Glasgow Parks

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Parks

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:49 pm

Gary Brown wrote:OK some more from this weekend:

Richmond Park at the Glasgow boundary with Rutherglen...damn boundary...used to be Glaswegian so I did!Image

Moving the boundary doesn't make you any less of a Glaswegian. If you were born somewhere when it was a part of Glasgow - you're a Glaswegian.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:27 pm

Ally Doll wrote:
Ally Doll wrote:
Gary Brown wrote: - Helensvale Park, Barrachnie Park, Bridgeton Park, Budhill Park are all missing their GCC signs. I'm 98% positive I was in the correct places (always a little bit of doubt) but I searched hard around the areas as well and no green signs. Even the local folk confirmed I was in the right places.

- GCC also confirmed that there will be at least two new parks in the city following developments in the Dalmarnock Commonwealth Village, Oatlands Regeneration, Garthamlock new builds, Clyde Gateway works, IFSD ongoing work and London Road corridor works.

Helenvale Park is not on the list btw. However it does appear on the proposal for the new council wards. See here: http://www.scottishschools.info/Website ... leston.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's not in Ward 19 but it's in Parkhead next to it as you can see.

Zag

From Britain from Above - Helenvale is at the top of the picture.

Helenvale Park is/was at the top of Helenvale Street behind the Library - there is an old Parks and Recreation sign on the fence. It's pretty much abandonded and I can't fathom why it's on that map. Will try and remember to post a photo.

Bridgeton Park is next to the Bridgeton Community Learning Campus on Dale Street/Old Dalmarnock Road.

I've ranted at length about Helenvale Park elsewhere on this site, so I won't start again.

One question, though : what's that just South of the bowling green across London Road from the bottom of Helenvale St (bisected by the white line?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:25 pm

Josef wrote: what's that just South of the bowling green across London Road from the bottom of Helenvale St (bisected by the white line?

Question answered elsewhere by Peasy23. It's New Springfield Park.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:57 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:#62 : Budhill Park, Springboig
I used to live not too far from this park but never took my kids to its playpark because of the regular presence of unleashed "devil dogs", not to mention their ned owners. It has a football pitch that is fairly regularly used for organised games; rather them than me as you can't walk more than about 10ft in any direction without having to sidestep a pile of shit - the locals obviously don't believe in pooper scoopers.

Only park in Glasgow, that I know of, that has hidden cameras in the trees. Take a look next time you are there.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MungoDundas » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:02 pm

Irritatingly, bimbled onto this website, now that their open day has passed;

https://sites.google.com/site/possilgreenspace/

Hamiltonhill Claypits
Returning to nature place near canal beyond the housing ?
Shall maybe mark the calendar for 12 months hence.
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Glasgow Parks draft management plans.

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:28 am

Plans for your parks – tell us what you think

Land and Environmental Services are seeking your views on draft management plans produced for the following Glasgow parks:

· Victoria Park
· Tollcross Park
· Linn Park
· Auchinlea Park
· Cathkin Braes Country Park

The plans show how these parks will be looked after and developed over the next five years.

View the plans
You can view the plans and make your comments at: http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/YourCouncil/Consultations

For information: parts of both Victoria park and Cathkin braes are Common Good assets
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby War Baby » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:06 pm

Josef,
I used to live 16-up in the high flats at Allan St, Dalmarnock, and I had an allotment beside Belvedere Hospital,
and you know that area you are talking about just south of London Road...? In the eighties, I seem to remember a lot of gypsy caravans about there. Or was it more to the west out of the picture? ...I used to walk that path beside the Clyde from Dalmarnock to the allotments all the time. Once or twice, I saw that white-haired fellah that fished bodies out of the Clyde.
I forget his name but he and his son were well known. I saw him pulling out a dead body once.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:27 pm

War Baby wrote:Josef,
I used to live 16-up in the high flats at Allan St, Dalmarnock, and I had an allotment beside Belvedere Hospital,
and you know that area you are talking about just south of London Road...? In the eighties, I seem to remember a lot of gypsy caravans about there. Or was it more to the west out of the picture? ...I used to walk that path beside the Clyde from Dalmarnock to the allotments all the time. Once or twice, I saw that white-haired fellah that fished bodies out of the Clyde.
I forget his name but he and his son were well known. I saw him pulling out a dead body once.

Depending on the era either George or Ben Parsonage
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby War Baby » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:45 pm

That's them! It was during the period 1976 to 1990, and I think I saw them both. The oldest guy would come upriver on a small boat with an outboard motor at the back, and when he was getting on in years, the son took over.
But they didn't just fish out dead bodies. I believe they also saved a fair number of people from drowning. I must try and buy a book about them someday.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby viceroy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:13 pm

George Parsonage wrote a book some years ago about his father Ben called 'Rescue His Business, The Clyde His Life'. I remember reading it - and it was well worth reading - but I don't know whether I still have it. The book may not be in print any more but if you're interested you might be able to find it on Ebay or Abebooks.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:29 pm

I've got (or had, not sure) a copy somewhere.
Not a great book TBH.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:26 pm

War Baby wrote:That's them! It was during the period 1976 to 1990, and I think I saw them both. The oldest guy would come upriver on a small boat with an outboard motor at the back, and when he was getting on in years, the son took over.
But they didn't just fish out dead bodies. I believe they also saved a fair number of people from drowning. I must try and buy a book about them someday.

I'm pretty certain their boat is on display at the Riverside museum now, with a little video explaining what they did. Pretty amazing stuff - Mr Bint and I were transfixed by the video as I'd never heard of them before seeing the boat.
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby War Baby » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:41 pm

I went to the Riverside Museum a couple of months after it opened, and I didn't happen to see the boat. I must have just missed it. ... I stayed about 15 years at Dalmarnock, and I always heard that boat long before I saw it -- if it's the one with the outboard motor you are talking about. I believe the father just had a rowing boat for some time (but I could be wrong about that.)

....I have found out that the People's Palace at Glasgow Green sells the book "Rescue His Business, The Clyde His Life,"
so I know where to get it now. "Viceroy," thanks for telling me the name of the book.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:32 pm

RDR wrote:I've got (or had, not sure) a copy somewhere.
Not a great book TBH.

Yeah, I was thinking that. It reads more like a diary with no real flow. Very sad at times too. Quite interesting though but it's years old. You'll find it in the Peoples Palace shop where I got it.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:45 pm

It's the Glesga Transport equivalent of the Olympics in 1953 .. and there aff

1953 Glasgow Corporation Transport Recreation Club 25th Annual Open Sports Meeting, Helenvale Park, Glasgow Program
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects