Kelvinbridge Subway and Station

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Kelvinbridge Subway and Station

Postby magicalmysticalman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi guys and girls,

Newbie here, although been looking through the pages for a few years. Just wondered if any one could help me out. Im looking to obtain plans to Kelvinbridge Undergorund station. Unfortuantely SPT have decided against issuing me the plans. Im studying at GSA and looking to re-develop the subway, with kelvingrove as a flagship for the new design. Ay information regarding kelvinbridge Subway and station, would be very grateful, even just a rough layout sketch.

Thanks
magicalmysticalman
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Kelvinbridge Subway and Station

Postby rico » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:15 am

a high detail OS map will give you fairly decent exterior drawings. For the inside you'll probably need to draw it yourself.

Perhaps the recently redeveloped partick interchange might have more easily found drawings available.
rico
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:48 pm

I suppose in these tranquil times it would be ideal if the transport network were to furnish with the full blueprint of all that happens. Perhaps even hook you into the database ::):

Surely as a student at GSA you can try to be creative about getting sizes, locations and stuff. It'd take one visit and you could quite easily have a good understanding of where everything is and what is around about.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:10 pm

The original entrance was (I think) in the shop one along from the corner next to the staircase up from the current one.

There's a fair bit about it on a thread here somewhere that doesn't immediately spring to mind but I'm sure will yield to a search and a bit of patience.

The original elevator to the plafform is, apparently, still there. I've always meant to go in to the shop and ask for a look, but never have.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:05 am

The current emergency exit was the old doorway. I've never heard that about anything being accessible via the shop, worth a look :)

GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:05 am

I've found the original post I was thinking of on the Subway thread - looks like I've misremembered a bit.

nodrog wrote:
JamesMc wrote:Anyhoo, my point was that the original entrance to Kelvinbridge seems to have been what is now Mortons t shirt shop across from the new station at the bottom of the staircase. Haven't made it down there since noticing this yet, but i'll certainly check it out.

Thats quite right - it was one of two entrances to this station as I understand it. The one next to Mortons at the bottom of the steps is now the fire exit from the current station.

Apparently there was also an entrance in the shop unit above this on Great Western Road (where the pine shop is now), that had a lift that took you down to the station. This was removed during modernisation and the shaft roofer over....

Gordon
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BenCooper » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:11 am

"Circles Under the Clyde" has a good description of the stages - the door right next to the stairs was the main entrance. I think the Mortons shop was the ticket office. Then the lift was closed in 1938, but it was reopened in 1967 when the station was refurbished and the ticket office was moved underground.

You would go in, turn left and down the stairs, half-way down the stairs was a right-angled turn (I presume to the left) and then to the landing with the ticket offices. A short passage from the same landing led to the bottom end of the lift. Another set of stairs and a short passage led to the platform.

In the 1977 rebuilding, the old stair became the emergency exit, and the lift shaft was blocked off at the GWR level to make an extension to the shop. I guess that means there's a bit of lift shaft and a passageway hidden down there...
www.transientplaces.co.uk
BenCooper
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects