Mode Of Transport

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby MacKenzie79 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:34 am

In Glasgow i use the underground everyday, i also walk a lot or if it is somewhere i cannot get to easily i get into a taxi.

If i am am heading North then it is underground, train, bus, walk and reverse that for on the way back.
MacKenzie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:35 pm

Great idea Macotheisles - Only a minor development of those slidy things at the new Tate Modern exhibition that have been all over the news. ('I don't know anything about art' - but slidy things? Yes Please :D Wheeeeeeaaaahhhhh!)
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:29 pm

I mainly use the bus to get to uni every day which is O.K, but I find buses don't go to enough places, they just seem to shuttle into the Centre of Towns like the trains. I also don't use First buses, too dirty, the smell is awful on some of them, the seats are rock hard and full of the type that have taken up residents at her majesty's pleasure for me. Arriva buses aren't too bad, I've had little trouble on them.

Take my car a lot to get to work since I passed my test 3 or 4 years back now. There is no bus back from my work where there is no bus late enough and for occasional journeys across the city where the bus is inconvient.

Trains, I used to get more, but they are too slow for me, and the longer walk to the station negates any time saved against the bus unless traffic is bad. They are also noisy diesel trains and the conductor has to man the doors, instead of selling tickets as is his job with unmanned stations and I refuse to wait in the 10 minute queue to buy tickets at the end of the platforms in Central. Heres a hint First Scotrail- instead of having 2 guys checking tickets, and 5 people selling them at the end of the platform get them on the trains as well as some ticket machines on the trains too and at Central platforms.

Don't use the subway much anymore as it isn't near me and I rarely go into the west end and usually bus it if I do.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:43 pm

If you lived in Largs or Greenock you could use a speed-boat and go up the Clyde. It could be marketed as a Christmas shopping gimmick. The boat would take you to some kind of wharf or pier where a concierge would greet you and lead you to a shuttle bus or even just point to the St. Enoch centre.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby nuttytigger » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:50 pm

i cant drive.

use the train everyday to uni

never want to use a bike ever again!!!
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:57 pm

Drive a car, but not usually into City Centre

Use the bus fairly frequently

Walk a fair bit

hardly ever use train or underground now (mostly due to distance)
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:22 pm

If i'm coming back late, I always get a taxi now. I decided it's not worth taking the bus.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:15 am

I like the train, unfortunately i dont live near a train station. I have never liked the bus for a variety of reasons. I drive mostly and occasionally walk. In good weather as much driving as possible is done by Ford Anglia :)
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby VGSmiles » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:38 pm

My last car found its end on an icy road...

I used to bike everywhere but my trusty bike was getting old and when I moved it wouldn't fit into the bus anymore, so I set it free next to my house. I am sure it has found a new owner. Now I walk or use my mum's old bike. And public transport, of course. Anything but flying, I'll do that only when I really have to.
VGSmiles
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:45 pm

Field Marshall Shug wrote:If you lived in Largs or Greenock you could use a speed-boat and go up the Clyde. It could be marketed as a Christmas shopping gimmick. The boat would take you to some kind of wharf or pier where a concierge would greet you and lead you to a shuttle bus or even just point to the St. Enoch centre.

I like that idea - I don't think we use the river nearly enough!
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:12 pm

Field Marshall lets be honest would you want to live in Greenock.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Random Distractions