British teenagers

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: British teenagers

Postby Peekay » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:23 pm

frank dawson wrote:"When will they ever learn?"
Per-capita consumption of alcohol in the UK has doubled since the late 1950s, whilst in other developed countries such as France and Italy, it has more than halved. The cost of alcohol, in real terms, is half what it was in the 1970s. Between 1995 and 2001, binge drinking increased by 35% in the UK. Death rates from cirrhosis, primarily caused by excessive drinking, "the increase is reflected in rising death rates from chronic liver disease, the primary cause of which is too much drink. In the 30 years between 1970 and 2000, death by cirrhosis for people aged 25 to 44 rose an astonishing 900%, from about 80 cases a year to more than 700". [...]

UK holidaymakers and football fans abroad are bemoaned as the most drunken and most unruly of all foreign travellers. It disgraces the UK.

Two things. The reason that all these "statistics" are there for you to pull up is that in Britain the Government loves nothing more than to go and make statistics for everything from the rising cost of a banana since 1967 to youth unruliness. Other countries just don't really care. It's a British thing.

Also, if you could be so kind as not to lump in Scottish holidaymakers/football supporters with that mob down South. Other countries are glad to see us, indeed, the Tartan Army actually gets invites to follow other nations teams when we don't qualify. Other nations just worry when they even get put near the English supporters, never mind wanting them to join up.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with todays kids, just more statistics to beat them over the head with. Still it's better to beat them with a statistic than kicking the s**t out of them like the "good 'ol days". You seem to confuse fear with respect Frank. Respect is earned, fear is given!

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:34 pm

frank dawson wrote:. In the 30 years between 1970 and 2000, death by cirrhosis for people aged 25 to 44 rose an astonishing 900%, from about 80 cases a year to more than 700".

Which comes in at, roughly, 0.0056% of the people in that age group :) . 900% of next to nothing is an 'astonishing' next to nothing.

Incidentally, if we are going to rely on newspaper articles/television news to provide all our opinions then perhaps http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,1938423,00.html might be of interest.

There again, the fact that income inequality was re-introduced by Frank's generation in the eighties might perhaps induce another bout of 'Nelson Syndrome'?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

British teenagers

Postby frank dawson » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:54 am

To Josef and his fellow thinkers a little bit of fun ::):
Intellectual ostriches
[img][img]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/f1r2a3nk/ostrich.jpg[/img][/img]
Last edited by frank dawson on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frank dawson
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:39 pm

From Wikipedia -

In popular mythology, the ostrich is famous for hiding its head in the sand at the first sign of danger. There have been no recorded observations of this behavior. A common counter-argument is that a species that displayed this behavior would not likely survive very long. The myth may have resulted from the fact that, from a distance, when ostriches feed they appear to be burying their head in the sand because they deliberately swallow sand and pebbles to help grind up their food. Burying their heads in sand will in fact suffocate the ostrich.

Yet again Frank, sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

British teenagers

Postby frank dawson » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:01 pm

A little challenge for Josef and his fellow thinkers.
Take off your shades and get the earphones out of your ears and walk down any main thoroughfare in this country and what do you see and hear?
Obese adults and children. Am I correct?
After midnight you will see drunken young women and men. Am I correct?
If you were unfortunate to visit a casualty ward in your local hospital late
at night on weekends you would see drunken patients and drug overdose patients. This is witnessed every weekend by a relative who is a nurse in a Glasgow hospital. Of course one would see the same problem in hospitals all over the country. Would I be correct in saying that my relative is not a liar?
My recently retired Firemaster friend in Renfrewshire tells me that fire crews are often attacked by yobos. Is he a liar?
So Josef and friends the Government, Medical, Legal bodies and the press are all telling us lies about British Teenagers today.
Now please answer each point made without a load of flannel for a change? :)
frank dawson
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby wee nugget » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:05 pm

dont feed the trolls
wee nugget
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:35 pm

frank dawson wrote:Now please answer each point made without a load of flannel for a change? :)

::):

Try again Frank. http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,1938423,00.html. Hint : you have to click on the red bit.

And you're right, wee nugget. This is definitely my last go at breaking into the hermetically sealed chamber :) .
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:56 am

Ye good olde days when it was perfectly normal to lynch people in the streets of ye East Ende of Glesga. Yee haw! September 1922 -

Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

British teenagers

Postby frank dawson » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:59 pm

I just knew that Josef would not answer direct questions!
frank dawson
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:30 pm

frank dawson wrote:I just knew that Josef would not answer direct questions!

You're worse than a teenager.
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

British teenagers

Postby frank dawson » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:14 pm

I have just had a look at Stinkpads previous posts. Mental age?
frank dawson
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:30 pm

Don't feed the trolls.

stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

british teenagers

Postby frank dawson » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:05 pm

You stupid boy!
frank dawson
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby trudger » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:40 pm

Is there any chance a moderator could do the decent thing and give this thread a lethal injection.

Frank, you need to keep some soothing herbs in yer bunnet.
Last edited by trudger on Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:49 pm

trudger wrote:Is there any chance a moderator could do the decent thing and give this thread a lethal injection.

::):
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions