Crabsticks

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Crabsticks

Postby Seamey » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:34 pm

Are there still people selling crabsticks round the pubs in town these days? They were always really dodgy and even the prawn cocktail sauce couldn't hide the smell.
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:53 pm

Dunno, but my mate's next-door neighbour once bought a parrot from someone in a pub. The parrots name was Coco-Pops.

I swear to god this story is true. I get him to tell me it at moments of great annoyance. It cheers me up.

Nothing to do with crabsticks, but I've been dying to tell this story for ages.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:58 pm

There's a (live) parrot in the window of one of the barber shops in Shettleston Rd. There's a label on its cage with its story, but I can't remember any of it. That might be because I didn't read it though :(

Completely irrelevant, but... maybe interesting.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:28 pm

There always seemed to be this bloke with a beard and an enormous belly selling these in the pubs. Hardly the best advert for the crabstick diet.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:31 am

JayKay wrote:There always seemed to be this bloke with a beard and an enormous belly selling these in the pubs. Hardly the best advert for the crabstick diet.

Does eating crabsticks make you grow a beard? Blimey!
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby excoriate » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:21 pm

When my family and me went to Whitley Bay on caravan holidays, a fine gentleman used to come around the site social club and sell crab sticks. They were most delightful.

I still get some from Asda, forgot to get them the other day, but tomorrow I shall!! :roll:
excoriate
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby smartie » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:35 pm

A but they are crab "Flavoured" sticks, they have about 0.5% crab in them....
smartie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Shazbat » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:03 pm

Aye, and something called 'surimi' what's that - fish factory sweepings?
Shazbat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:58 pm

Shazbat wrote:Aye, and something called 'surimi' what's that - fish factory sweepings?

Pretty much:

"Surimi ( lit. "ground meat" in Japanese) refers to a product made from white-fleshed fish or poultry. The lean fish fillets are minced and rinsed multiple times to form a gelatinous fish paste. The fish paste is then mixed with food-grade cryoprotectants and additives such as starch, egg white, salt, vegetable oil, sorbitol, sugar, soy protein and seasonings and then packed and frozen. Surimi is an inexpensive rich protein source suitable for the making of various kinds of processed foods.
In North America, surimi also means products produced from this process when fish is used, particularly artificial crab and lobster meat. Usually, the frozen surimi is thawed and them shaped with food coloring and additional flavorings added. The resulting product has the texture as if it was a whole natural product."
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:46 pm

Called Seafood Sticks now, because of the %age content that is crab meat, majority of it is Surimi nowadays.

They have surimi in seafood selections and can buy it in a prawn cocktail sauce in morrisons for 99p.

Seafood sticks there are usually on offer at 2for99p for the 10pk, altho not on just now, ill put an edit on this when it reappears for those who love them.

Personally i think theyre minging - oh and as a ps im a fish monger by trade ::):
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:23 pm

Can't stand the things!!
I love crabmeat & sweetcorn soup from (THE F**KING CHINESE TAKEAWAY!!!!!!!!!) but most places just sell it now with those bloody things in it and when you complain they say "it IS crap-meat" and you want to shout "I know it's bloody CRAP meat, I want CRAB!!!"
Rant over!
Last edited by cheesylion on Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shazbat » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:53 pm

Tobester wrote:
Personally i think theyre minging - oh and as a ps im a fish monger by trade

Hi Tobes,
As an expert on things piscine can you tell me how common worms in cod are? Was cooking a 'nice bit of fish' a few months ago only to be somewhat put off by a 3 inch white wormy thing wriggling out of it. Haven't eaten cod since.
And would fish fingers be even more 'wormy'? 8O
Shazbat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:16 pm

The worms are usually found in them naturally from the water, usually when u cook the fish the heat kills them off and shouldnt do any harm.

Most of the preparation factories remove and check for them altho its part of my job to check for them in fillets and whole fish, as a secondary precaution. Ive not found any in the 10months ive been doing the job.

PS to those who like them Seafood Sticks 10pk are on 2 for £1 in morrisons started on the 26th.

Slight change from today, the promo is now on the 16pks 2 for £1.50.
Last edited by tobester on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jupiter-Returns » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:10 pm

Off the crab sticks topic for a mo'...This fishmonger once said to me when I requested for fresh mussels that 'they are seasonal' and he never had any.

Was he talking mince? I know he wasn't selling it as that's stealing the butchers job. :)

But are they seasonal and are there some months you can't get them?

I've a feeling this is a daft question.
"Ma kin ah dae a jobby?" Jobbies, jobbies are funny a bit.
Jupiter-Returns
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:47 pm

They are, the fresh ones you get are only available sept to march in most supermarkets, altho you can get them at fish markets etc.

They do this to help preserve levels and make sure theyre a decent size when theyre available.

So no mussels till Sept time, usually the middle to end
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants