Average/Bad Restaurants

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re:

Postby Verbal Kint » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:55 am

Shazbat wrote:Garfunkels's, Glasgow Airport.
7 hour Globespan delay, done all the shops quite a few times. Time for tea. Sadly, not Mallorquin cuisine as planned but a chicken breast that couldn't be cut with a steak knife. Dreary.

:) its now a Frankie and Bennys too from bad to bad
Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Average/Bad Restaurants

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:00 pm

Most recent places we've been are the Duck Bay Marina and Gamberino.

Duck Bay's setting is lovely and the restuarant very comfortable. I had Haddock in a cream and cheese sauce - still looking for the Haddock - guess that was the one that go away. The wife had a pate to begin with and it was light and airy and tasted more like a mousse. Not the most thrilling of dishes unfortunately for either of them, but the service that night was not of the usual standard. We booked and when we arrived there, we could have had the choice of seats. I guess the credit crunch is hitting hard and so was the bread delivered to the table.

Gamberino in GWR - sadly found that the food and service has changed and not to the benefit of the customer. Without having a lawsuit slapped on me for expressing my own opinions on the joints we visited, these two eateries are most certainly not on the top of our list to visit again!

The Whiteinch Centre - is a small, community based cafe in the WC and is called the Teapot. It is a cafe, nothing more or less but serves good wholesome food at very reasonable prices and much bigger portions than those of the above mentioned places. Only criticism, don't take the Lentil Soup as it is loaded with Pepper to the point that tears fill your eyes and you cannot taste the soup for the pepper.

Cafe Del Greco is another local place in Whiteinch ran by Gianni and Jane. Lovely couple but they began business at the wrong time, right in the midst of the credit crunch! Excellent food, indeed Jane's homemade Italain is so authentic it's mouthwatering. Only problem is the place struggles, little in the way of drinks in their cold cabinet and money is obviously not pouring in. Lovely couple, place is utilitarian at best but difficult to tell when they are open or closed and service can be on the long side, very long, so don't pop in for a quick lunch.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jazza » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:49 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:The Whiteinch Centre - is a small, community based cafe in the WC and is called the Teapot. It is a cafe, nothing more or less but serves good wholesome food at very reasonable prices and much bigger portions than those of the above mentioned places. Only criticism, don't take the Lentil Soup as it is loaded with Pepper to the point that tears fill your eyes and you cannot taste the soup for the pepper.

I've been in there - run by a friend of a relative and nice enough when we've been in. I think its more of a community support exercise to fill the local old folks up good and proper than a big-time £££ making venture :D

Nice local review Delmont, tis what we need more of.

Bibi's and Pinxo a bit futher along in Thornwood are worth the walk
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TA_Ealing » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:47 pm

there is a cafe opened up opposite the whiteinch center. On the corner of Haldane Street and Dumbarton Road. Will pop in and see what it's like
TA_Ealing
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:59 pm

It's called Abigails and the vibes are not good, nothing to do with the food but you'll find out for yourself.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:22 pm

Kaldis
50 Edinburgh Road, Swinton/Ballieston, Glasgow G69 6DN

I hadn’t been in here since it was a little chef many many moons ago. The restaurant is now half the size, with the other half used for functions and special events, such as "gigs" and pyshic nights, woooh.

To drink, I asked for an orange juice and stupidly expected something fresh but instead got a pint glassed filled with diluted orange. Hmm...

Starters
I opted for the Pâté, which was passable but very bland. As is often the case with pâté it came with 3 meagre oatcakes.

Their Bruschetta is basically a 12” pizza base, with a few flimsy pieces of tomato and basil on top. For a starter there was quite a lot there, not that much of it was any good. It was all too doughy without any real taste and it was overcooked around the edges.

The soup of the day was lentil and was ok. Bread supplied was boring pan bread.

Main Courses
The fish tea arrived minus the tea. The fish in breadcrumbs was cheap and straight out the freezer. Accompanying chips and salad were blah.

The spaghetti carbonara was a tiny portion for £7-odd and it wasn’t even good spaghetti, no this was cheap cheap cheesy pasta. Urgh. Add to that some fatty ham, and I was also only given a spoon to eat it with!

The ‘Roma’ pasta with Penne was a bit dearer than the carbonara but was twice the size, and the chicken meat looked to be of a higher standard than the carbonara ham. It was also a bit tastier, though that wouldn’t be hard.

To finish we had coffee, which they surprisingly managed to get right.

Overall Verdict: Pretty awful for the price, ok, so as far as restaurants go it comes in at the cheaper end of the scale but there were some dearer mains on the menu (£10+) and given how they messed up the cheap dishes (how can you make a mess of pasta!?) I wouldn’t trust them at all. Pay a bit more elsewhere and you could have a meal that's ten times better...
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:42 pm

A bit out of Glasgow, but avoid P. K.'s in Main St. Ayr (Formerly the Brewery Bar).
The food is actually pretty good, but it's run by wankers. The first time I was there with my girlfriend, who is just a wee person with an appetite to match, she asked for a doggy bag. We were in for the Five pound lunch, and although the portions weren't huge, they were ok for a fiver - especially as the food was pretty good.
Anyway the waiter refused a doggy bag on the grounds that they were only charging a fiver. I pointed out that however much they were charging, once we paid for it, it was ours. He charged us a pound for the (carry out type) container.
Last week we decided to go back for the fiver lunch which is advertised as from 12 'til 2. We turned up at 1.55 and the cunt wouldn't let us in.
We had a nice fish tea in Mancini's Royal Cafe nearby.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Giblets On Croute » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:41 pm

Was in La Riviera, in Dumbarton Road on Thursday. Me and Mrs Giblets could not be botherd going over to the South Side to La Fiorentina or Roma Mia.
Have to say that I was disapointed. The food was just ok, not as good as the two mentioned above :roll:

Plus a semi-drunk couple were at the next table and asked the waiter if he sold alcopops FFS
It's business , not personal.
Giblets On Croute
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:03 pm

cheesemonster wrote:Kaldis
50 Edinburgh Road, Swinton/Ballieston, Glasgow G69 6DN

Not at all surprised by your 'review' CM.

The missus and I went in there not long after it had first opened and it was possibly the poorest quality/value restaurant meal we've ever had the misfortune to be served. It's not often that I have a meal so bad that it permanently puts me off returning to a restuarant but Kaldis definitely served one up that night.

Certainly one to be avoided.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:20 pm

In the early to mid 80's there was a Dino's resteraunt on the road that ran round the back of Debenhams on Argyll Street. As a kid I was in there with my Mum once and I can still remember the greasy shite they had the cheek to pass off as food. I have yet to taste anything so gross.

By the way what would that street have been; was it a continuation of Osborne Street? For about five or so years after the St Enoch Centre was built some busses used it which led to a dangerous crossing. If I remember correcly a guy aged fifteen or sowas killdat it circa 1993.

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby SilverFox » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:56 pm

I had a very poor service experience in La Rivera on Dumbarton Rd Partick. The owner was serving us and it just seemed like we were a total inconvience to him that we were there. While at another table there was a group of what must have been regulars and he could have not been any nicer to them. We will never set foot back in the place again oh and the food was average :) .
SilverFox
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Cyclo2000 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:49 pm

We ate in Black Sparrow on North Street a couple of weekends back. Not bad but not good. Mrs Cyclo had squid which was pretty good but my cous cous was very one note. Drinks are expensive and they forgot to give us the page with starters so we only had main courses. I will not be returning any time soon

Tried the Lansdown last weekend. Again, Mrs Cyclo's main was okay (we shared a starter of charcuterie, okay) but my "rissotto" and I use the term loosely, was the worst I have ever had. How it made it over the pass I'll never know. The waiter was nice and removed it from the bill without being asked to but it effectively ruined our lunch.
Nice room, decent staff, poor cooking.

No. 16 on Byres road gets a good name but I was recently treated so badly there that I now wish them ill. We had booked a specific table for 8 o'clock. At half seven we walked past on our way for a pint at the 3 Judges. The table was there, all set up. The judges wasnae all that nice so we thought we'd go early, got to No 16 at about 20 to 8. The cunts had given our table away. I am not by nature a violent man but I could have swung for the wee shite who runs the place. When I remonstrated with him that he should remove the interlopers and give us the table we'd booked he just shrugged his shoulders. Then the chef came out, thumbing a knife. I've never been treated so shabbily in a restaurant. I walked by the other day and note they seem to be in trouble. Good. Avoid.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:44 pm

Had a similar experience at No. 16. shabby service and food nothing to write home about. Someone should tell these fandans that good service is 50% of the experience. If its bad, you don't go back.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:56 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Had a similar experience at No. 16. shabby service and food nothing to write home about. Someone should tell these fandans that good service is 50% of the experience. If its bad, you don't go back.

::): ::):

It's been a long time since I heard/saw that word being used.

It deserves a comeback I reckon. Brilliant!
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:49 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:Had a similar experience at No. 16. shabby service and food nothing to write home about. Someone should tell these fandans that good service is 50% of the experience. If its bad, you don't go back.

::): ::):

It's been a long time since I heard/saw that word being used.

It deserves a comeback I reckon. Brilliant!

Too late. It's been a cycling term for some time. Short for fandango rather than the more obvious motorist who toots at two cyclists riding abreast.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants