IDS calls "War!" on the Great Unwashed.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: IDS calls "War!" on the Great Unwashed.

Postby Doorstop » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:13 pm

::):
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:24 pm

Doorstop wrote:Completely shocking .. yet another example of the rapidly eroding impartiality of Auntie.

Rapidly eroding impartiality? The Falklands were when? Orgreave? The Gulf War?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:34 pm

There's impartiality and there's impartiality.

Ok, there's not actually .. but you know what I mean .. there's reporting on wartime activity with a 'moral high ground' slant due to which side you're on and then there's spinning a news story to help a political party gain unwarranted propagandised support.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:11 pm

jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:15 pm

Unbelievable.

Well, no actually. Completely predictable.

Demoralising, in the extremis.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:22 pm

Yeah well I feel really bad for homeless people but they are like, soooo upsetting, and I like, reaaaaaally hate having to walk by them feeling uncomfortable, it's like, soooooo unfair.

:roll:

*edit

Hmm that didn't come out quite as obviously sarcastic as I meant. Just in case you're in any doubt.
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:33 pm

Nope, I got it. Came across exactly as intended.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:01 am

You know when you think of those ridiculous overpaid (you couldn't make it up) jobs that have been set up in the last few years what say something thats needed and worthwhile imo like an independant Childrens Advocate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12658648
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:07 am

jodieohdoh wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/feb/28/westminster-council-soup-run-ban

Devil's Advocate Bridie here

If it was a minority of yobs who were abusive and destructive and congregating among a group of well behaved youths would it not have a detrimental effect on the group and after steps had been taken and still the problem continued would the same outcome not be inevitable?

"Westminster has three day centres offering heavily discounted food, washing and laundry facilities, clothes, doctors, dentists and mental health services, and one emergency night centre. It also commissions supported housing schemes for people moving from hostels towards independent living."

Some will use the facilities some will choose not too, some will be sectioned and released on a regular basis - point is that you can't put homeless people into one category and expect the same outcome.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:54 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:It is time to speak up for those like your dad who contributed to a pension scheme. Who accepted lower wages than what he world have got in the private sector. Who contributed to society rather than took from it.

Let's hear your defence of Philip Green or any one of the not self made millionaires sitting in the cabinet.

I do hope your mother leaves everything to the cat BTW.

Sunflower is regrettably unable to engage in insult trading at this time, being currently at the mercy of a pay-as-you-go mobile broadband dongle that refuses to show cumulative usage.

Thank you for your kind words about my dad though, nice typo, too.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:31 pm

Have a tinker with this ..

.. but if the news today about the Barclays bastards' bonus made you angry I'd remove the cat from the room first, just in case you have the overwhelming desire to kick something at the complete injustice of it all.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:28 pm

Doorstop wrote:Have a tinker with this ..

.. but if the news today about the Barclays bastards' bonus made you angry I'd remove the cat from the room first, just in case you have the overwhelming desire to kick something at the complete injustice of it all.

So...............I thought we are all in this together?
Doesn't seem to apply to BANKERS :x
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:50 pm

Doorstop wrote:Have a tinker with this ..

Food for thought. I'm signed up to Michael Moore's mailing list, got this through today:

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mike- ... -not-broke

He better watch himself, he's sounding dangerously like a Commie :-D

** edit

I just finished watching the Daily Show on the internet- there is a twin debate raging on Fox News currently. On the one hand, the teachers in Wisconsin are "greedy" because they earn $50k odds a year plus health benefits. On the other, the Bush tax cuts must NOT expire because a couple earning $250k a year are NOT wealthy- I kid you not, one of the commentators said (with a straight face) "That's practically impoverished". I can't even laugh at that!
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:48 am

jodieohdoh wrote:Food for thought....

Indeed, it is the oldest trick in the book that those with money claim they have none. The 'faux poor' have been around as long as money itself.

And companies do it all the time, create a culture of 'times are tough' so to get away with paying a damn site less than employees are worth. Especially when times are good. The low wage system we have relies on people trusting that they are not being systematically shagged in the pocket.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:22 am

jodieohdoh wrote:
He better watch himself, he's sounding dangerously like a Commie :-D

If by communist, you mean sensible ( not that I'd normally equate these two words but in this context the comparison is perfectly valid) then yes, yes he does. :D

As for some of the absolutely blatant, quite frankly, Tomfoolery that goes on at Fox news in the loosely conglomerated approximation of what passes for journalism well .. let's just say, I don't EVER watch the pox riddled omnibabble as I really couldn't afford a new television every other week.

This is exactly the sort of thing that Tam Shepherds joke shop stocks the foam rubber house brick for.

Highly interesting read btw Jodie .. I urge others here to take a minutse or three to read it too .. very interesting stuff indeed.

Bing Buzby wrote:Indeed, it is the oldest trick in the book that those with money claim they have none. The 'faux poor' have been around as long as money itself.

And companies do it all the time, create a culture of 'times are tough' so to get away with paying a damn site less than employees are worth. Especially when times are good. The low wage system we have relies on people trusting that they are not being systematically shagged in the pocket.

Absolutely .. although now, if there ever was one, is the ideal time to let the less enlightened know that there is an elsewhere to be v.v. on the 'empowerment' scale.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions