OS mapping, expensive... very expensive.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

OS mapping, expensive... very expensive.

Postby Apollo » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:54 pm

I've created hundreds of web pages using Google's mapping API, and some Virtual Earth too on occasion, and all for free. I can plot points, use custom markers, plot lines between them, and use the geodata to calculate positions, lengths and areas, and all for free. And, there are others, but learning more coding is too much hassle.

However, as anyone that has tried to play the same game with Ordnance Survey, using information and data that we, the public, have paid to collect and produce, things are very different. If you haven't got something commercial to generate the funds to pick up the tab, then you'll need more than your beer money to use OS maps (and they won't let Google use it either, so no base UK geocoding).

I didn't know quite how large the annual fees involved were - first contact was enough to scare me off - but one formerly satisfied customer has been messed about and shafted by them, and has put his experience online - after they decided he should be paying something closer to £15,000 for the privilege, rather than £5,000. Despite having written documents authorising his paid use of the data, and agreeing he had them, he was still accused not complying with the licence terms.

If you read the letter, it looks like the problem is not the licence, but the staff concerned, who appear to be free to interpret it as they please. One says 'yes', then the next says 'No'.

Still seems like a rip-off, given what can be done with free mapping.

The tale of the vanishing maps from Who Owns Scotland's website:

http://www.whoownsscotland.org.uk/os.htm
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:01 pm

As a map lover (old & new) this is a real annoyance for me. I'd love to get into the OS database, but unless you're a registered student with a college or uni, it's way too expensive :(
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:36 pm

The Guardian has been running articles on this subject for some time.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:51 pm

glasgowken wrote:As a map lover (old & new) this is a real annoyance for me. I'd love to get into the OS database, but unless you're a registered student with a college or uni, it's way too expensive :(

How much is it GK?

If you do an Open University course (you can get the fees partly paid by Learn Direct Scotland) you get access to lots of online goodies through the ATHENS system. Your access lasts for a full year after your last course ends and covers things like SCRAN, Britannica and the OED to name a few.

(haven't tried OS yet, but am away to try now and I'll report back)
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:56 pm

Woohoo!

I get Historical and current but no geological
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:29 pm

The ATHENS system is what I was thinking of, couldn't mind the name.
I do feel a bit put out that only registered students get access, almost as if personal study can go whistle.

I asked at the local library if they have access to OS maps, but they didn't have a clue.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:36 pm

glasgowken wrote:The ATHENS system is what I was thinking of, couldn't mind the name.
I do feel a bit put out that only registered students get access, almost as if personal study can go whistle.

I asked at the local library if they have access to OS maps, but they didn't have a clue.

Kenny, if you're on JSA you may be able to enrol on an OU course and have all of your fees paid for you.

check at http://www.open.ac.uk
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:43 pm

Cheers Alan, i'll bare it in mind, but I can't really think of any courses I want to do at the mo.

I did an OU course years back, before computers, when the OU was all early morning tv, with blokes sporting dodgy 70's hair dos, & shirts ::):
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:43 pm

Oh I think I have an Athens account, need to check my E-mail...

My old work got superplan data from the OS for use in Autocad, in designing stuff. It is fairly common for say a small plot of land or a road junction to be £100+, and some areas were £500 odd.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:53 am

Probably the simplest solution is to apply for a job at Tiso's, Couper Street (Townhead). At my old work, I would regularly have to make the trip to their premises for accurate OS maps to compare with our foosty old plans from title deeds.

The guys at Tiso seem to do fuck all but fanny around on the OS system - interrupted infrequently by punters asking where the "Nevica jaikits" are located within the store.

Bliss.
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:23 am

Timchilli wrote:Probably the simplest solution is to apply for a job at Tiso's, Couper Street (Townhead). At my old work, I would regularly have to make the trip to their premises for accurate OS maps to compare with our foosty old plans from title deeds.

The guys at Tiso seem to do fuck all but fanny around on the OS system - interrupted infrequently by punters asking where the "Nevica jaikits" are located within the store.

Bliss.

Yeah, i used to have to go up there on occasion for my work to get OS plans. Always got them on disc. Floppy disc mind, none of this email or CD for us!

Before that, the service was located down in John Smith bookshop on St Vincent Street. What a warren that place was. The OS bit was staffed by a frightful tall old woman with horrific teeth, and the wee ruddy faced chap with wirey black hair that was still in tiso last time i checked ;)
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:13 am

glasgowken wrote:Cheers Alan, i'll bare it in mind, but I can't really think of any courses I want to do at the mo.

I did an OU course years back, before computers, when the OU was all early morning tv, with blokes sporting dodgy 70's hair dos, & shirts ::):

It's still like that...

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Random Distractions