Dodgy Pubs!!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby KonstantinL » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:15 pm

AlanM wrote:Not been brave enough but have been frequently warned about the Stadium Bar in Ibrox. Apparently the 'security' ask you if you're carrying and if you're not they give you a blade

Alan

Oh yeah. A friend of mine in his student days lived just down from there and (being pretty good with at pool) used to sting the locals at the tables. He used to worry me quite a bit, it was a rough clientele and he was the sort of guy to push his luck.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tango » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:38 pm

Got to agree with the 8 ball above the Scotia. I used to go to the Nautical College and it became quite a regular for us at lunchtime for a game of pool and a cheap pint. Usually at that time we were the only ones in but one night we ventured in at 5pm-ish , oh jeez , what a difference , you could feel the eyes of everyone in the place on you as you entered via the secure entry door :) Needless to say in the spirit of a journalist caught in a "massage parlour" , we made our excuses and left sharpish never to venture back. Spent the rest of our time in a cracking wee auld man's type pub near the college , cheap beer & microwave lasagne for £1 - what more can a student need :)

tango
tango
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

From Dusk till dawn

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:24 pm

tango wrote: Usually at that time we were the only ones in but one night we ventured in at 5pm-ish , oh jeez , what a difference , you could feel the eyes of everyone in the place on you as you entered via the secure entry door :) :)

tango

Try it after midnight if you think tea time makes a difference :wink:
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Kendal 2

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:53 pm

Kendal 2 on Argyle Street in the heart of the red light district.

Having been ejected from the corner pub (Rabbie Burns?) beneath The Alhambra (recently burnt down I think?) for violation of the dress code* and en route to a party in a nearby sauna; a mixed group of us stopped off here to kill some time till the sauna tidied up after the paying guests.

It was like the bar in Star Wars. P**fs, whores and comic singers doesn't do the place justice. Every face had won a second prize and the men were no better looking.

Your shoes stuck to the carpet. The 'dancefloor' was like a paddling pool with shards of glass everywhere and the main topic of conversation seemed to be about the transfer of street walkers from one pimp to another.

I don't think it's there now :roll:

* the 'violation' was that the ladies in our party actually had clothes on under their coats (although not many) :wink:
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:17 pm

I arrived at a stag night to find the bride and Groom had been arrested. Still a good stag night. Mind you I think that was the original Kendal on the North side of Argyle street.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dynamo » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:28 pm

The Clachan has to be one of the worst, most indimidating, dodgiest, skankiest dens of iniquity in the world.

I'm a Rangers fan and regularly meet my mates in there after a game mainly because it's the first decent sized pub as you head towards the city. Only ever in it till the lounge shuts though as the bar is like a drunken re-enactment of the rape of nanking.

Truly a toilet.
"When you get right down to it, yer countries a bit like yer fizzer. Fair enough, It might be a pock-marked drink-ridden eyesore, but yer stuck wi' it, so ye might as well try and love it." Rab C Nesbitt.
Dynamo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby ClydeBuilt » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:48 pm

evilmiss wrote:The Cellar in Paisley...isn't a cellar...

Every time I pass that pub there seems to be multiples of broken bar stools/chairs/tables lying outstide, surely that is a bad sign? Or merely poor workmanship?

But it's not a cellar... :?

I realise that this was posted years ago.........but The Cellar or Pat's Bar as it was is full of mummys boy students from Lady Lane. The broken furniture outside was probably caused by Tarquin when he necked two whole pints of cider and fell on the table/chair/ etc etc

Hardly in the same calss as your Tall Cranes, Emerald Isle or Clachan.
ClydeBuilt
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby gwendle » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:39 pm

I think the Redan on Maryhill Road looks ropey but my vote must go to the Lea Rig. Can't say I enjoy being in there for long periods of time. :(
gwendle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:39 am

Ach yous ur aw a bunch a jessies!
Haufa these gaffs yer aw sayin are terrifyin ur/wer awrite places. The New Monaco in the Calton or "The Manky" as the cognoscenti reffered to it was a great place. The 8 Ball, The Kendal Too when it was still there had a magnificent interior, The Dominion and Whitelaws in Brigton usedae be ok but they're quite pish noo.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:38 pm

Thise encounter was in Lynch's (The old Burnt Barns) in the Barras, a hangout of mine which would probably feature in somebdys list on here at some point...
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:17 pm

Has there never been an official HG dodgy pub
tour?
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:19 pm

Pripyat wrote:Has there never been an official HG dodgy pub
tour?

Aye every month, oh no thats just the attendees!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:48 pm

tour?

one in the pipeline. No shite bags btw

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Pripyat » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:12 am

Modern Fossil wrote:
tour?

No shite bags btw

Fossil

Ermmm..... that not a tad politically incorrect Fossil :wink:
So my friend with "the bag" cannot attend... terrible.... :wink:
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:19 pm

we could open a book on who is first for a doin!!
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants