The Glasgow, Paisley & Ardrossan Canal

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The Glasgow, Paisley & Ardrossan Canal

Postby BTJustice » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Anorak wrote:Image
The picture shows the overgrown site of the former canal and rail terminus at Port Eglinton alongside the railway line heading towards St Enoch Station. The remains of the platforms of Cumberland Street Station on the other side of Eglinton Street can be seen in the distance. You can also get a glimpse of the red sandstone station entrance at Salisbury Street.

I assume that none of the raised sandstone structure is canal related as their was another railway line and bridge that connected to the end of the abutment? Does any of the canal structure exist in this location?
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Anorak » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:32 pm

I think that your assumption is spot-on, BTJ.

On my M74 walk I got a look at the “raised sandstone structure” from other angles. Typical Victorian railway viaducts with arches below, much the same as to be seen throughout Tradeston/ Gorbals.

Here are some views from north and south, showing the track crossing the existing bridge and the redundant pier of the missing bridge.

This map from 1934 suggests that the purpose of the second bridge was to allow access to the expanded Cumberland Street Station. The four tracks very quickly merge into two on the western side of Eglinton Street. At that time there were four terminal tracks for the Port Eglinton Mineral Depot to the south of the bridges where the builders merchants yard, shown above, is situated. I suggest that this would be the most likely ground level site of the canal terminus?

Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby sjclancy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:38 pm

The Canal terminus is clearly seen in the 1st Ed OS Town Plan of Glasgow, just to the south of the joint Station, and just north of Canal Street. We excavated parts of the Canal Warf just to the west of the the builders merchants yard, and came to the conclusion that the the builders merchants yard sits on top of the Terminus. I'm sure an photograph of the trenching has been posted before, but will see if i can find it again.
The link below shows the map...
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.84838&lon=-4.26165&layers=B000000000FFFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
sjclancy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects