The meat-free thread

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The meat-free thread

Postby galoot » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:04 pm

Noticed that there’s a few posts re: veggie food in the Good Restaurants thread, but as my karma is too fragile to read about carnivore shenanigans with the odd herbivore post on the side, I for one would find it useful for us vegans / vegetarians to have their own thread. Particularly following the closure of Grassroots’ café – one of those intimate joints that combined great food with good value and an ambiance that wasn’t all holier-than-thou, mung bean worthiness. T’will be missed.

So can anyone recommend the new best Glasgow vegetarian restaurant? Mono and Stereo aren’t too bad food-wise, but there has to be better?…
http://misanthropesforjesus.blogspot.com
User avatar
galoot
First Stripe
First Stripe
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:50 pm
Location: at home with the Pastels

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:32 am

The 78 at 10–14 Kelvinhaugh Street is pretty good although it isn't anything like 100% veggie.

http://www.list.co.uk/place/102939-the-78/
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
User avatar
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3176
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:40 pm
Location: a car park near you

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby Josef » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:40 am

I suspect that when it says 'at least 25% vegetarian', it means the other 75% is vegan. I've certainly never seen anything fish or meat-related on the menu.

Nice beers.
User avatar
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 8144
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:43 pm

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:09 am

Josef wrote:I suspect that when it says 'at least 25% vegetarian', it means the other 75% is vegan. I've certainly never seen anything fish or meat-related on the menu.

Nice beers.


You may very well be right.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/goingout/foo ... 68.0.0.php
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
User avatar
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3176
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:40 pm
Location: a car park near you

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby rabmania » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:54 pm

galoot wrote:Noticed that there’s a few posts re: veggie food in the Good Restaurants thread, but as my karma is too fragile to read about carnivore shenanigans with the odd herbivore post on the side, I for one would find it useful for us vegans / vegetarians to have their own thread. Particularly following the closure of Grassroots’ café – one of those intimate joints that combined great food with good value and an ambiance that wasn’t all holier-than-thou, mung bean worthiness. T’will be missed.

So can anyone recommend the new best Glasgow vegetarian restaurant? Mono and Stereo aren’t too bad food-wise, but there has to be better?…


Yup, shame about Grassroots- I just can't see anything springing up to take its place- Balbir's Vegetarian/Vegan Indian place in Partick ( some years ago now) was fantastic- but I once saw four people leave because there was no meat on the menu, despite Balbir saying to them- 'you have the meal- I'll choose the dishes- if you don't like it, you don't pay'. No wonder it didn't last! having said that, Balbir's on Church Street will make your meal to your requirements- just say what you will and won't eat and hey presto- something is rustled up. I haven't been to the Tiffin rooms yet- anyone reviewed it?
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:36 pm

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby JayKay » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:04 pm

I prefer the food at the 13th note to mono. All veggie.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
User avatar
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:29 pm

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby Mark N » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:10 pm

JayKay wrote:I prefer the food at the 13th note to mono. All veggie.


13th Note would be better if they could sort out the stinky toilets.
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
User avatar
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Mount Florida

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:04 am

Mark N wrote:
JayKay wrote:I prefer the food at the 13th note to mono. All veggie.


13th Note would be better if they could sort out the stinky toilets.


That might have something to do with the diet of the clientele.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
User avatar
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3176
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:40 pm
Location: a car park near you

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby miriam » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:34 am

Ichiban on Queen Street/Dumbarton Road have a lot of veggie and vegan options too, and they do a good lunch deal.

For a fancy night out, I love Thai Lemongrass in town - the food is amazing!
User avatar
miriam
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:24 pm
Location: West End

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby JumpingAtTheWoodside » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:56 pm

The 13th note isn't that great. A while ago I met my sister, who is a vegetarian, for lunch there. We had the veggie burgers, and they were absolutely rank. Tasteless, dry and very unappetising to look at. Needless to say, we didn't finish them. The service was disinterested to the point of rudeness.
JumpingAtTheWoodside
First Stripe
First Stripe
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:16 pm
Location: Kelvinbridge

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:13 am

I noticed yesterday that Gazelle (on Argyle Street at the end of Berkeley Steet) is heavily plugging their veggy menu. I can't speak re the quality.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
User avatar
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3176
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:40 pm
Location: a car park near you

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby amyleroo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:17 pm

The 78 is one of my favourite restaurants and is 100% vegan, 100% value for money and 100% yum. All the food is freshly prepared with the specials changing everyday. Everything is cooked to perfection too.
As part of promoting 'meat free mondays' they do 3 courses for a tenner and it's lush! I had seasonal veg in tempura batter that was so light and crispy with sweet chilli dipping sauce. They do very good veggie burgers with fresh relish and the cajun chips are soo moreish. BUT the show stopper has to be the chocolate orange tarte. The ice cream with pecans and maple syrup is my b.f.'s fav. No scrimping on the portion sizes here either. Booze is a wee bitty pricey but you get what you pay for and i think it is almost all organic.
Great food.
Good music.
Highly reccomended.


(just don't go in the toilets.... :? )
amyleroo
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:03 pm

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:05 am

rabmania wrote: ................... I haven't been to the Tiffin rooms yet- anyone reviewed it?



http://www.theherald.co.uk/goingout/foo ... _crowd.php
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
User avatar
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3176
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:40 pm
Location: a car park near you

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby galoot » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:25 pm

onyirtodd wrote:I noticed yesterday that Gazelle (on Argyle Street at the end of Berkeley Steet) is heavily plugging their veggy menu. I can't speak re the quality.


Hmm - hopefully better waiting staff since last summer: my veggie dish arrived with black pudding on the side; only time I've ever sent back a dish, and after their reaction I wouldn't want to send back a dish again.

Checked out 78: excellent, and will be back.

And 13th note: somebody should inform the staff that they work in a pub, we've all done it, and that if the uninteresting and dry food doesn't put custom off, their attirude certainly will.
http://misanthropesforjesus.blogspot.com
User avatar
galoot
First Stripe
First Stripe
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:50 pm
Location: at home with the Pastels

Re: The meat-free thread

Postby Elgar » Sun May 24, 2009 10:53 am

JumpingAtTheWoodside wrote:The 13th note isn't that great. A while ago I met my sister, who is a vegetarian, for lunch there. We had the veggie burgers, and they were absolutely rank. Tasteless, dry and very unappetising to look at. Needless to say, we didn't finish them. The service was disinterested to the point of rudeness.


I have always had good experiences there. I highly recommend the Haggis, Neeps and Tatties - it is divine. Yes, the tables aren't very clean (and are reminiscent of school tables), the toilets are a bit stinky too, but I wouldn't knocl the food.
Elgar
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:42 pm

Next

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests