Scottish food

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Scottish food

Postby Gloopy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:25 pm

i think they should have a section on chippie menus for just deep fried (or naked as the yanks say), then battered and deep fried.... i was astonished to learn that burgers and sausages could be done without the batter, suppose would be a bit difficult with the fish though.

Ive seen the pies dipped in batter and fried - now thats hardcore, screw my arteries west of scotland eating!!!
Gloopy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby jodieohdoh » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:41 pm

crusty_bint wrote:No probs Sharon ::):

Although I must clear one thing up - deep fried pizza is only edible when battered! The batter stops the base getting greasy :wink:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm pizza crunch supper 8-p***

The only danger is you can't tell if there are mushrooms on the pizza til you bite into it. It's worth the risk though :-) Pizza crunch and macaroni pies from Greggs are the first things I purchase when I get back to the homeland. And funny enough both are foodstuffs that my friends and colleagues here just cannot comprehend! It's their loss.
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby br-cmr » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:22 pm

I was watching the guys making "Hoagies" the other night in our local take-away. The recipe was slightly different from the one on the menu earlier on this thread, but it can be basically summed up as "take the most unhealthy items you can find from every nationality, and mix them up"

The one I saw the other night was a "special order" from an inebriated chap - a chapati (I guess that's OK) containing chips, cheese, donner meat and curry sauce. And garlic mayonnaise.

The first time I saw a "Hoagy" on the menu, I didn't know what it was. I asked my mate, who said "I don't know either. But it sounds a bit like a Bogey". I've never tried one....
br-cmr
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:52 pm

Isn't a hoagy a huge american sandwich?

The chapati sounds rancid- almost as rancid as the Manx delicacy of chips & cheese.....droon't in gravy :-x
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jamierourke » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:25 am

Sharon wrote:I still find it hard to believe that pizza gets fried.... but ive seen it, and even eaten it....

....so thank you for introducing me to that local delicacy crusty! ::):
me too! i first tried this back in the mid 70`s and many`s the time i had to take a good made to measure suit to the dry cleaners to get the dripping stanes out :D
jamierourke
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby nuttytigger » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:48 pm

i love chips, cheese, kebab meat and sauce all together - £4 delivered from the tandoori down the hill from me
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lord lucan » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:08 pm

Fossil wrote:Next we'll have shite and chips

will that be with or without batter?
Still lucan for me
lord lucan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dolkin » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:08 pm

no one has mentioned the biggest artery buster of them all which i have seen tasted and did not like i think was done as a joke at some point and is now thought by other nations outside Scotland as one of our national dish which i don't believe most Scots have as part of the stable diet is the deep fried mars bar to sweet for my liking but being brought up in the west of Scotland most of my childhood take away meals were fried from local chip shop and probably only knew deep fried pizzas because there was no stone bake ovens then
dolkin
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby enailer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:28 pm

I got mini spring rolls from the chippy at the Parkgate on Balgrayhill Rd which had been dipped in batter the cremated in pakora flavoured oil!! I think this was to hide the fact that the rolls had been cooked before I got them. I really need to stop going too take aways drunk all I seem to do is complain after the fact. :mrgreen: :oops:
Lookin out through a Whisky coloured haze
enailer
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby JumpingAtTheWoodside » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:45 pm

I lived in London for many years, and when I moved back to Glasgow, suddenly all the chippies were selling chips and cheese. I don't think I could ever face that, it sounds like a heart attack in a polystyrene container.
JumpingAtTheWoodside
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby busdriver » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:40 pm

nuttytigger wrote:i love chips, cheese, kebab meat and sauce all together - £4 delivered from the tandoori down the hill from me

£3.80 Everest Tandoori, Garrioch Road, Maryhill. Delivery is £1.50 so I just go and collect it. Best to get it early in the evening though. Great with a can of your favourite bru, chips are a bit to rich for me though. 8)
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Quality Mince » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:42 pm

Highest life expectancy for any country in the world is Japan I believe. They eat loads of raw fish, rice and vegetables. Man, they just don’t have a clue!! Thank God I live in Glasgow.
Quality Mince
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:57 pm

busdriver wrote:
nuttytigger wrote:i love chips, cheese, kebab meat and sauce all together - £4 delivered from the tandoori down the hill from me

£3.80 Everest Tandoori, Garrioch Road, Maryhill. Delivery is £1.50 so I just go and collect it. Best to get it early in the evening though. Great with a can of your favourite bru, chips are a bit to rich for me though. 8)

if i walked down to get mine its a big hill back up so it would be cold. better getting it delivered.
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:43 am

JumpingAtTheWoodside wrote:I lived in London for many years, and when I moved back to Glasgow, suddenly all the chippies were selling chips and cheese. I don't think I could ever face that, it sounds like a heart attack in a polystyrene container.

And how would you describe the ages old pizza supper?
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JumpingAtTheWoodside » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:43 pm

Deep fried pizza is beyond my limits! 8O
JumpingAtTheWoodside
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants