Arches told to close after police uncover ‘indecent acts’

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Arches told to close after police uncover ‘indecent acts’

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:14 am

This weekend of all weekends this is a timely reminder.

"One of Scotland's leading arts venues has been ordered to close for six weeks after police discovered dozens of men engaged in indecent acts within a concealed area.

Strathclyde Police uncovered the incident after receiving several complaints over a number of months that "acts of public indecency" were taking place at a monthly club run at the Arches in Glasgow.

During an arranged visit to the Burly night in March this year two uniformed officers found up to 30 men "in various states of undress" and engaging in sexual activity in a corner area covered by black mesh."

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/di ... t_acts.php
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Arches told to close after police uncover ‘indecent acts’

Postby sds » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:30 am

onyirtodd wrote:This weekend of all weekends this is a timely reminder.

"One of Scotland's leading arts venues has been ordered to close for six weeks

One question: why?

If the "acts of indecency" were such a problem, why not arrest the people involved. Why close the venue?
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mark N » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:33 am

Oh, it's Pride Glasgow right now isn't it ? I must confess I'd forgotten all about it. :oops:
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:43 am

sds wrote:

If the "acts of indecency" were such a problem, why not arrest the people involved. Why close the venue?

City of Glasgow Licensing Board is sending out a signal to other venues to step up their controls. They fired off a few warning shots some years ago when a couple of venues were experimenting with swingers' nights.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sds » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:59 am

onyirtodd wrote:
sds wrote:

City of Glasgow Licensing Board is sending out a signal to other venues to step up their controls. They fired off a few warning shots some years ago when a couple of venues were experimenting with swingers' nights.

Really? Hrm. I didn't think we were so closed-minded in the 21st century to give a damn about what other individuals did to themselves or with each other in privacy.

I still don't understand why the licensing board should care, unless there was some serious allegation of (involuntary) depravity.
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:01 am

sds wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:
sds wrote:

Really? Hrm. I didn't think we were so closed-minded in the 21st century to give a damn about what other individuals did to themselves or with each other in privacy.

I still don't understand why the licensing board should care, unless there was some serious allegation of (involuntary) depravity.

Whatever makes you think City of Glasgow Licensing Board operates in the 21st century?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sds » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:12 am

onyirtodd wrote:Whatever makes you think City of Glasgow Licensing Board operates in the 21st century?

Well, that's a moan I could have about the whole of Glasgow City Council some other time.
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:18 am

sds wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:Whatever makes you think City of Glasgow Licensing Board operates in the 21st century?

Well, that's a moan I could have about the whole of Glasgow City Council some other time.

If you want to know what the cooncil thinks about sex; check out their policy on Sex Shop Licensing.

"Please note that as from 1 April 2007 the current Lodging Fee is £11,710 to apply for a one year licence." (that's just to apply).

Further on "Be advised that, in the past, applications for a sex shop licence have been refused on
the grounds that the committee felt that the number of sex shops for the locality (ie.
Glasgow) should be nil."

ie you can pay your £12 grand to apply but we've already decided the answer will be NO!
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sds » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:24 am

onyirtodd wrote:
sds wrote:

If you want to know what the cooncil thinks about sex; check out their policy on Sex Shop Licensing.

"Please note that as from 1 April 2007 the current Lodging Fee is £11,710 to apply for a one year licence." (that's just to apply).

Further on "Be advised that, in the past, applications for a sex shop licence have been refused on
the grounds that the committee felt that the number of sex shops for the locality (ie.
Glasgow) should be nil."

ie you can pay your £12 grand to apply but we've already decided the answer will be NO!

That's insane.

(But possibly also to their detriment. I mean, if they don't want guaranteed money... I guess online sales pick up a lot of the slack. Isn't this around the time that the Evening Times posts a story on how GCC is forcing jobs out of Glasgow?)
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby maccoinnich » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:30 pm

I'm no lawyer - but is this illegal? And if not, why have they had their licence revoked? It's hard to consider it 'public' indecency, when it was at a private venue, for which people had paid money to get into, and any activity sexual activity was, in any case, "in a corner area covered by black mesh". We're not talking the middle of Buchanan Street here.

But really, what a contrived moral outrage. Plenty of nightclubs in other countries have 'darkrooms' where consenting adults can get up to whatever they want. Hell, parts of my Time Out Guide to Berlin read like they were written by the Marquis de Sade.
maccoinnich
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:44 pm

onyirtodd wrote:Further on "Be advised that, in the past, applications for a sex shop licence have been refused on
Glasgow) should be nil."

Why is there two (possibly three) round the Barras area, then?
Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:52 am

tedmaul wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:Further on "Be advised that, in the past, applications for a sex shop licence have been refused on
Glasgow) should be nil."

Why is there two (possibly three) round the Barras area, then?

I suppose it's possible that they're unlicensed. I don't know the ins and outs of what stock they carry or whether it's any more adult than the pish sold in Ann Summers shop the length and breadth of the country.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants