Local Council Erections 2012

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Local Council Erections 2012

Postby strange brew » Mon May 14, 2012 12:56 pm

RDR wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:
RDR wrote:
Josef wrote:I see no reason not to take her at her word.
"in order to broaden opportunities for the range of talent in the party and to raise the profiles of others aspiring to election"

It would be good, IMO, for the sole UK parliament MP not to be the sole visible member of the party.

Might also be useful if they had some clear policies that were understandable.
Some of the more extreme elements of the 'Green' party are more scary than the Cons.

Evidence please.

You're so predictable! :)
How about Patrick Harvie? Everytime he opens his mouth is that evidence?

On a serious point, I don't understand their policy towards renewables, in particular wind generation.
On the one hand they seem to support it, on the other hand in certain areas of the country they support objections, so what is their stance on this? Good or bad?

Patrick Harvie, really? I've long considered him to be one of our top parliamentarians. Depends on your personal politics I suppose.

And on renewables, I struggle to see your point. Surely it's possible to support wind power while recognising that there are legitimate objections to be made against certain individual sites?
strange brew
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Mon May 14, 2012 1:04 pm

Green Party 2010 Manifesto on Energy

Energy
Reducing demand, securing supply

We would:

•Prioritise the new 3 Rs: Remove, Reduce, Replace. First remove demand altogether where possible (e.g. by stopping the carbonintensive activity altogether, or by true zerocarbon technology); then reduce demand (e.g. by energy-efficiency measures); then switch to renewables for whatever energy need is left.

•Discourage use of fossil fuels by bringing back the fuel duty escalator, increasing duty in real terms by 8% per annum and through a series of other measures in this manifesto.

•In the longer run, introduce carbon quotas (see box on page 37) and protect low-income households, especially pensioners, from fuel poverty.Without these measures, ‘peak oil’ will disastrously undermine our social fabric.

•The private sector has not responded to the challenge of renewable energy with sufficient vigour and investment. We would introduce a massive programme of direct Government investment in largescale wind and other renewable generation, and investment in the grid, spending as much as £20bn over the Parliament and creating 80,000 jobs in installation and equipment manufacture.

•Require all major development plans and planning applications to show how they will contribute to carbon reduction targets.

•Aim to obtain about half our energy from renewable sources by 2020 and ensure that emissions from power generation are zero by 2030.

•Phase out nuclear power and resolutely oppose any new nuclear power stations. Nuclear power is expensive and takes longer to produce than renewable energies. In addition to its known risks, there is still no safe or affordable way of disposing of nuclear waste. Not permit any further investment in new coal-fuelled power stations.

•Encourage renewable heat and combined heat and power by levying a waste heat tax on new power stations and by helping councils develop heat distribution networks in suitable urban areas.Work to increase the adoption of biogas from organic sources such as agricultural and sewage waste materials, working with the water companies to build digestion plants.

•Oppose the large-scale cultivation of bio-fuels, especially in poor countries where they compete with land for food, or result in the destruction of tropical forests.

•Introduce stronger planning policies to support onshore wind, tidal, wave, solar and geothermal energy schemes, and help local planning authorities to make more consistent decisions. Give micro-renewables ‘permitted development’ status.

•Bring the electricity network and gas mains into a fully accountable public sector and develop them where needed for renewable energy schemes.

•Introduce smart meters and appliances.

•Enlarge and develop renewable energy feed-in tariffs paying premium rates for large and small producers of renewable electricity.

•Support Europe-wide renewable energy initiatives such as an under-sea grid for offshore wind and marine power, concentrating solar power plants in southern Europe and the North African deserts and the building of highly efficient long-distance high-voltage DC power lines.

Long, innit?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon May 14, 2012 1:16 pm

God forbid policies should be longer than a Sun headline.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon May 14, 2012 3:43 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon May 14, 2012 7:59 pm

Blow Jobs
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Re: Local Council Elections 2012

Postby The Egg Man » Tue May 15, 2012 3:56 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:I'm on Cyber Nat patrol and wondering when Billy McAllister will fling his hat in. Why did they pick Allison Hunter over Community inactivist Billy in the first place.

I believe that decision was made by Ms. Sturgeon.

Allison Hunter has stood down as leader of the SNP group on Glasgow City Council and has been replaced by the equally useless Graeme Hendry. Councillor Billy McAllister was elected his deputy.

I belive those decisions were also made by Ms Sturgeon.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue May 15, 2012 5:06 pm

Local decisions by local people. As opposed to the recent Glasgow one-party state upheavals which were, to use the common expression here, 'I believe' imposed by London.

I'd like here to express sympathy for Alex Glass, formerly of this parish, despite what I've just said above. He went out out of his way to assist HG on more than one occasion, despite the people he assisted being neither constituents nor obviously supporters. Ta, Alex.

I see we kept our other councillor,btw. Well done. lass.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:51 am

Last week's local paper had a pull-out propaganda sheet from the Ministry of Truth:

Fairies at the bottom of the garden. I'm in a rubber room at the moment, keeping Clouseau's boss company and he makes more sense...

They have truly lost the plot.
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:40 pm

I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous