Workplace Hates

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Workplace Hates

Postby Dot » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:35 pm

::): A Happy Valentines Day to all on HG.

Henrysix,

You sound like you have a fan club going there.
Are you a George Clooney or Colin Firth lookalike?

Hope the shorter weeks work out and remember to turn your alarm off on the days you're not rushing to the office.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:01 am

went to my first hg night out about twenty years ago and my fellow hgrs had me down as a captain james t kirk lookalike.did not know whether to laugh or cry. :D :(
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:17 pm

Latest outrage at my work?

At some point today between teabreak at half nine, and lunch at ten to twelve, some rotten bugger has swiped all the comfy seats from the break room.
Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:25 pm

It's Friday, nearly the weekend, and of course the big boss decides that today is the perfect day spring a new process on us. Why he couldn't have waited until first thing Monday morning, I've no clue - the damn stuff's been sitting there gathering dust for nearly three weeks. Would leaving it an extra couple of days have hurt?

Previously we've been dealing with NHS medical practices in the Greater Manchester area and on Merseyside.

But now we've got a contract to prep/scan/archive Social Work records for Wolverhampton.

Things are around 75% the same, but it's the other 25% that we need to be cautious about.

Certain things get done in a certain way, another thing gets removed and put in another box, stuff that's water damaged gets treated in a different way.

But the thing that's annoying me most - and I'll have to say that strictly speaking we're not supposed to read this stuff - is that the social workers can't bloody spell!
They continually get "their" mixed up with "there", and there's been cases of them spelling someone's name three or four different ways over the course of the file - this is people's lives, this is how mistakes are made, and it bothers me.

I'm effin' dyslexic, what the hell's their excuse?
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:03 am

TCS,

I have always tried to get spelling right. If I don't know how to spell something I would try and Google it.

I have a friend who is a retired teacher and expect she has probably been to University/Teacher training.
She regularly spells a certain word wrong.
By contrast I left school after 'O' Levels and yet several times I have had to explain certain word meanings and confirm certain spellings. It does make me wonder at times.
I would never say anything as I don't want to cause any upset.

I do sympathise and have come to conclusion some people just don't care and for them it's no big deal.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:16 am

I'm not even sure I'm doing the thing right. I'll maybe speak to my team lead on Monday morning, see if he can clear things up a wee bit.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:02 am

I do agree spelling is a skill and I can put up with poor spelling BUT I cannot abide Americanisms breaking in to our language, words like meter, Theater, Color do hack me off!

That said my spelling is carp!
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:39 am

Oh! That reminds me, there was one set of records I saw - family visits - and the social worker kept referring to the kid's mother as "mom".

Yeah, creeping Americanisms (no relation ;)) bug me as well.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:41 pm

yip,add me to the americanism police.even british companies now using stuff like drive thru.aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh. :evil: :evil: :evil:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:26 pm

The Creeping Spleen wrote:

But the thing that's annoying me most - and I'll have to say that strictly speaking we're not supposed to read this stuff - is that the social workers can't bloody spell!
They continually get "their" mixed up with "there", and there's been cases of them spelling someone's name three or four different ways over the course of the file - this is people's lives, this is how mistakes are made, and it bothers me.

I'm effin' dyslexic, what the hell's their excuse?

If there's only one thing I insist on getting right when speaking with patients for the first time, (there are many more, honest!) it's how they spell, and say, their name. It annoys the fuck out of me when people spell my name wrong, especially if they're replying to an email WITH MY FUCKING NAME IN THE ADDRESS, plus I think it's simply a basic courtesy to spell and pronounce someone's most personal identifier correctly.

That was a bit ranty there, eh? Sorry 'bout that.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:49 am

Absolutely, nowadays it is something the younger generation are not so good at!, I have tried not to be uptight about it!
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:27 pm

And now we've gone back to the medical records because we don't have the correct initial paperwork for the social work stuff. :roll:

Honestly, if the big boss spent more of his time on the production floor, rather than just strolling in at nearly 10 o'clock (when the rest of us have been working since 8) and disappearing into his wee hidey hole office for the rest of the day, I really think things would run a whole lot smoother.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:21 pm

What gets me regarding spelling is employing people into a role and not teaching them basic medical terminology. On the occasions when I do a shift now (not so often since I retired) I'm on receiving end of calls being passed when the spelling of medical words is so poor you're struggling to understand what the issue is.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:25 am

It seems that just about every other day, I'm shaking my head in despair at the weird names people saddle their poor weans with.
But the one I saw yesterday takes the proverbial biscuit.

Zenith Hunt.

Zenith. Hunt.

I figure his dad's a 2000AD reader, and a fan of the superhero/popstar character "Zenith" created by Grant Morrison.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:26 pm

That is certainly a bit different as names go.
I have heard of Zenith Insurance but not as a name for someone.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions