Trick or Treat

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Trick or Treat

Postby Mori » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:26 am

Dont see many kids come round the doors these day on Halloween or has the event had its day.

Where you all off to tonight then any spooky goings on or ghost hunting? :D

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Trick or Treat

Postby dazza » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:48 am

Nooooooooo! This is Scotland... It's called "guising", or at least it used to be :x
dazza
-
-

Postby Fraz13 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:41 am

Am going to my chicks in the Drum to get away from all the kids that chap my door.... 1 last year haha
Fraz13
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:00 am

Friday 31st October 2008
Subcity and The Art School presents...
Haunted Disco
11pm - 3am
£6(Limited Adv @ GUSRC / Vic Bar) // £7 // £8

Johnny Whoop // Pro Vinylist Karim // Yellowbenzene // Soosh
Findo Gask // Falconi Brothers // Tintin & Snowy

This All Hallows' Eve, Subcity Radio and the Art School will be bridging the gap between the living and the dead the only way they know how; with bass, bass and more bass.

Upstairs in the graveyard, Subcity have reanimated Death Disco resident Johnny Whoop, who'll be playing homage to the hobgoblins with fidgety-house and tormenting techno. Joining him on the altar is long lost Subcity favourite Pro Vinylist Karim - rumour has it his spectre's been floating around the Captain's Rest in recent months; now he's been kidnapped to help raise the dead with blood-curdling booty and grime.

Meanwhile downstairs in the dungeon, the Art School present a live aural treat in the Vic Bar with local indie-electro starlets Findo Gask getting the bones shaking. Warming up the blood will be the electric Falconi Brothers (Pump Club) and a taste of ambient noise and gloomy classical from Tintin and Snowy.

Prizes for the best costume are sponsored by American Apparel, so get digging out your scariest disguises for a sinfully punishing night.

--

Advance tickets available now at GUSRC or Vic Bar
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:21 pm

As my dog terrorises the kids, I will have the storm doors shut & locked so he can't see them! Kids went out when they were smaller but now its all older kids wanting money, so I'm quite glad that we have to lock up.
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:44 pm

I say.... release the hounds*!!!

*not that i endorse having children chased by dogs, but I can't stand uninvited begging!!!!!!!!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MacotheIsles » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:00 pm

Yes - Once upon a time it was guising and it involved wrapping oneself up in faither's (or mither's) Sunday Best clothes, blackening the visage and regaling fowk who answered their doors with songs (Beatles, Elvis or Moira Anderson), recitations (A Man's a Man, Lady of Shallot, Wreck of the Hesperus, etc), etc. Memory can play tricks, but I remember the munificence as being like a New York tickertape parade, but with threepeny bits and monkey nuts. And it was turnips instead of pumpkins, solid as oak and twice as heavy.

We still have kids coming around but it's not the same.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:06 pm

I've hung silver wellies outside my door - If they think Gary Glitters here they'll keep away ! :D
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:20 pm

Sharon wrote:I say.... release the hounds*!!!

*not that i endorse having children chased by dogs, but I can't stand uninvited begging!!!!!!!!

That's exactly what i called it on the way up the road.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:44 pm

Just out earlier on at new 'Bond' film and there were two Aston Martins parked outside as we came out.
Stylish cars or what. I think they wrecked a few during the filming.
I'll not tell you storyline in case anyone going.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Celyn » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:57 pm

Its_a_gamp wrote:As my dog terrorises the kids, I will have the storm doors shut & locked so he can't see them! ....

Well that's daft. Why waste useful resources like that? If the weans are volunteering to be scared and you've got a dog that can do it, well then, "Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war". They were asking for it. :mrgreen:

I resent entirely that so much marketing means that it is all called "trick or treat" now. There are many weans now who would not even have heard the word "guising". Like Macotheisles said, it was all about making any disguise from whatever stuff at home, go along to people's houses, (and I was only allowed to do it if my parents knew which houses we would go to). Dress up (very inefficiently) as whatever, go chap on door, explain yourselves nicely (insofar as being a witch or a vampire can do that, of course), and you *must* sing a song or recite a poem, or at least a good attempt at one, then get apples, mibbe peanuts, mibbe the wee oranges, mibbe sweeties, but I don't associate it with sweeties and chocolate the way I seem to read of now.

And dooking for apples. Do they do that now? Years back, this tradition seemed odd to my English friends, but, sod it, I'll bet their own old Hallowe'en traditions had involved apples too: of course it did.

Treacle scones, though. Oh, a bad thing if you're trying to eat the treacle-covered scone from up there and you are a girlie with long hair. Messiness happens. :cry:
Celyn
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:51 pm

Lone Groover wrote:I've hung silver wellies outside my door - If they think Gary Glitters here they'll keep away ! :D

Cracking idea! Can't see anyone topping that. :D

No little darlings so far this evening. I did wonder about proffering the magic-mushroom-and-hash cookies and then bid them sweet dreams and "mind the wardrobe monsters". When that lot kicks in an hour later... 8O
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:54 am

Celyn wrote:[And dooking for apples. Do they do that now? Years back, this tradition seemed odd to my English friends, but, sod it, I'll bet their own old Hallowe'en traditions had involved apples too: of course it did.:

Apple dookin' looks like mostly a Celtic thing.

Apple Magic
At the heart of the Celtic Otherworld grows an apple tree whose fruit has magical properties. Old sagas tell of heroes crossing the western sea to find this wondrous country, known in Ireland as Emhain Abhlach, (Evan Avlach) and in Britain, Avalon. At Samhain, the apple harvest is in, and old hearthside games, such as apple-bobbing, called apple-dookin’ in Scotland, reflect the journey across water to obtain the magic apple.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Verbal Kint » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:02 am

Forgot to add my quickly pulled together Halloween costume.

Mask: Destroyed Limited Edition Iron Maiden Boxset
T-Shirt: Hurriedly bought from Fopp Byres Road
Hair: Real hair Silver spray (Honest)

Strangely enough loads of kids rang our bell. Don't know if they expected me to answer the door in a mask though. Also the standard of jokes was rubbish this year most kids just wanted the sweets without a decent joke. I enforced the issue no joke no sweets.
Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:48 pm

I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Random Distractions