras the RC schools had waiting lists.

Take St. Ninians on the southside as a good example of this. It outperforms all of the non-demominational schools around it. And it seems the other RC schools are performing just as well. Perhaps this segregation is a reason for competition between schools, who knows.

There is always segregation in society, nothing can be done about that (unfortunately). Here its catholics and protestants. In other countries its catholics and muslims. Or muslims and jews. Everywhere its rich and poor, and especially in this city!
Lets focus now on poverty and religion later on...
Last edited by Vladimir on Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:23 pm

Where are we going with this? C'mon guys New Year new start and all that. Big padlock please.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:34 pm

I think it's ok for now Socceroo :) Apologies for that (above) being such a rant too, it wasn't directed at anyone, just making a point :)
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:44 pm

No your right Crusty i read back through the thread and it is not that bad, i just thought uh oh here we go again. 8O I was not referring to your "rant" mate, you could never have that levelled at you :wink:

Your "rant" was a measured response as always.

Cheers

Socceroo
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:08 pm

Kind of you to say so mate, it's difficult to know how your (as in my) posts will come across at times. :)
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:58 pm

crusty_bint wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:It's very much harder to close or amalgamate RC schools than non denominational schools.

Ony no offence but thats absolute crap! I'll elaborate on my earlier comments and say that i attended and RC primary for the first six years, finishing in a non denominational before going on to a non denominational secondary school and finally finishing in n RC secondary which was amalgamated with a school in Easterhouse before I left. I couldn't tell you whether it was an RC or non denominational that amalgamted with it, I don't think anyone thought to ask.

I don't take offence at anything.

crusty_bint wrote:All the RC schools I attended are still there, all the non-denominational ones are gone. The reason: the non-denominational schools were failing, wheras the RC schools had waiting lists. I don't think there's some big mad secret tim organisation ala the Da Vinci Code/Only an Excuse pulling strings behind the scenes. The only reason sectarianism is an issue is because some people still feel the need to make it one. Most people from Glasgow were once that 5 year old child you describe, and most of us grew up and drew our own conclusions and don't let it affect our lives..

The RC schools you attended are still there 'cos a succession of Archbishops/ Cardinals wouldn't allow them to be closed. The catholic church, in cahoots with the city council has built a production line for teachers in good standing with their parish priest. In return it 'offers' jobs for life and good promotion prospects (so long as they keep off the SOR and don't sleep with their priest [edited to say: don't get knocked up by their priest]

crusty_bint wrote:Orange, Fenian, gay, black, disabled, dyslexic, dis-interested: who cares? There's just no need for it.

Agreed. People will be talking about us.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:59 pm

Vladimir wrote:
Lets focus now on poverty and religion later on...

Don't be silly. It's poverty that allows the churches such influence.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

parade

Postby hazy » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:05 am

What the fuck is the issue in this country regarding Religion. I lived in Canada as kid. When I came back to Scotland in the 70s the first thing I was asked was " you a billy or a tim" . I can tell you this what a fuckin blank look that prick got. Then it was a prody or a cath. Still none the wiser. Rangers or Celtic. Then when you start making friends, they get pumped of to another school because they are diiferent. Blah Blah Blah.Jump forward to the 90s and my daughter gets hit with the same shit. When will this Country get its act together.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

The Politcally obsessed

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:17 am

When will this Country get its act together.

When OYT stops e mailing lists with his obsession on RC Schools.

You'd think a Priest ran him over with his bike.

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions