GCC jobs & disabled applicants

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:31 am

and an able bodied WasP can in a moment become disabled. He certainly will get old maybe he'll take up Buddhism, Islam and come out all at the same time.

I just hate to think tht's the point when he gets the idea of fair treatment for people excluded from employment, promotion and decent pay and conditions because of a disability. And I emphasise fair. People have been excluded from being interviewed because of a disability.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:32 am

i was once rejected from a job because of the school i used to go to. i used to larkhall academy then moved to hamilton grammar in my second year but the employers just saw Larkhall and said no.

i know that they did that because my aunt worked for the same company and asked why i wasn't considered
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:39 am

nuttytigger wrote:i was once rejected from a job because of the school i used to go to. i used to larkhall academy then moved to hamilton grammar in my second year but the employers just saw Larkhall and said no.

i know that they did that because my aunt worked for the same company and asked why i wasn't considered

I'd have thought even people from Larkhall knew not to tell the whole truth on a CV :wink:
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:10 am

onyirtodd wrote:
I'd have thought even people from Larkhall knew not to tell the whole truth on a CV :wink:

unfortunatly i forgot that day :oops: ::):
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:47 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote: People have been excluded from being interviewed because of a disability.

Fact is .... a disability is just that ... a disability. If it means you cannot do the job in question or can not do it as well as an able bodied person then the individual shouldn't get an interview. Giving them an interview in these circumstances is pure tokenism and a waste of everyones time.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:59 pm

Roxburgh wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote: People have been excluded from being interviewed because of a disability.

Fact is .... a disability is just that ... a disability. If it means you cannot do the job in question or can not do it as well as an able bodied person then the individual shouldn't get an interview. Giving them an interview in these circumstances is pure tokenism and a waste of everyones time.

I thought the purpose of interviewing all suitably qualified applicants with a disability is so that when/ if an organisation is chastised for not having reached the target of 5% (?) of the workforce being registered disabled, they can point to the fact that they're interviewing all suitable candidates, even if few have been successful.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:52 pm

Have you read the thread Onny and Roxburgh? Have you read the sample policies? So why are you posting nonsense. Naebody gets an interview solely on the basis of their disability. They've got to meet the criteria for the post.

I surprised you got past the door marked pull. With your reading level you must have pushed for at least five minutes.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:13 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Have you read the thread Onny and Roxburgh? Have you read the sample policies? So why are you posting nonsense. Naebody gets an interview solely on the basis of their disability. They've got to meet the criteria for the post.

I surprised you got past the door marked pull. With your reading level you must have pushed for at least five minutes.

Isn't that what "suitably qualified" means? 'meet the criteria for the post'
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:10 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Have you read the thread Onny and Roxburgh? Have you read the sample policies? So why are you posting nonsense. Naebody gets an interview solely on the basis of their disability. They've got to meet the criteria for the post.

Onny's post was actually one of the more sensible ones in this thread!

:?
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:27 pm

So far there is no obligation to grant an interview to all candidates with a disability. It's usually part of of a set of policies adopted voluntarily by an employer. The policies should be accompanied by interview techniques training and training in disability awareness.

and possibly a cynicism by pass.

If you do have any suggestions as to how we increase the number of "disabled" people in worthwhile employment and some ideas as to how we can retain workers who become disabled, just post them up.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:38 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote: So far there is no obligation to grant an interview to all candidates with a disability.

Agreed. No obligation but the two wee ticks look good on the letterhead and impress the customers/ clients.

Dexter St. Clair wrote:It's usually part of of a set of policies adopted voluntarily by an employer. The policies should be accompanied by interview techniques training and training in disability awareness.

How many interviewers (outwith local government) have interview technique trainging or disability awareness. More often than not it's 'how little do I have to do to avoid being sued?'

Dexter St. Clair wrote: and possibly a cynicism by pass.

Cynicism by passes, like most by passes, tend to attract more pointless traffic than the original route used to.

Dexter St. Clair wrote: If you do have any suggestions as to how we increase the number of "disabled" people in worthwhile employment and some ideas as to how we can retain workers who become disabled, just post them up.

Will do :wink:
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:23 pm

More often than not it's 'how little do I have to do to avoid being sued?'

Employ some disabled people. Simple.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:27 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
More often than not it's 'how little do I have to do to avoid being sued?'

Employ some disabled people. Simple.

If only it were that simple, Simple.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:15 am

Socceroo wrote:It seems to be any thread with GCC or Council in the title...funnily enough.

What she said. :D
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ladylabobo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:22 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
I thought the purpose of interviewing all suitably qualified applicants with a disability is so that when/ if an organisation is chastised for not having reached the target of 5% (?) of the workforce being registered disabled, they can point to the fact that they're interviewing all suitable candidates, even if few have been successful.

There is no target of 5% - that was an 80s thing and was abandoned for the reasons that this thread presents for not employing disabled people purely because of their disability.

There is also not (and has not been for quite some time now) a disability register.

I think if people are gonna participate in this they should update their understanding of current disability policies and legislation.
ladylabobo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions