Student Riots

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Student Riots

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:27 pm

Not really a Scottish problem let alone a Glasgow one so best in 'Random Distractions'

I really don't get the huge riots in London recently, I'm sure you'll all point me right.

Students (or supposed students) are rioting over a raise in tuition fees for their university education. I can understand it is a bit of a hike but in the grand scheme surely it doesn't stop the brightest and best achieving their goals, regardless of background.

If you go to uni you can opt to take a student loan to pay for fees and a maintenance loan to pay for accomodation etc. These loans don't need specially sourced, you can just get them if you want. Better still you can obtain bursaries if you are from a lower income background. Even if you don't get a bursary the student and maintenance loans are not repayable until you start earning more than £15,000 a year.

Now if you went to uni, did all your exams, got placed with a good organisation it would be reasonable to expect that you might take home more than £15,000pa, if not then it would seem on the surface to be a pointless endeavour and a waste if 3+ years of vocational experience.

Did I get this all wrong or are the riots caused by whingers who just want it all for nothing?
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Student Riots

Postby tobester » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Is the payback salary not now gone up to £21000

Im more disgusted by the scum desecrating the cenotaph, saw in the metro that a woman was verbally abused going into queen st by one of the manky students at the last lot of demos, called a tory cow due to the way she was dressed...well sadly all the workers will pay for the repairs...cheers ya scroungers
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:07 pm

Your £21k figure might be right, I was browsing direct.gov.uk

direct.gov.uk wrote:Student loans have to be paid back - but you don’t have to start making repayments until you’ve left your course and are earning over £15,000.

Once your earnings reach this threshold, you’ll pay back nine per cent of whatever you earn over £15,000.

Hardly worth attempting to kill members of the Royal family over n all that
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:35 pm

Dave wrote:Your £21k figure might be right, I was browsing direct.gov.uk

direct.gov.uk wrote:Student loans have to be paid back - but you don’t have to start making repayments until you’ve left your course and are earning over £15,000.

Once your earnings reach this threshold, you’ll pay back nine per cent of whatever you earn over £15,000.

Hardly worth attempting to kill members of the Royal family over n all that

Was on the bbc last night, they were talking to a manky student re the 21000 repayment level, and mentioned that IF labour had got in the level would have stayed at 15000, he said that was acceptable, just wonder if labour had done the same 6k/9k/21k levels would the riots have happened, or was it ok, as labour are the party for the poor....sorry....working classes
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:56 pm

I'm beginning to thing the repayment levels are completely poo. I just went job browsing and it seems you can get a job in a call centre with little or no experience and earn £15k, I'm fairly certain that if you stick in you'll be on £21k in less than 3 years. If the would be students have aspirations above and beyond the pitiful non-degree educated folk then I can't see any beef.

Whinging moaning b&$t&rds
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:00 pm

I think at present glasgow is the call centre capital of the world, low paid, no major experience necessary and from what i hear from people, you get treated like shite, as you are easy to replace.

Looking at the salary it must be quite despondent for those who have no other job to fall back on.

The only place i ever heard where the perks were good was sky, as they get (do they still?) sky
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:21 pm

I was about to try contributing to this, but really what would be the point?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby rude_kid » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:37 pm

I can't even muster up the energy to swear at them.
What if I take my problem to the United Nations?
rude_kid
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:51 pm

I think you might find that a core group will be rent a(n) anarchist.

I am in favour of protesting against apathy
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:15 pm

I have no problem with people having peaceful protests if that's what they feel they need to do.
Anyone who smashes shop windows, damages property or thinks that damaging a car belonging to the
Royal Family is helping their cause doesn't deserve to have a place at University.

Talking of the Royal Family is there any reason that the police and the Royal security people could not
have made alternative arrangements or even cancelled the event.
Knowing that the police seemed to be struggling to keep law and order throughout this period it does seem
a bit surprising. I notice that Charles and Camilla were travelling in armoured vehicles after their evening
ended.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:12 am

Dave wrote:Not really a Scottish problem let alone a Glasgow one so best in 'Random Distractions'

I really don't get the huge riots in London recently, I'm sure you'll all point me right

Why are they protesting if its not a Scottish problem ?

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:57 am

GOVERNMENTS: show a generation the consequences of irresponsible borrowing then encourage them to take on a five-figure debt by the time they hit their mid-20s.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby oddjobby » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:19 am

potatojunkie wrote:GOVERNMENTS: show a generation the consequences of irresponsible borrowing then encourage them to take on a five-figure debt by the time they hit their mid-20s.

This!

And what's more, I hope to go to university from my 'poor' under-privillaged background, to better my life. It won't be much better if I am paying back a mountain of debt.
www.soulsearchers.org.uk
oddjobby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:49 am

Mori wrote:
Dave wrote:Not really a Scottish problem let alone a Glasgow one so best in 'Random Distractions'

I really don't get the huge riots in London recently, I'm sure you'll all point me right

Why are they protesting if its not a Scottish problem ?

It was more the paying of fees I was referring to, seeing as if you study and already live here you aren't normally required to pay fees.

oddjobby wrote:And what's more, I hope to go to university from my 'poor' under-privillaged background, to better my life. It won't be much better if I am paying back a mountain of debt.

Of course when you've achieved your dream you won't be looking for a nice house to live in or a flash motor to drive about in, will you.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:06 am

Not till the debt's paid off he won't.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next