Ever won a competition or quiz?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Ever won a competition or quiz?

Postby Pripyat » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:05 pm

Concert tickets from the Evening Times, and a few CD's
from Radio Clyde.

Anyone won anything a little more interesting?
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cazzie » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:12 pm

No but I'm too lazy to enter.

However, two of my acquaintances (unacquainted with each other) have a good sideline in competition entry - usually local radio. One has won holidays to Disney and NY, and a new car as well as the usual tickets etc. One girl I know uses it to top up her income. Wins lots of cash, and sells any prizes on ebay.

An insider at a well known local radio station tells me that there are sometimes so few entries that they scrape around trying to find winners. Competitions like the Real Radio Fugitive, on the other hand, attract loads of attention. Best bets are the shows that are on between 9 and 4.

You heard it here first!
Cazzie
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:16 pm

I won a lot of stuff from Clyde 1 when I was at school - including an ice scraper, cuddly tiger, cd vouchers, and a trip for two to Paris!

I've not won much since, that must be my lot!
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:21 pm

Won a CD last summer on the Inverness radio comp 'Beat the beat' - they play the first beat of a song and you have to guess it. Each day it's not guessed another CD is added. I never ever ever know what it is, except this day and in my excitement at knowing I won. Nobody else knew it though! Collectively as a family we've won tickets to Scotland v Ireland 6 nations, a telephone, signed rugby ball (all in one go), a cardboard cut out of Gavin Hastings (MANY YEARS AGO, no idea how!), nights in hotels, etc. I can't think of anything else right now but there have been a few - nothing major though.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:13 pm

I won and was then barred from the Radio Clyde film Quiz and won it again the next day under my mate's name.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:22 pm

I hate the modern way of entering competitions, greedy
comms companies making a mint. Whatever happened
to the postal entry.

Deal or No Deal, free on-line entry mind.

http://edge.channel4.com/4money/ontv/deal_or_no_deal/freetoenter.html
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:23 pm

I won a vespa moped in destiny nightclub

can't really remember how
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:00 pm

Won tickets to see Bryan Adams at Parkhead from Tom Russell's show on Clyde many years ago, was more interested in the support acts though (Little Angels, Extreme and Squeeze)

Won a wee robot thing from the Eagle comic a very long time ago.

More recently won a copy of Shades of Scotland, a book of Oscar Mazoroli photographs from the BBC website
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:18 pm

Couple of tapes from Radio Clyde in 1989
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:18 pm

Never won anything, too crap! ::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:24 pm

Years ago me and the wife were down the Forge Shopping Centre and there was a Radio Clyde Roadshow and we done a Mr and Mrs quiz and won return rail travel for 4 people to Newcastle.

We also won 2 tickets to go and see ELO part 2 in Edinburgh from Wee Fat Boab on Scot FM only problem was we didn't have a baby sitter to go see them and the Lovable Lass as Boab called her told us she would watch them both and we had a great night out in Edinburgh and couldn't thank her enough for volunteering to watch them to allow us to go.

On another occasion on Q96 we won theatre tickets go see the pantomime at the Pavilion theatre unfortunately I couldn't make it as I was working at the time but my wife and kids had a great time.

So all in all i've been pretty lucky in the past when it comes to radio quizs

Jim
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Monument » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:47 pm

Once won a Christmas cake as a kid in a 'guess the weight' competition. Pure chance! My Mum was delighted as it got her out of making one. No use to me though as I cannot stand dried fruit :evil:

Other than that, nope :(
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:59 pm

The Radio Clyde film clip quiz about 16 years ago - a month later, a parcel with 6 shit 7" singles appeared, without word of an explanation, suspect that was my prize.

Oh, and a deluxe Monopoly set from the local rag, the Rutherglen Reformer, even longer ago....

After them, Lady Luck said she was popping down the shops for a loaf, and never returned to this house, bah!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Never won any lottery type competitons ... but i did win an essay prize at school for stating unequivocally why dumfries and galloway should not rebrand with the transient barnacle goose. They should stick with native features when branding..stupid stupid stupid if i still think this 20 years later when they seem to have dropped the goose to be "naturally intriguing". Bollocks. Bring back the Beltie!!!

Won a business plan prize too - so started a business! Competitions are great!
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Blueboy » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:21 am

Taverna Monday night pub quiz.
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions