Workplace Hates

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Workplace Hates

Postby Henrysix » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:00 pm

Spleen, not at all, won’t hear of that, you probably just developed into one, i have found myself now as the oldest in the team to wind my neck in, if you are too Jokey or answer every question swiftly you come across as a bit of a know it all (this is me we are talking about), I tend to nod and bite my lip……..that is until I have a few drinks for me, been away from the Toon 40 yrs now but you don’t lose that competitive edge, do you, hey you I said “do you”
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:36 am

It's the weird ideas some of my younger colleagues have.

One guy I worked with a couple of months ago, only in his early 20s, and he was adamant that "the Jews invented taxes".
Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:30 pm

Spleen, I was sat recently in my office when a twenty year old was discussing on the phone a mortgage of £270000 at 5% interest rates, he was obviously being talked into a “it’s a great deal, but only if you sign up today” scenario, I was Gatling for air at the amounts but he didn’t bat an eyelid, he’s not the sort of person to give advice to, a lot of young uns now want houses with big TVs, sunken baths in the garden and brand new kitchens, I’m 40 yrs married next year, we didn’t have a colour telly till about 1989!
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:47 pm

If it wasn't a condition of my late mum's will, that I could live in the family home for as long as I wished (keeping bills etc. paid of course), I'd probably be out on the streets.

You see news stories about developers proudly proclaiming they're building "affordable housing" all over the place.
Hmm, yeah, affordable to who?
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:11 pm

Managed to avoid the works Christmas party this afternoon. Just could not be arsed with it.

Have to say though, the big boss fella's gone down a notch or two in my view.
I'm well used to him bringing his dug in on the odd occasion, but today he had the poor beast wearing a Christmas jumper.

Sorry. But no.

People that put clothes on their pets deserve a smack in the teeth.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:46 pm

A lady from our place retired today. There was no present, no leaving lunch and no fuss.
She just wanted to go quietly. I think I'd be much the same. I really wouldn't want to have to make a speech or have to stand there while someone gave you a big send off.

She didn't come round everyone to say cheerio and only called in the building to hand in her equipment she would use for working at home. I sent her a text to wish her well and I think she plans to meet up with a few folk in January for a lunch.
I will give to her collection as we've known each other a long time and I expect her supervisor will keep me informed.

I think since pandemic started and with cost of living crisis people don't expect big collection or gift.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:26 pm

A new wee wrinkle at my work today.

According to my team lead, Lynne, one of the higher ups (she didn't say who) doesn't like the way I've got my workspace set up.

Surely, as long as I'm doing my job the best I can, how I lay out my gear is nobody's business but mine?

I'm gonna have a wee quiet word with her tomorrow morning, just to let her know my thoughts on the matter.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:38 pm

That sounds odd to me. I have known people at work who kept their desk so tidy with no clutter and then others who seem to scatter things everywhere. If we are heading home then we lock away any documents with personal details etc.
After that we can have our desks pretty much as we want.

I don't think I'd ever expect someone to keep their desk in a certain fashion.
If I was a boss I wouldn't interfere unless the desk was very dirty with food or coffee stains or someone had something which caused offence to others.

I hope you get to the bottom of it all and surprised there are any issues.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:42 am

The Creeping Spleen wrote:A new wee wrinkle at my work today.

According to my team lead, Lynne, one of the higher ups (she didn't say who) doesn't like the way I've got my workspace set up.

Surely, as long as I'm doing my job the best I can, how I lay out my gear is nobody's business but mine?

I'm gonna have a wee quiet word with her tomorrow morning, just to let her know my thoughts on the matter.

In my role, I used to hear the phrase "people were saying or are saying" and quite often those 'people' was the person relating the apparent concern of others was the person who was saying and making up the nonsense of 'the people were saying' and each time she used the phrase, I would publicly challenge her, 'Who are these people? The floor is open, speak now or forever haud yer wheest' and not once did anyone speak, not once did these people come forward for they simply didn't exist. It was her own views that she tried to express under the caveat of 'others' and perhaps this is what you're facing!

I like a tidy desk in my office but it's not just now as everything has been dumped so that I can tend to it during the festive season when I will be about but the truth is, it's not life threatening, it's not going to change any outcomes on my productivity or results, my desk will be there when I'm not and life's too short to let these high heid yins get to us - if they have an issue, tell them to speak to you directly and not use a messenger, always works for me. (BUT I am a cheeky, rebellious sod and they know it but I get things done and moving)...
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:16 pm

We have had heating issues in work and thankfully it works better on our floor than those below us.

The Creeping Spleen,

Did you ever get to the bottom of what was wrong with your desk layout?
Hope you got sorted out.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:39 pm

To be perfectly honest with you Dot, as much as it bothers me, I'm just gonna let it go.

I had a wee word with my team lead, and she told me she'd politely told the complainant to bugger off and leave her people in peace to do their jobs.

So I'm just gonna keep my heid down, do my work as best I'm able, and do my damnedest not to get involved in any workplace politics/drama.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:48 pm

The Creeping Spleen,

I think you have made the right call there and hopefully that will be an end to the matter.
Good Luck.

I think some people forget that the pandemic has made certain things more challenging and it is nice to feel appreciated.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:13 pm

Henrysix,

Have you started on reduced hours then?
Think I read a post where you said something about partial retirement.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:55 pm

Another thing that's mildly annoying is how we constantly seem to be on the brink of running out of basic office supplies.

If it's not sellotape then it's rubber bands (although the folk at The Kids Table pinging them at each other doesn't help), if it's not rubber bands it's plain A4 paper.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:58 am

Dot your right started Jan2nd do Mondays Tuesdays Wednesdays, why, did you want to arrange a date with me, and thanks for the Valentines cards I am sure one of them I got is from you!
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions