Ireland/Scotland bridge

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Ireland/Scotland bridge

Postby hazy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:17 pm

Did any body else see this item. What a fantastic idea. Surely our politicians must give it some credibility.
With all the technology and lessons learned from Japanese bridge builders there is no construction drawbacks. The only drawback is the wee thing of cost.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/nort ... 956570.stm
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lexi » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:14 am

It could be in place by 2030 :roll:

I could be dead by then and maybe some of you wished I was now... ::):

Kidding aside, great idea! Hopefully it will see the light of day.

Lexi
Lexi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:48 am

I certainly hope not! I enjoy the panoramic views of the Irish Sea unspoilt as they are. I enjoy the crossing on the ferry and docking at the Port of Larne and the excitement that goes with it, knowing fine well that the journey through Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland is going to be full of adventures (well I’ve never used the same route twice - I've tried but I always seem to discover a new road or as some would claim - I get lost).

I know the ferry costs are high and I do get p****d off at the inflated price of a ferry crossing, especially during the summer months and prime times. I do wish they would sail 24 hours a day but I don't want a bridge. What do we do if it is too windy? Can we cross? Will it then be closed to high-sided vehicles? Each and every time that I have crossed over to Ireland there has been a wind that would blow the head of your pint!

If we really had to have something - could it not be a tunnel? Something like the Clyde Tunnel but on a bigger, cleaner and brighter version? Maybe I just don't like progress but then I used to travel up to the Isle of Skye, now I just drive to Skye as I was told by a geography teacher from one west end school that Skye is no longer an island!

Speed bonnie boat....
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:51 am

How so great Idea ? We can travel to Ireland via ferry/ flight in an hour at the moment from the West of Scotland. To build a bridge joining two seperate countries with two different economic budgets and monetary units is fraught with problems as witnessed by how long it took to agree to the Chunnel. We also have to take into account the devastation it would involve to the landscape on either side. Do we really want Galloway churned up and turned into a motorway approach to the "Irish bridge" ? I also wonder about the reference to Japanese since this other bridge quoted of similar length was built in China.
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lexi » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:09 am

Well you folk would know better then I. After thinking my comment over, :roll: I was just being selfish, wishing for a different mode of transportation between the two countries.

Lexi
Lexi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Auldeejit » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:52 am

I was about to suggest a tunnel from the Mull of Kintyre to Torr Point in Antrim (Shortest crossing). I had forgotten just how far the journey to Campbeltown is by road.
A rail tunnel from Galloway would seem the best option.
How many days a year would a bridge be closed, due to gales in the Irish Sea? It would need to be a high bridge to cross over the shipping channels. Way up there when a force 5 whips up al of a sudden? No thanks.
Think of all the potential disasters that could happen with a bridge.
Besides, roads and bridges are a blot on the landscape no matter where they are. So that's that settled then! A tunnel it is!
Auldeejit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Knight of the Thistle » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:41 am

It's a bloody mad idea! I dont think being stuck on a train high above the sea when a gust of wind turns up sounds fun! Also there would definitely be a problem with track gauge as the Bittish and Irish rail gauges are very different in size. However I am in favour of a rail tunnle!
Take back the streets!
Knight of the Thistle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Ireland/Scotland bridge

Postby Bridie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:16 am

I asked this on another thread
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1668&start=60

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tusker_Tunnel
£21 billion at the last estimate
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:25 am

Or 1 Northern Rock.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:18 pm

In Argyll Curiosities by Marian Pallister, there is a whole chapter (4 - Trams, Tunnels and Trains)dedicated to the possibility of a rail tunnel between the Kintyre peninsula and Antrim, with of course a rail line from Glasgow, and ambitous plans to construst other railways to Dunoon, Oban (via Inveraray) and on Mull (all the way to Tobermory) and Islay etc.

Included are some maps and plans of the proposed lines.

For anyone interested in the book, I think I got it from the discount book shop in Shawlands arcade for about £3.
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Random Distractions