Mitchell Library foundation stone ceremony.What is that bar?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Mitchell Library foundation stone ceremony.What is that bar?

Postby beneld » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:39 pm

At the Mitchell there is a picture of Andrew Carnegie laying the foundation stone. 1907
MItchell_stone-sm.jpg

While the bell ringing is annoying this guy
mitchell-stone-ears-sm.jpg

up above him is a bar in the background;
mitchell-stone-top-sm.jpg

What is this bar ? I dont seem to be able to find it on oldglasgowpubs.co.uk
AND---W'S BAR
Windows says Worthingtons Pale Ale i think
mitchell-stone-bar-sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://twitter.com/#!/ahaufstop
http://ahaufstop.blogspot.com
beneld
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Mitchell Library foundation stone ceremony.What is that

Postby yoker brian » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:05 am

Andrews Bar?
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby beneld » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:14 am

I should have said i dont think it is Andrews as the spacing is too big for only two covered letters.
ie it looks like
AND---W'S BAR not AND--W'S BAR
the W also doesnt look like a middle initial as the apostrophe s after it would be strange.
Also not Andersons because of the final W
I think it would have been in one of the buildings on the left in this picture http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/index.php?a=street&s=item&key=rYToxOntpOjA7czo4OiJOb3J0aCBTdCI7fQ==&pg=26
beneld
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby zatumate » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:35 am

looks like the bracket for the gas street lamp is between the (e) and (w)
no sig
zatumate
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Rucola » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:46 pm

Drawing a blank here. I went through the Post Office Directory for 1906 looking for a bar with a similar name.

There are no bars with a name like that listed in the right place in North St, assuming the picture shows the east side of North St that no longer exists. On the outside chance that we are actually looking at either Berkeley St or Kent Road, there is no joy there either. Berkeley St doesn't work from the geometry anyway, and I don't think Kent Road does either. There was a bar at 25, Somers D, spirit merchant, but that was on the corner of Cleveland St and the bar on the picture is too far up.

If the sign next to the pub is "PLUMBERS" it could be Wallace & Connell, plumbers at 190 North St. But next to that is just Mrs Alex Russell and various other names, no Andr--ws Bar.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:05 am

In the late 1940s early 1950s used to go past that way nearly every day. I bought scones in the diary at the corner. The girl would cut them and put an "wee" bit of butter on them at no extra charge which I always recall because I think butter was rationed. There was a sort of medical supplies co, a shop that sold "sweets" but I could only buy cinnamon sticks. Era of rationing. But in the middle of the block on the way to Charing Cross station was a bar. Not very big two windows with a front door I think the plumbers was still there.Showing my age now!! The ambulances used to be parked in Elmbank Street and NRG batteries were down next to Smiths Industries in North Street.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby beneld » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:16 am

I went looking at old maps to see if they gave any clues. This is from an 1897 ( i think ) map, i have marked the Public Houses with a red dot. The pub just North East of where the Mitchell will be built is the target bar i think,
Mitchel1wph.jpg

( If you click on the image you should get a bigger version to view)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beneld
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Rucola » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:26 pm

Definitely Andrews in this 1963 picture:

Does this look familiar Moonbeam?

It’s also just occurred to me that the bar is probably named after the St Andrew’s Halls, rather than being the name of the owner as was still common in 1907.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:21 pm

A thought.

If the foundation stone was laid where it now sits, that'd make the buildings in the background, running off to the right, Kent Rd where Tesco is now and the buildings running left would be North St south of Kent Rd.

The Ygorra float is turning south out of Berkeley St (at McHarg Rennie and Linday?) so the 'Andrews' opposite is on the east side of North Street, just south of Sauchiehall Street.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:02 pm

Re the above. I'm beginning to doubt my recollection of the location of the foundation stone.

I think it's to the left of the North St entrance. Am I right?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:42 pm

The float is turning right out of Berkley st past Macharg Rennie & Lindsay.The shops I knew are further down. Between Bath Street and Charing Cross station. My grans sister lived in Cleveland St and I visited from around 1944-55 or so. I used to go to the dairy at the corner of North St and Bath St for her -two or three times a week. That was on the Charing Cross station side.I think there was also sort of wholesale stationers-but there was a sweet shop-I recall getting liquorice root-not on ration- or cinnamon sticks out of a glass jar. They also sold potato crisps if I recall Robertsons? They had a blue diamond on the packet and I think were made in Glasgow. I think they were 1/2d cheaper than Smiths. There was also some kind of chewing gum not rationed-tasted strange- which they sold. In those days a "National Loaf" was priced to a farthing. It was the only time I ever recall getting or using farthings.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:01 pm

Is that the dairy behind the traffic light? 1968.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby beneld » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:26 pm

Thats the picture i linked a bit earlier in this thread and you can see the same front as in the truck picture of "Andrews" but it just doesnt seem to fit to me . The width of the original bar ( title easily has And*ws Bar not just Andrews ) and the door position would fit better if the bar was originally in "Bells" cleaners location. (ie looking at the original bar, window would be on left with door on right )
Thanks for the interest , makes me wonder how many more of these there are.
beneld
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:06 pm

As 'Zatumate' said earlier, the lamp bracket is attached to the wall between the E & the W, so it probably is 'Andrew's Bar'. Though given the location of the pub, could it not just as easily be named 'St. Andrew's Bar'?

Here is another example of a lamp bracket separating letters on a pub signage (hit pause as soon as the video begins):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... TPM#t=527s

As an aside, here is the trowel & mallet that Carnegie used on that day:

Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:14 pm

The Egg Man wrote:A thought.

If the foundation stone was laid where it now sits, that'd make the buildings in the background, running off to the right, Kent Rd where Tesco is now and the buildings running left would be North St south of Kent Rd.

The Ygorra float is turning south out of Berkeley St (at McHarg Rennie and Linday?) so the 'Andrews' opposite is on the east side of North Street, just south of Sauchiehall Street.

Three things.

Number one : Ygorra. I remember seeing a copy of that when my dad went to University as a mature student in the seventies, and thinking even then 'How do they get away with this stuff?'. They'd (not even probably) be jailed for most of the racist, sexist (etc) content now.

Number two : I have a minor obsession regarding Andy Carnegie. I bought a fifth biography of the gent in Voltaire & Rousseau's a couple of weeks ago. Anything you want to know, etc.

And Number three : Hats off to Hollowhorn. Glad to still have you aboard, Sir.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants