salamanca street

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

salamanca street

Postby charlie mckenzie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:52 pm

i lived in Salamanca street in parkhead from 1969-1975 when the street was demolished. i am looking for any photos of the street and surrounding area. i have been searching for several years now and fear my best chance of finding one is that someone may have some personal snaps. i would be very grateful if anyone could help.
cheers Charlie.
charlie mckenzie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: salamanca street

Postby Johnny_Gogo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:35 pm

No photos of Salamanca Street on Virtual Mitchell. Google Images has a load of pages but the first few are mostly modern so you'd need to perservere.
I remember Parkhead around 1970 when I worked there, big factories down Springfield road, Arrols etc. The Forge was still working too. Parkhead X was a busy place then, wee dairies baking and selling delicious Chelsea buns. Three banks @ the Cross. The picture hoose in Duke Street, can't remember its name but the pub next to it was the Poppin?
Salamanca Street to me meant the 'Sally' - mean troops they were. ::):
Johnny_Gogo
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:38 am

2 images of industrial units from the last century commin up @ rcahms

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:06 am

Johnny_Gogo wrote: The picture hoose in Duke Street, can't remember its name but the pub next to it was the

The Granada.

from Scottish Cinemas
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby charlie mckenzie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:45 am

thanks guys....the first photo is new to me..those works buildings are still standing today just opposite the entrance to the forge market. i remember the coffin factory and the picture house which became a bingo hall if i recall. a picture of the tenements on Salamanca street is the one that is proving to be the most dificult to obtain...i was on 5 years old when i left parkhead for greenfield but i remember playing down the backs and in the old wash houses, i also recall the huge bonfires that where built on the 5th of november, looked about 50 foot high mostly consisting of desks and chairs from the old school. my mother tells me tales of the sally gang and how the would stop hostilities if a wuman wi a pram was to appear walking along the street, once she was gone the sabres would reapear and the battle would restart... :)..real gents..once again thanks for everyones contributions.
Charlie.
charlie mckenzie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby moonbeam » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi used to work in a metal works in Backcauseway. Used to look along Salamanca Street every day. Parked my car just beside the coffin works ie Fyfe Douglas. The good coffins ie the heavy one needed up to 4 men to put them in the undertakers car or van. The cheap one were a two man job!!When one of the lassies out the coffin works was getting married that was a real carry on!! Played football sometimes in a kick about at lunch time.I worked off an on from 1958 to 1982 in this works. Was in Salamance Street every day in 1969! There was a tenement collapse in Salamanca Street in the 1960s? The tenements that backed on to the school in Westmuir Street collapsed and
were pulled down. Salamanca Street was one of the last streets in Glasgow still with gas lights in the late 1960's. Do you recall the old weavers row in Nisbet Street? There was a chap kept horses and carts he hired out to hawkers round the corner from the coffin works. In 1980 when their was green grass everywhere the old tenements had been demolished he would sling a rope with a tyre on it round a pony's neck and let it graze on the new grass!! Vencil blocked off part of Salamanca Street that ran onto Backcauseway when they extended their works.It used to be Beardmores old pattern shop. There was boiler shop with earth floors in East Wellington Street. Very very old fashioned place even in the late 1950s. The cinema was the Grenada.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:41 pm

Had a look at the first picture. This is East Wellington Street. Taken from about the corner of Nisbet Street looking east. The white buildings on the right were where horses and carts were kept and hired out to street hawkers.Backcauseway is to the right beyond the black roofed building-was Beardmores Foundry pattern shop then Vencil Resin took over. You can see the metal refinery in Backcausway chimney in the middle of the black roofs on the right.In the second picture I recall that grocers being open with a slot machine in it. The kids would come in and get the penny tray and put pennies in the slot machine.It was an old american thing. I seem to recall the parents of the kids being very unhappy regarding this and something about the "abomination of these slot machines in corner shops" appearing in a newspaper at the time. The van outside the Fyfe Douglas was for transporting coffins. Their vans were always black!!!! A correction-the weavers row was the next street up from Nisbet Street-on the left side running up towards Westmuir Street. The memory now aint what it used to be! A fruit shed and sort of sawmill thing at the back stood at the corner of Westmuir Street and Nisbet Street. Painted green corrugated iron!
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby charlie mckenzie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:09 pm

charlie mckenzie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby moonbeam » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:49 pm

Hi Charlie. I used to park my car on the other side of the street from the lampost in picture one. Reason I could look out the works window and see if anyone was going to steal it!! I recall the kids playing in this school play ground at lunchtime in 1958. How sad it all looks now. For years I worked in a place that looked straight onto your first picture. Used to see the view in pic one every day for years and years! That building was used to cook school meals when I knew the area. Have not been near this area for more than 25 years now.Ravel Row was where they had old weavers houses. Would have been preserved now. Was it the Hare and Hound or Horse and Hound the pub near the junction of East Wellington Street and Duke Street? I used to have the odd pint in the Prince Charlie and
O Kanes in Westmuir Street.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby charlie mckenzie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:02 pm

charlie mckenzie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby stevieboy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:42 pm

I stayed in salamanca street I think it was number 12 next to the wee shop near the Duke street end it had a ootside toilet in the close thank god I stayed in the bottom. I lived there from about 71 to 73 I was only seven and eight at the time it was a picture house when I moved there but a bingo by the time I left.
Stevie
In the name o the wee man
stevieboy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects