The meat-free thread

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby miriam » Mon May 25, 2009 10:35 am

I agree, I've only had good experiences there (toilets aside!).

Mono apparently has a new menu, though I haven't been there since it changed. Stereo's menu has also been updated, unfortunately they don't do the tacos anymore!
User avatar
miriam
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:24 pm
Location: West End

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby cheesemonster » Wed May 27, 2009 1:17 pm

JumpingAtTheWoodside wrote:The 13th note isn't that great. A while ago I met my sister, who is a vegetarian, for lunch there. We had the veggie burgers, and they were absolutely rank. Tasteless, dry and very unappetising to look at. Needless to say, we didn't finish them

I have to agree, I had a burger in there a few months ago and it was rubbish :roll:
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
User avatar
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:58 pm
Location: Eastend of Glasgow

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby Mark N » Wed May 27, 2009 1:57 pm

cheesemonster wrote:I had a burger in there a few months ago and it was rubbish :roll:


They sit in your stomach like bricks.
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
User avatar
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Mount Florida

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby penguinmonkey » Wed May 27, 2009 3:55 pm

Mark N wrote:
cheesemonster wrote:I had a burger in there a few months ago and it was rubbish :roll:


They sit in your stomach like bricks.


More to the point do they come out like bricks? :twisted:
It's always funny 'til someone gets hurt and then it's just hilarious
penguinmonkey
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby johnnyanglia » Sun May 31, 2009 11:02 am

Mono and the 13th Note have went quite down hill in my opinion. I am Vegan and have had a bit of difficulty getting fed at times. However and it is not ideal some meat catering restaurants can and will make you something suitable for your requirements.
My favourites include:

Ichiban Dumbarton Rd/Queen Street Tofu/Yasai curry & rice.
Canasta Cathcart Rd Tell the chef your likes/dislikes and he will make something amazing on the spot.
Cafe Newroz Cathcart Rd: Cheap Iranian/Kurdish food. I am in fairly regularly and they are ok about providing meat free options. One of their dishes does have soya meat in it however.
The Bay Tree Dumbarton Rd excellent Aubergine bake.
The Chinese restaurant just down from Kelvinbridge underground and just up from the Bay Tree. I went in one day and asked for "A meat free dish with no eggs, milk in it etc" to which the woman serving replied "You are a Vegan, why not try our Tofu dishes". I recommend this place.
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:29 am

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby Stan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:05 pm

JumpingAtTheWoodside wrote:The 13th note isn't that great. A while ago I met my sister, who is a vegetarian, for lunch there. We had the veggie burgers, and they were absolutely rank. Tasteless, dry and very unappetising to look at. Needless to say, we didn't finish them. The service was disinterested to the point of rudeness.


The burgers there are just bar food, go to Nice 'N' Sleazys for a good vegie burger...

I ate at stereo a while ago, got the smoked tofu nacho typw dish, the tortilla was glistening, not very tasty, I won't be back there.

As for Grass roots, I used to work there and the food wasn't all that fresh. A lot of canned ingredients as well.

My personel faveorite would be the 78, but some of the staff there stugle to poor a good pint.
User avatar
Stan
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:33 am

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby Mark N » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:54 pm

Mono have just changed their menu again and no longer do their big bowls of pasta :(
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
User avatar
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Mount Florida

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby Make it a double » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:53 pm

"The Croft" in Croftfoot , just 5 minutes from Hampden - Ideal for pre/post Concert or Football meal - Not a veggie restaurant , but veggie food it serves is excellent.

Vegetable fajitas, wok fried in Mexican seasoning & served with flour tortillas, salsa, cheddar & crème fraiche
Wild mushroom stroganoff, creamy mushrooms in brandy & paprika, served with rice
Chickpea & vegetable chilli, served with salad, rice & crème fraiche in a tortilla basket
Rosemary roasted vegetable lasagne, served with house salad & garlic bread
Sweet & sour pepper & pineapple, served with chips & rice
Asparagus, brie & mushroom wellington, served on Napoli sauce with roast potatoes & veg or salad

Prices are excellent and drinks same as bar prices next door.

Chef's wife is Veggie , hence his knowledge that simply offering "salad or omlette" ain't acceptable !
Make it a double
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby jodieohdoh » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:55 pm

Popular thread, this ::):

Got to say, I like Mono on King Street. The seitan burger and the falafel and flatbreads in particular are great. Don't bother with the mac and cheese though.

The 13th Note I've only been to once, but I enjoyed it. I had crispy gnocchi and pesto, and an avocado chocolate torte for dessert and it was all plenty tasty.

My friends and I had tea in Brewdog in the West End before we went to see Ben Folds at the bandstand last year (best gig of my god damn life btw) and, it might've been the Punk IPA talking, but the veggie haggis burger and paprika fries were cracking.

Finally, first prize goes to Stereo on Renfield Lane. STACKS of food, vegan, cheap (ish) and gorgeous. Had the buffalo cauliflower, the turkish pizza wrap, my other half had the crispy gnocchi and vegan sausage, and we had a giant portion of chips with various creamy dips. Well worth a visit.
User avatar
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1046
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:11 pm

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby 8cats » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:34 pm

The Hug and Pint on Great Western Road is a newish vegan place - Asian-inspired food which isn't to my taste (the time I went I had some sort of plantain dish) - but another option if you like that sort of thing.
User avatar
8cats
First Stripe
First Stripe
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:27 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:32 pm

One of the best bowls of soup I've ever had was had in Stereo - spinach, potato and chilli. Sounds awful, but man it was good. A wee kick to it, and the tatties were done as delicious wee millimetre-thin slices. Braw.

I keep hoping to see it on their menu again, but never have.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
User avatar
Lucky Poet
-
-
 
Posts: 4161
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:15 am
Location: Up a close

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby darrel » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:38 am

jodieohdoh wrote:Popular thread, this ::):

Got to say, I like Mono on King Street. The seitan burger and the falafel and flatbreads in particular are great. Don't bother with the mac and cheese though.

The 13th Note I've only been to once, but I enjoyed it. I had crispy gnocchi and pesto, and an avocado chocolate torte for dessert and it was all plenty tasty.

My friends and I had tea in Brewdog in the West End before we went to see Ben Folds at the bandstand last year (best gig of my god damn life btw) and, it might've been the Punk IPA talking, but the veggie haggis burger and paprika fries were cracking.

Finally, first prize goes to Stereo on Renfield Lane. STACKS of food, vegan, cheap (ish) and gorgeous. Had the buffalo cauliflower, the turkish pizza wrap, my other half had the crispy gnocchi and vegan sausage, and we had a giant portion of chips with various creamy dips. Well worth a visit.

After reading this I went to stereo this afternoon. Wish I had known about it before fabulous food can't wait to go back
http://darrels.smugmug.com/
darrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:06 am

Previous

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest