Good Restaurants

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby My Kitten » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:24 am

In another section of MK's restaurant critic guide, I hereby give you La Fiorentina, Paisley Road Toll, Glasgow.

Ventured in for the Springtime Medley Celebration Menu. £15 for 3 courses plus choice of aperitif and a liqueur to end your meal.

Good portions, friendly service and definately worth the money. Couldnt recommend it more highly. This special only runs during April so get in quick!

Menu below:-

Choice of Aperitif - Glass of House wine (red, white or rose), or bottle of peroni

Liqueurs:-

Grappa, Maraschino, Fernet Amaro, Apricot Brandy, Amaro Lucano, Cherry BRandy, ORange Liqeur, Luxardo Kirsch, Royal Mint Liqeur, Green Chartreuse.

Starters
Pear, Rocket and Goats Cheese Salad
with Balsamic vinegarette

Vol au Vents Fiorentina
Filled with a turkey stew made with onions, ham, mushrooms, herbs, white wine and cream

Fisherman Style King Prawns (£1.95 supplement)
Baked with sliced garlic, baby chilli, paprika and olive oil. Served with char-grilled focaccia

Salsiccia con Fagioli
Italian sausage and bean casserole in a spicy tomato sauce.

Duet of Fritti and Croquettes .V.
Deep fried mushrooms dressed in breadcrumbs, served with savoury croquettes. Served hot with a crispy salad & garlic mayonnaise.

Mediteranean Antipasto .V.
A selection of roasted peppers, mushrooms artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, aubergines, &
roasted onions, preserved in olive oil. Served with fresh Mozzarella over Focaccia bread.

Classic Farmers Soup
With Italian ham, Pasta and Borlotti beans.

Pan Sauteed Mussels Provenciale (£1.95 supplement)
Mussels in finely chopped onions, garlic, white wine and Napoli sauce.

Melon with Parma Ham
Main Courses
Fettucine in a Tuscan Meat Ragu
Traditional Bolognese with a splash of cream and wine, topped with mozzarella and foil baked in the oven.

Pollo Saltimbocca
Pan sautéed chicken breast topped with Prosciutto, white wine, sage and lemon..

Boeuf alla Toscana
Slices of roasted topside of Aberdeen Angus beef with a rich red wine Barolo sauce.

Game Casserole (£2.95 supplement)
Pigeon, Pheasant and Venison Casserole with carrots, celery, onions, red wine and juniper berries.

Fritto Misto de Pesce
Sole, Haddock & Plaice Trilogy -- Dressed in light batter & breadcrumbs, served with French Fried potatoes, fresh vegetables & tartare sauce.

Pizza Little Tuscany
House Speciality. Topped with tomato garlic, strips of freshly baked breast of chicken, cured Italian ham, Italian sausage, mozzarella cheese & fresh herbs.

Stuffed Chicken Breast (£2.95 supplement)
Filled with a basil mousse. Served with a chianti red wine jus.

Scaloppina alla Milanese
Escalope of pork dressed in breadcrumbs & pan fried. Fully garnished.

Pirates Spaghetti
with clams vongole style, garnished with tiger prawns and chilli.

Pasta al Forno .V.
Short pasta with onions, red & green peppers, low fat cheese, mushrooms, a hint of garlic, fresh herbs, nutmeg, blended with béchamel sauce & baked in the oven. Served with side salad with Italian dressing.

Salmon Thermidor
Grilled Scottish Salmon Fillet in a sauce made with fish stock, finely chopped onions, English mustard, a touch of white wine and brandy finished with cream.

Fillet of Red Snapper (£2.95 supplement)
Served on buttered vegetable ribbons with a saffron cream.
Desserts
Homemade Tiramisu

Home-made Zuppa Italia

Pear Belle Helen in a Hot Chocolate Sauce

Panna Cota
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby TA_Ealing » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:41 pm

Blas on Argyle St opposite Kelvingrove Art Gallery/Museum is really nice.

Good scottish based meals (both dinner and lunch), great service, nice surroundings.

Ate there for both Lunch and Dinner and it's highly recommended.

Hopefully it will last in that spot. That particular shop seems to be jinxed with the establishment changing every 6 months to a year.

Link to website
TA_Ealing
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dave2 » Sat May 12, 2007 9:23 am

La Vita, George Sq/st Vincent St, opposite Greggs.

Good menu - pizzas, chicken, steak, seafood, pasta. Good range of starters, even if the desserts are a little predictable. Good wine and drinks menu. Bit pricey but delicious food, all freshly cooked, and good quantities.

Some staff are recently arrived in UK, and one or two are not too hot with questions about the menu - what had nuts / wheat in it etc, but there's normally one 'Maitre D' type guy on each floor.

2 big screens showing live football or Sky sports - one on the Mezzanine floor, one on top floor. Separate function area, nice view of rest of restaurant and out into George Square.

We needed a reservation for 6pm on a Sunday night - Friday and Saturday, booking seems to be a must, but they do pizza takeaway if you can''t get in. All in all, the best italian style restaurant I have been in for a while, and it sure beats Di Maggios.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat May 12, 2007 10:26 pm

Botanic Gdns. Alfresco.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:28 pm

Couple of us were at a loose end in the town last Saturday late morning getting a bit hungry. We decided to take a chance on the Mussel Inn in Hope Street.

It has seemed pretty empty to me since it opened and I knew it was a 'themed group' eatery. So my expectations were not high, but we were tempted by a fixed price 2 course lunch with glass of wine for £6.95. (served between 12 and 2.00)

I had mussels with one of the selection of sauces and our other main course choice was the large portion of fish soup. The soup came with choice of chips or bread, but though we choose chips we still got a double portion of the excellent bread. I got a nice wee dressed salad with my laqrge portion of fresh mussels. Every part of the food was perfect (I don't say that often!). Service was very efficient and polite, but maybe not all that friendly. The glass of white wine was first class which is saying something as I find that house wines are often near-vinegar. The whole place was also spotlessly clean.

It's made me think I want to try it for dinner some evening.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby excoriate » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:32 am

I didn't know there was a Monster Mash on Byres Road!
I've been in the once in Edinburgh and loved it so I shall be exploring the West End this weekend!
excoriate
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:48 am

I'm afraid I think its gone now (but Im not down Byres rd too often these days so cant be certain!)
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby excoriate » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:55 am

Aw no :(
excoriate
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:39 am

Yes, unfortunately it HAS gone. It was a great wee place but sadly no more. :cry:
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby excoriate » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:43 pm

Awk well. I'll just have to make do with the odd trip through to Edinburgh...
excoriate
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:58 pm

Metropolitan

http://www.metropolitan-bar.com

£13.95 for three courses pre-theatre.

Salmon Gravadlax/ Haricot Bean Soup
Plaice with a Caper sauce with Baby Potatoes/Halloumi and Butternut Squash Kebabs
Coffee Parfait/Dark Chocolate Tart

Food was excellent, nice atmosphere and decor although the service was slow but attentive.

Would go back
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:55 pm

Sharon wrote:I'm afraid I think its gone now (but Im not down Byres rd too often these days so cant be certain!)

It's been replaced by an interesting-looking Indian place.

Never saw the appeal of sausages and mash in a restaurant - I can make that at home!
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Bombay Blue

Postby theplumber » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:13 pm

I was in Glasgow last week,and dropped into Bombay Blue at lunch time.The buffet lunch was really top notch!..........more than can be said for Tommy Sheridan who was at a corner table talking to a reporter...very loudly about himself............
theplumber
First Stripe
First Stripe

Cafe Francais - Bath St

Postby b7ryn » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:53 am

Anyone been and have they tried the set menu?
chum laugh
b7ryn
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:26 pm

Ally Doll wrote:
Sharon wrote:I'm afraid I think its gone now (but Im not down Byres rd too often these days so cant be certain!)

It's been replaced by an interesting-looking Indian place.

Never saw the appeal of sausages and mash in a restaurant - I can make that at home!

Is that the place that got 5/10 in the Sunday Herald this weekend?

ah Mrs Majhu's (after a quick rummage on the floor for said Herald)

I was at Pancho Villas on Friday for dinner

Vegetarian Combo Plate
Ideal for sharing - a combination of black bean cakes, chile rellanos and nachos £7.95

Black bean cakes were a bit dry and the chile rellanos weren't as spicy as they used to be, still good stuff

The spiv had Enchiladas Mole Poblano - Flour tortillas filled with breast of chicken in a traditional spicy, bitter sweet chocolate sauce served with rice and refried beans - had a happy smile on his face after that.

I had Enchaladas Toluca - Flour tortillas filled with breast of chicken and chorizo in a chipotle chilli and cream sauce, topped with melted cheese, served with rice and refried beans - another nice one, although we both agreed that the rice was a bit bland.

Good atmosphere and friendly staff (and the bonus of no kids!)

Another mexican style night, Chiquito at Xscape

About as mexican as me!

Onion Loaf and Mixed Potato skins to start
- onion loaf was huge - could really be a shared started, nice onions and buttery taste. Skins were bland, shop ones are better 8O

Swordfish Naranjita
Chargrilled prime swordfish marinated in orange juice and
Mexican seasoning. Served with your choice of Mexican rice or
red skin and garlic mashed potato and black bean salsa. - overcooked, poor little swordfish, mash was nice.

Spicy Chicken burito, oven-baked and served with Mexican
rice, salad, guacamole, sour cream and salsa. - Spicy my ass

Alcohol free cocktail was nice, friendly service, was alright if you want something quick and bland.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants