Dodgy Pubs!!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby gwendle » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:08 pm

Jupiter-Returns wrote:Bairds *phew* plus a few more down the eastend. The Argosy on PRW used to be a tad strange; a right few strangers in there.

Went to Bairds before a gig not that long ago and the regulars where lovely (Im not kidding). We went back in after the gig and we were all buying each other drinks. I was surprised, I was dreading going in at first.

I hate Lauders, not because its rough just because its shit.

Framptoms is a bit dodgy, from a womans point of you. I get the impression its the woman who are up for a fight rather than the men.

Not a fan of the Politician either.

Used to work in the Maryhill Tavern for a while. Lets just say I didn't make it my local when I was off shift.

Only been in the Scotch & Rye once for a funeral wake, which was enough.

I remember going to another funeral wake (Im not a professional mourner ;)) up in Duntocher area. Can't remember the name but I think it was your typical damp 60's building with an upstairs function bit.
gwendle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:54 pm

the bugle in maryhill along from framptons was an interesting nights entertainment 8O
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Deffo The Barge in Garthamlock.
That place was overrun by gangsters in the 80s.
You were always careful about who/what you were talking about when certain regulars were in....
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:59 pm

My pals drink in Framptons for the atmos..
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Dodgy Pubs!!

Postby foolsgold » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:39 pm

ranza bar-blackhill seriously dodgy
anchorage-yoker
jarvies-yoker
the bugle-maryhill

been in a right few that i cant remember the name of as i was a bookie for 6 years
foolsgold
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby rabmania » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:05 pm

foolsgold wrote:
been in a right few that i cant remember the name of as i was a bookie for 6 years

Being a bookie gives you amnesia?
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:46 pm

being in the bookies gives me amnesia.......ah cannae remember the last time ah won anything.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:44 pm

This week's "Search before you post" award goes to foolsgold. Well done, that chap.

banjo wrote:being in the bookies gives me amnesia.......ah cannae remember the last time ah won anything.

Tunnel vision, more like - you can't see all those rich bookies.

Josef, Vice President (former gambling industry workers), HG.com
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:01 pm

Years ago in the bar under the hills hotel in Drumchapel. Having a quiet pint minding my business. The doors swung open and three really big guys came in followed by a short thin guy. Thin guy points out some bloke.
One of the big guys says "that him boss".Three guys go over and lift this guy off his feet and drag him backward out the doors into the night. As soon as the door shut I joined a sort of mass stampede out the place. I have no idea what happened. A couple of years before that I was in the long demolished Linkwood Bar in the Drum. Some sort of fight broke out over a game of darts. Two of the biggest "polis" I have ever seen appeared like magic and carted off this bloke with a dart stuck in the middle of the back of his head to a chorus of "one hundred and eighty" from the rest of the darts players!
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:44 pm

moonbeam wrote:Years ago in the bar under the hills hotel in Drumchapel. Having a quiet pint minding my business. The doors swung open and three really big guys came in followed by a short thin guy. Thin guy points out some bloke.
One of the big guys says "that him boss".Three guys go over and lift this guy off his feet and drag him backward out the doors into the night. As soon as the door shut I joined a sort of mass stampede out the place. I have no idea what happened. A couple of years before that I was in the long demolished Linkwood Bar in the Drum. Some sort of fight broke out over a game of darts. Two of the biggest "polis" I have ever seen appeared like magic and carted off this bloke with a dart stuck in the middle of the back of his head to a chorus of "one hundred and eighty" from the rest of the darts players!

So, a free cabaret laid on in both of these fine establishments yet you post them in the 'dodgy pubs'? :wink:
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:37 am

darts,and here was me thinking sportsbars were a recent thing.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:09 pm

Aye the pub under the Hills Hotel also had a pool table and/or tables. Another tale re the Linkwood Bar. The regulars had been collecting for some charity sponsored by Richard(?) Attenborough. Any way the great man was in Glasgow and dropped by to get a photo and collect the cheque. I think less than 1 minute would be the time he spent in the establishment!!! I also recall being in the I think Labour social club at Queenslie-not quite sure- It got raided by the police.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the bar biographer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:18 pm

Apologies if this strays beyond the acceptable parameters of the forum but the dodgiest pub I can remember was in London.

In quite a central location in Camden so you wouldn't expect it to be that scary. The World's End they call it. Looked at recent reviews and no mention of fights etc but when I was in there in the early nineties the place reeked of evil. You felt it was going to kick-off any second. And not a friendly look or word from a soul. I guess it may have been a dealers' hang-out.
http://thebarbiographer.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/#!/barbiographer
the bar biographer
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby fourbytwo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:52 pm

8O Well you don't have to worry too much about the Cavendish in Nitshill, passed bye this morning to see fire engines in attendance.....
Always felt that 'young Mr King' would not leave such a goldmine empty too long.....
So it seems, accidentally on purpose the insurance is about to get a battering......... ::):
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby macdonald » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:42 pm

the bar biographer wrote:Apologies if this strays beyond the acceptable parameters of the forum but the dodgiest pub I can remember was in London.

In quite a central location in Camden so you wouldn't expect it to be that scary. The World's End they call it. Looked at recent reviews and no mention of fights etc but when I was in there in the early nineties the place reeked of evil. You felt it was going to kick-off any second. And not a friendly look or word from a soul. I guess it may have been a dealers' hang-out.

I was in that pub a couple of times in the late eighties. Seriously dodgy. Bouncers with walkie-talkies at five o'clock on a Tuesday !!
macdonald
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants