Double Glazing

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Double Glazing

Postby ronan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:18 am

Can anybody recommend any good company? The windows in my flat are gubbed, ready to fall out and skull someone the panes are so rotten.

Had one guy round the other night, told him that he was one of three companies I was speaking to as I wanted to get an idea on what prices folk were offering.

Went through the stuff, then asked me to sign on the dotted line, I politely said no, as I wanted at least a second price to compare to. " don't be daft" he said, " I can only offer you this deal tonight"

"well I'll need to miss out then" I said, "cos I'm not signing anything"

20 mins later and I've got to physically manhandle him to the bloody door, with him still trying to get me to sign. This time saying that I should just sign, so he gets his commission, and that I can use the 30 day cooling off period to get out of it.

was a baw hair away from murdering him

Still need windows though
ronan
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby McShad » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:28 pm

If he works for a major company, complain to them
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Double Glazing

Postby Socceroo » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:15 pm

ronan wrote:Can anybody recommend any good company? The windows in my flat are gubbed, ready to fall out and skull someone the panes are so rotten.

Style Windows and Conservatories Ltd in Inchinnan on 0141 812 3111 do a really good and relatively cheap UPVC window on a fairly quick turnaround. 10 year guarantee. I used them and they were fairly easy / straightforward to deal with.

Their windows are as good as you will get in the straightforward UPVC range as they reinforce the UPVC sections with aluminium, unlike other companies whose windows look the same but go all bendy when the temperature changes because they are not reinforced.

If you are looking at timber windows then good luck and get a big wallet.

:wink: Trust me i am a builder.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:18 pm

Not wishing to name names etc or divulge previous experiences but I can give a "Quick" indication of one company you may wish to avoid.

http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/opinions/2005csoh85.html
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:20 pm

I'm getting some work done by Scotiaon friday (new back door, since you ask). Price seems ok, although far from cheap, but I'll let you know if the jobs ok.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:14 pm

All-bright Home Improvement.

Absolute top class workmanship, I would have no problems recommending them to anyone for work.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:26 pm

I used this lot below a few years ago - excellent. The guy comes out - no sales pitch at all and draws up a spec for your windows. They send the spec out to contractors to tender. They actually advise you to take the cheapest quote because all the companies are quoting on the same spec and standard.

What I liked most is the complete lack of pressure from them. The companies they put out to tender tend to be the bigger companies. Some in fact won't even give a quote if you are small fry to them. High St companies are avoided.

For instance, the company who done my windows in my old flat also had the contract to glaze the corridors at Ruchill Hospital.

The Glazing Advisory Service
47 Millar Street
Glassford
Strathaven
Lanarkshire
ML10 6TD

Telephone: 01357 522837
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby desto » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:32 pm

Socceroo wrote:
ronan wrote:Can anybody recommend any good company? The windows in my flat are gubbed, ready to fall out and skull someone the panes are so rotten.

Style Windows and Conservatories Ltd in Inchinnan on 0141 812 3111 do a really good and relatively cheap UPVC window on a fairly quick turnaround. 10 year guarantee. I used them and they were fairly easy / straightforward to deal with.

Their windows are as good as you will get in the straightforward UPVC range as they reinforce the UPVC sections with aluminium, unlike other companies whose windows look the same but go all bendy when the temperature changes because they are not reinforced.

If you are looking at timber windows then good luck and get a big wallet.

:wink: Trust me i am a builder.

ill back that one up! good deals
desto
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:43 am

desto wrote:
Socceroo wrote:

Their windows are as good as you will get in the straightforward UPVC range............

ill back that one up! good deals

The bear and the rooo win ok? :wink:
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ronan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:34 am

Cheers one and all for the suggestions,

Vinny, tis funny you should mention them, it was a salesman from that crowd that was round.

Was happy that I got rid of him, but after doing a bit of searching after reading your link, boy am I glad I never signed anything.

Should have delivered a swift kick to the Denis Laws!

McShad, I doubt this mob give a flying monkeys over complaints
ronan
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Sandpiper » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:25 pm

Schiehallion wrote:I used this lot below a few years ago - excellent. The guy comes out - no sales pitch at all and draws up a spec for your windows. They send the spec out to contractors to tender. They actually advise you to take the cheapest quote because all the companies are quoting on the same spec and standard.

What I liked most is the complete lack of pressure from them. The companies they put out to tender tend to be the bigger companies. Some in fact won't even give a quote if you are small fry to them. High St companies are avoided.

For instance, the company who done my windows in my old flat also had the contract to glaze the corridors at Ruchill Hospital.

The Glazing Advisory Service
47 Millar Street
Glassford
Strathaven
Lanarkshire
ML10 6TD

Telephone: 01357 522837

Used the same firm for a conservatory. Can thoroughly recommend them.
Sandpiper
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:34 pm

Aye, I had a similar experience years ago with a company you see a lot of in the Daily Record & Sunday Mail. The Sunshine Fella.(name slightly changed)
Told him before he came in I only wanted a quote and your best price.
4 Hours later and a few verbal exchanges with a "well dont forget I know where you live" thrown in, countered with, "Aye but you dont know who your next prospect is and who'll be there to meet you".
It was funny towards the end, he was calling the boss to get the best price, I'm sitting watching telly sparking up a few cans and ignoring him, he's telling me I said to him I agreed to the price, I've told him "will your wife no be wondering where you are this late (11.45pm). Magic.

Remember, comission based salesmen are only as good as their last sale in the eyes of the boss, most are usually a month away from the sack, a underperforming salesman with end of the month sales targets sometimes enables a good bargin, but if you do a bit of research,(look up Companies House) and can get a bit of the chit chat going and wangle out him the companies financial year end then your in the driving seat.
Then if you can hold off and pitch in towards the end of their financial quarter/year then your in a stronger position to haggle as he strives to keep his job.
Done this with the Car and House.
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Any further opinions on this?
I had a guy from 'Style Windows' round & the quote (given within half an hour & no hassle) seemed reasonable. Anyone dealt with them recently?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:58 pm

Bex Bissell wrote:.........................
Remember, comission based salesmen are only as good as their last sale in the eyes of the boss, most are usually a month away from the sack, a underperforming salesman with end of the month sales targets sometimes enables a good bargin, but if you do a bit of research,(look up Companies House) and can get a bit of the chit chat going and wangle out him the companies financial year end then your in the driving seat.
Then if you can hold off and pitch in towards the end of their financial quarter/year then your in a stronger position to haggle as he strives to keep his job.
Done this with the Car and House.

There's good reason to believe this is what was (is?) at the root of the banking crisis of the last umpteen years.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:54 pm

I used this service (not a company) around 6 years ago.

A tenement flat, 6 windows all double glazed for under £4000

I had the 'usual' suspects around usually ended up chasing them as they provided me with quotes of £12,400 - £15,000

There is no obligation and the guy who comes usually asks what you want, style, handles, etc. Does the measurements and is out within the hour! Tenders the job out to 10 different companies and they come back usually 14 days later with a listof companies and their prices.

Give it a go....

http://www.windowadvicecentre.co.uk/our-services
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions