Good Restaurants

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Good Restaurants

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:50 pm

Anyone interested in trying Ad Lib might like to know there's a "£10.95 per person for 2 courses or £12.95 for 3 courses from our 5pm Set Menu." on http://www.5pm.co.uk just now.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:34 pm

Was at the Café Andelusia in St Vincent Street/Place last night. Waiter service was very attentive and friendly, nice atmosphere without the almost painful grating acoustics you get in many Glasgow eateries.

I was very disappointed in the so-called tapas dishes. They were basic and unsurprising lash-up a typical Scottish greasy-and-batter things i.e. prawns in batter, big dods of chicken in batter, something squelchy in batter etc. etc. There was a really nice wee paella dish but it was so small that our group of six agreed to divide out about one big tablespoon each. Herbs and flavourings, including garlic, were not noticeably evident. The chirozio sausage just didn’t taste much of anything, and I spotted no salami or similar. There was some good, but limited bread and nice selection of olives.

Coffee was excellent; kept me awake for hours later.

I don’t know about the prices as it was a corporate hospitality thing; but I got the impression that it's not exactly cheap.

I wanted to be impressed, but I suspect that this place has just gone for the easy option and caters for bland Scottish tastes. I think that they have made a mistake - Scots when over in Iberia, lap up the taps style and substance.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:49 pm

If you're paying for your own tapas try herehttp://www.pintxo.info/revMetroOct07.html
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Giblets On Croute » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:18 pm

Guys, Although La Fiorentina is the best imo, has anyone tried l'Aragosta in St Andrews Road or Roma Mia in Darnley Road?
It's business , not personal.
Giblets On Croute
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:29 pm

Giblets On Croute wrote:Guys, Although La Fiorentina is the best imo, has anyone tried l'Aragosta in St Andrews Road or Roma Mia in Darnley Road?

Is l'Aragosta in St Andrews Road just along from the pub where there was a shooting recently? Just up the road from the Jeep garage?

If so, although I've never been myself, a girlfriend reckons it's great.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:48 pm

Giblets this place seems to be building up a reputation; your's is the third positive mention I've come across in the past couple of months.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Firebird pub restaurant

Postby duffer34 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:43 pm

try here guys amazing food friendly staff good drinks selection and deejays spinning excellent tunes on vinyl which is rare to c these days also very good crowd, young and old alike. give it a go.

1321 argyle street near kelvingrove park
duffer34
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby JumpingAtTheWoodside » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:43 pm

Nanakusa in Sauchiehall St- Japanese.
We'd heard good things, so went to see for ourselves. We shared gyoza and soft crab sushi as a starter, both gorgeous. My partner had a Tokyo bento- a mixture of sushi and very good sashimi, and I had a very generous chilli beef and noodle soup with udon, which was very good. Really great value, friendly service, nice decor, and surprisingly calm for the pubby end of Sauchiehall St. We'll definitely be back.
JumpingAtTheWoodside
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:02 am

I managed to squeeze in 2 trips to Nanakusa before I defected to Thailand - it's really great food, good prices and a much better selection than any of the other Japanese places in Glasgow. Friendly staff too. We got an extra main course free when they brought the wrong dish to our table - so nice! Also, the plum wine is very reasonable by the bottle :D
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alan L » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Went to Tinto on Battlefield Road last night.

Shamefully, that's the first time I've eaten Tapas. I had dishes consisting of squid, andchovies and spicy meatballs. The gf had a chorizo stew and some baked veggie stuff. We both enjoyed our grub, which seem to be much less bland than the other tapas place mentioned in the thread. At £35 for two, including a lovely bottle of red and some mixed breads, it was decent value and surprisingly filling to boot. Good atmosphere and service too.

I'll definitely be back.

Also, the Friday night folk session in the Ivory hotel that we went to afterwards is marvellous. :D
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Fri May 02, 2008 5:28 pm

Sizzlers on Springfield Road, just before Baillieston is quite good, used to be the old Brewers Fayre. I reckon it must be good as my partner likes it and she's hard to please.

The have a new menu out now, my favourite is a topped steak..its a sirloin, topped with 2 onion rings, cheese and BBQ sauce, alho they do do different toppings.

Well worth a try, even though it is on the outskirts of Glasgow. Nearest Station is Easterhouse (a plug ::):)
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri May 02, 2008 5:41 pm

tobester wrote:Sizzlers on Springfield Road, just before Baillieston is quite good, used to be the old Brewers Fayre. I reckon it must be good as my partner likes it and she's hard to please.

The have a new menu out now, my favourite is a topped steak..its a sirloin, topped with 2 onion rings, cheese and BBQ sauce, alho they do do different toppings.

Well worth a try, even though it is on the outskirts of Glasgow. Nearest Station is Easterhouse (a plug ::):)

Is this http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 118047.ece the same place?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Fri May 02, 2008 6:19 pm

Yeah it was Onny
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:36 pm

Bubbly Jock in Partick, f-ing wonderful traditional grub :D 2 course meal for two with drinks was £31. Staff were very friendly as well.
Only down side is it's a wee bit of a tight squeeze inside.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:33 am

A small group ate in Ad Lib (still great burgers) after the pensioner's diddly dee session at Babbity's on Saturday. It took three waitresses three goes to get the change right. From mutterings elsewhere we weren't the only 'victims'. Watch out.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants