Where can I get the best cup of coffee in the city?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Where can I get the best cup of coffee in the city?

Postby donjuan » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:42 pm

I'm not interested in price, decor, how many leather couches the shop has. Just the best tasting coffee in Glasgow.
[url=http://www.last.fm/user/DonJuanHG/?chartstyle=overallnamostylewoborder] [img]http://imagegen.last.fm/overallnamostylewoborder/recenttracks/DonJuanHG.gif[/img] [/url]
donjuan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Where can I get the best cup of coffee in the city?

Postby red_kola » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:12 am

Tinderbox (Byres Rd), Offshore (Gibson Street). Tinderbox is probably consistantly the better but an Offshore 'strong' latte on its day gets my vote. And they don't charge for the extra shot...

Honorable mention to Acanthus on Argyle Street at Finnieston too.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Grahame » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:14 am

nah, Tinderbox is overpriced and passe these days. It has to be either Kember & Jones or Little Italy on Byres Rd, or Tapa in Dennistoun, which serves the best Fair Trade coffee I've ever tasted.
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby John » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:08 pm

I had a great cup of coffee in Tinderbox at Ingram Street today. The staff were a bit tense though, more New York than Seattle if you get my drift.

JR
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby cleverdic » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:42 pm

donjuan wrote:I'm not interested in price, decor, how many leather couches the shop has. Just the best tasting coffee in Glasgow.

I am a great fan of Tinderbox and consider their coffee to be the definitive standard that others should be judged against. Having met the boss of the company that owns Tinderbox, I can vouch for the enthusiasm he has with everything coffee. Their baristas are the best trained in my opinion; and its not just their ability to perform latte art.

However, ambience, cost etc. is also important in enjoying a cuppa and, as mentioned above, I prefer places like Offshore.

I also had a wee price shock only yesterday. I went into the new juice bar Dare on Byres Rd and asked for an americano. I asked how many shots in the cup and after being told only one, requested 2 shots. It all came to 2.60 for a black coffee; 1.90 for the basic coffee, 40p for the extra shot and 30p to sit in. 2 of these coffees came to almost a fiver.

That's a ton of money but when I looked at their other prices, I began to see that someone is making a lot of money on hot water. A double espresso was 1.60 and a double americano (or black coffee) is 2.30 That's 70p per cup for hot water. I am now saving up for my next coffee sometime next month.
cleverdic
Just settling in
Just settling in

sartis

Postby yourebarred » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:01 pm

on bath street. if you like it italian style. 90p. nice.
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: sartis

Postby stupid_sexy_flanders » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:00 pm

yourebarred wrote:on bath street. if you like it italian style. 90p. nice.

What is the place called? This could be my new coffee shop.
stupid_sexy_flanders
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: sartis

Postby red_kola » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:12 pm

stupid_sexy_flanders wrote:
yourebarred wrote:on bath street. if you like it italian style. 90p. nice.

What is the place called? This could be my new coffee shop.

Sartis.

He posted the name in the subject field when replying but that gets lost in the HiddenGlasgow design schema.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stupid_sexy_flanders » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:25 pm

Ah the resturant - take it you can't get a takeaway coffee then?
stupid_sexy_flanders
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Simba » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:37 pm

Is there not a Sartis cafe on Wellington Street?
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:50 pm

Simba wrote:Is there not a Sartis cafe on Wellington Street?

Indeed. Or as an American might say, "Sartis at Wellington and Bath.".
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

takeaway

Postby yourebarred » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:54 pm

aye its 90p takeaway. i always say at the corner of hope and argyle or whatever, i suppose it is an american way of speaking, but its something ive always done. hmm, have i been mcdonaldized?
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby donjuan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:12 pm

Today I went for a couple of coffees, first I went to Tinderbox in Ingram street and ordered a double espresso I was shocked when ask to hand over £1.70 for this little cup of coffee. Not a bad espresso I've had better but it beats the big three, I also bought a bag of there freshly roasted beans very nice in my little Moka pot.
Later I made my way to the corner of Bath and Wellington, where I paid 80 pence for the best Americano I've had since I was in Milan.
Thank you for all your advice, now all I have to do is find somewhere I can get a decent coffee in Edinburgh.

Best Regards
Don Juan
[url=http://www.last.fm/user/DonJuanHG/?chartstyle=overallnamostylewoborder] [img]http://imagegen.last.fm/overallnamostylewoborder/recenttracks/DonJuanHG.gif[/img] [/url]
donjuan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Marlon » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:18 pm

cleverdic wrote:
donjuan wrote:I'm not interested in price, decor, how many leather couches the shop has. Just the best tasting coffee in Glasgow.

I am a great fan of Tinderbox and consider their coffee to be the definitive standard that others should be judged against. Having met the boss of the company that owns Tinderbox, I can vouch for the enthusiasm he has with everything coffee. Their baristas are the best trained in my opinion; and its not just their ability to perform latte art.

However, ambience, cost etc. is also important in enjoying a cuppa and, as mentioned above, I prefer places like Offshore.

I also had a wee price shock only yesterday. I went into the new juice bar Dare on Byres Rd and asked for an americano. I asked how many shots in the cup and after being told only one, requested 2 shots. It all came to 2.60 for a black coffee; 1.90 for the basic coffee, 40p for the extra shot and 30p to sit in. 2 of these coffees came to almost a fiver.

That's a ton of money but when I looked at their other prices, I began to see that someone is making a lot of money on hot water. A double espresso was 1.60 and a double americano (or black coffee) is 2.30 That's 70p per cup for hot water. I am now saving up for my next coffee sometime next month.

The west end is a rip off, its the 'you pay more for less' mentality, a Kelvinside accent didn't exist 20 years ago

Marlon
Marlon
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby red_kola » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:15 pm

Marlon wrote:The west end is a rip off, its the 'you pay more for less' mentality, a Kelvinside accent didn't exist 20 years ago

Marlon

Yes, Coffee is only expensive in the west end of Glasgow.
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants