Best....

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Best....

Postby edward carolan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:39 pm

I would like to suggest that as well as warning folks about s*&^%holes , we should be highlighting good places. I know that unscrupulous gits could use to their advantage, but given this forum they would be shot down soon if the product does not match the Hype.
To start this off I would like to recommend the Malaga Tapas (St. Andrews Rd. , round the corner from Shields Rd underground)
Cheap lunches, and pre-theatre, but not so bad price-wise for the quality(not your Tasca/Andalucia ersatz muck) . Lovely staff the real deal. Check it out.
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Best place for lunches

Postby Dot » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:30 pm

Okay so would anyone like to recommend a good place to go for a scotch pie and also somewhere you can get a good mac and cheese? I hope to be in Glasgow later in year but any advice would be welcome.
Maybe city centre or somewhere near Botanic area.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Best....

Postby Dot » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:50 pm

Sadly I won't be back in Glasgow this year as planned.
Hadn't booked a boat or plane but cancelled the hotel booking in November.

For me I'm just staying closer to home for now.
Virus rates seem quite bad in a lot of places and I do feel sorry for students starting Uni in places like Glasgow and
Manchester where there seems to be huge numbers self isolating.

I see in Glasgow students may be refunded a months rent after being ordered to self isolate.

Maybe one day when time is right I will be back over for my scotch pie as mentioned in my earlier post.

Enjoyed my visit in January though weather not great.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:28 pm

Dot shame, I have the grand central hotel booked in December but that’s looking very dodgy, I will be looking for an Ashet pie supper and a bottell of Irn Bru to munch in your memory!
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:38 pm

Henrysix,

I hope you are able to get a break at the hotel at some point if December booking doesn't work out.

Yes it's disappointing as I had booked trip as a present for my other half who had birthday in May.
Booked hotel and some concert tickets but concert postponed for over a year so don't know if I'll be over in December 2021.
I had planned to book either boat or plane tickets a bit nearer the time.

Well there's not much you can do about these things. The virus has had such a big impact on so many people so for now I'll just count my blessings.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:40 am

Dot and the moment everything planned is still on but I have held off on booking the train, but it looks doubtful, DONT know how old you are Dot I am 62, and it’s hard at my age what must it be like for kids!
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:22 pm

Henrysix,

My birthday is next month and then I will be 60 next year.

Yes I think it must be so tough to be at school or Uni right now with all that's going on.

I haven't really ventured too far from home as I do get anxious about rising virus rates.
I go to work and then sometimes do food shopping and that's about the height of it.
Have been to hairdresser who is a friend and get hair done at her home.
She wears visor and takes all the precautions.
Been for a few meals at golf club which is close to home but haven't been out for coffees with friends or to the pub.
Pubs over here close at 11 pm so later than in England.

There are some lovely walks near my home and have a nice garden I can sit in on warmer days.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:32 am

Dot sounds like you’ve got it cracked, so what is your connection with Glasgow, I was born in the Gorbals in 59, and was there till I was 13, my father was one of 9 possibly ten born in the Gorbals in the thirties and early forties.

Different times
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:46 am

Henrysix,

My parents were from Glasgow but moved to Belfast after they married and my Dad got a job there.

Spent many years travelling over on ferry to stay with my Granny and sometimes stayed with other relatives. It was like a second home in some ways and good to get away especially during ' The Troubles' in Belfast.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:26 am

Booked hotel and boat for possible trip to Glasgow in December.
Concert which didn't take place last November was rescheduled but will see nearer the time if virus rates and
travel arrangements allow for visit to go ahead.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:58 am

Dot very best of luck with that, who is the band Jimmy Shand by any chance
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:33 pm

Henrysix,

Tickets were for Elton John.
They were megabucks but as hubby was 65 last year I felt I had to make an effort.

My Dad was a big fan of Jimmy Shand ::):
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:47 pm

Well you couldn't make it up really and the Elton John concert which was originally November 2020 and then postponed to December 2021 is now postponed again.

Apparently Elton fell and badly injured his hip so concert now taking place in June 2023.
Now don't get me wrong I wouldn't want to see anyone suffering or in pain but I think at this rate I would nearly just prefer to get my money back and use it for a wee mini break in UK or Ireland.

Tickets were meant to be a present but not even sure I still want to go with all that's been going on with virus rates etc.
I ordered them before March 2020.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:39 pm

Dot, I don’t blame you, at the end of the day it should be up to you and to just think your going to wait another 20 months is not very customer friendly, perhaps you could swap it for some other artiste!
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Mon May 23, 2022 11:27 am

My hubby reckons we should just hold off on the Elton tickets and the concert is next summer so who knows whether it goes ahead. We shall just have to wait and see.

He has bought tickets for 'The Eagles' who are on next month in Dublin so maybe that one will go ahead as planned.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants