Mitchell Library foundation stone ceremony.What is that bar?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Mitchell Library foundation stone ceremony.What is that

Postby motman » Wed May 01, 2013 3:58 pm

tomvox wrote:
HollowHorn wrote:
tomvox wrote:There was a very lively discussion over which young lady would be most effective

A unanimous decision, I would have thought. :D

Funnily enough it wasn't. Penthouse supplied about 20 images for us free of charge to decide. We knew that putting a topless model on the cover for the first time should guarantee us huge controversy (and we weren't wrong). Unsurprisingly the female members of the executive committee were less keen on the idea but they went with it in the end. In those days Glasgow's Rag Week was the most successful in the UK raising many thousands of pounds for local charities.

I still have a copy of Ygorra dating from 1972, with a yellow cover, picked up when I was ambushed for some money on a bus when it first came out. I understand it was banned by the powers that be shortly afterwards. Looking through it it was way over the top for that time, hence very popular with us teenagers and students: nowadays it would be seen as boring. Brings back memories :oops:
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed May 01, 2013 11:29 pm

It was banned sporadically in certain institutes usually after being invited to ban it by the editor. But there were no powers that be.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri May 03, 2013 7:25 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:It was banned sporadically in certain institutes usually after being invited to ban it by the editor.

... which both made me chuckle and corroborated what my father (who was at Strathclyde in the early 70s) told me.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants