Good pubs for a vacation in glasgow?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Good pubs for a vacation in glasgow?

Postby ccasey3 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:39 pm

My brother and I are both originally American (but thankfully not the ignorant, overly obnoxious, variety). We're going to Glasgow for a while, and have never been. I wanted to know if you all have any recommendations as far as good pubs to visit in the city. I want to avoid tourist traps and get a feel for bars in Glasgow but would also like to avoid anywhere too shady. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
ccasey3
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Good pubs for a vacation in glasgow?

Postby samscafeamericain » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:54 pm

Get yourself to Partick on a Friday night, try the Lismore, then the three Judges and then have the choice of heading up Byres Road or along Argyle Street to the Park Bar and the Highlands & Islands ladies
'once you can get men to believe in absurdities you can get them to commit atrocities' ....Voltaire
samscafeamericain
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:50 pm

ccasey3 wrote:My brother and I are both originally American (but thankfully not the ignorant, overly obnoxious, variety). We're going to Glasgow for a while, and have never been. I wanted to know if you all have any recommendations as far as good pubs to visit in the city. I want to avoid tourist traps and get a feel for bars in Glasgow but would also like to avoid anywhere too shady. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don't miss the Ben Nevis Bar 1147 Argyle Street, Glasgow, Scotland, G3 8TB http://www.bennevisbar.com
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:33 am

and whilst your there check out The Grove in Kelvingrove Street as recommended by Bill Berry of R.E.M.

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yonza bam » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:06 pm

Tennent's bar on Byres Road is well worth a visit. Big, traditional pub with horseshoe bar and a bewildering selection of real ales. It's also very handy for Hillhead subway. Agree with the previous poster that the Lismore and Three Judges off the bottom of Byres Road (near Kelvin Hall subway) are ones to include on a crawl. Avoid Ashton Lane, which runs parallel to Byres Road behind the subway (apart from the upstairs bar in The Ubiquitous Chip, which is classy). The converted church at the top of Byres Road, 'Oran Mor', is also worth checking out.

http://www.tennentsbar.co.uk/
yonza bam
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:11 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:and whilst your there check out The Grove in Kelvingrove Street as recommended by Bill Berry of R.E.M.

If you plan your pub visitations well you can end up at The Grove as Dexy suggests and finish off with a bag of chips from The Grove fish and chip shop at 1092 Argyle Street, just around the corner.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:21 am

Valued customers are allowed to bring their fish suppers into the bar although there is a certain little old lady I would not sit beside whilst she's consuming anything.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:37 pm

And if you're venturing over to the Southside - no reason why you shouldn't - may I suggest Heraghty's on Pollokshaws Road.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:06 pm

but phone ahead in case Jack McLean's in
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:12 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:but phone ahead in case Jack McLean's in

Excellent idea.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ccasey3 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:15 pm

Wow, thanks for all the help. I'll definitely check those places out. So..I'm wanting to avoid this Jack Mclean character?

Any other random places (I should probably do something other than just go to pubs all day :) ) that aren't to be missed while I'm there?
ccasey3
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby samscafeamericain » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:15 pm

ccasey3 wrote:Wow, thanks for all the help. I'll definitely check those places out. So..I'm wanting to avoid this Jack Mclean character?

Any other random places (I should probably do something other than just go to pubs all day :) ) that aren't to be missed while I'm there?

when are you coming over?
'once you can get men to believe in absurdities you can get them to commit atrocities' ....Voltaire
samscafeamericain
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ccasey3 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:20 pm

Wednesday/thursday/friday in glasgow then going a bit north (ullapool for like 2 days) then to edinburgh then back in glasgow on the following tuesday night.
ccasey3
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:24 pm

Get a First Bus all day ticket and jump on the 89/90 bus and take a random tour of Glasgow. Strike up a conversation with an older Glaswegian and they'll act as a tour guide. See Anything interesting, jump off, note where the bus stop is and have a look. However make sure signs of conspicuous wealth are hidden and don' t enter pubs at any stop on the route. Jump on the next bus. There's usually a timetable attached to the Bus stop. Take a train to Helensburgh, or Ayr and see the sea or the Clyde estuary.

Visit Babity Bowster's for a Scottish meal as well as a drink. We don't know how old you are but there's live music every evening which may be of interest. If the football season's on visit Firhill for a Thistle game, Ashfield for the motor cycle speedway, or have an evening at the Pavillion, or Citizens or Kings Theatres. You can safely wander round town during daylight.

You may also gain some ideas from http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/ or
http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/cgi-bin/velcal/vertical.pl or http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/places.html
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ccasey3 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:47 pm

That sounds like fun, we might try the bus thing. My brother and I in our early 20s and we both grew up in inner city NY, Philadelphia, and DC, which are among the worst over here, so we have decent instincts for areas but also a pretty high tolerance for shadiness. Either way we're looking to stay out of trouble, so thanks for the tip :D
ccasey3
Just settling in
Just settling in

Next

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants