Re: Glasgow Parks

Postby Gary Brown » Wed May 04, 2011 9:50 am

OK some more from this weekend:

Sighthill Park at the Sighthenge

Rottenrow Park near Strathclyde University

Garnethill Park in...well Garnethill

River Clyde Walkway just next to Glasgow Green

Custom House Quay Gardens or what remains of it

Richmond Park at the Glasgow boundary with Rutherglen...damn boundary...used to be Glaswegian so I did!Image

Cathedral Square near Castle Street

Cathkin Braes Country Park
Gary Brown
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed May 04, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks Gary some fantastic images there. :D

A recent report on the future of our parks in time to come.

Item 2 (11 pages)

27th April 2011

Glasgow City Council
Sustainability and the Environment
Policy Development Committee
27 April 2011
Report by Executive Director of Land and Environmental Services

PARKS DEVELOPMENT POLICY AND PROGRESS UPDATE

Purpose of Report:
To update Committee on Parks Development progress emanating from the Strategic Best
Value Review of Parks and to outline further proposed actions.

Recommendations:
Committee is asked to consider the progress made in Parks Development and consider
further areas for update and review.

1. Introduction

1.1 The Land Services Strategic Best Value Review and Implementation Plan
(SBVR) was approved and published in 2005, and remains the strategic
document guiding the development of Glasgow’s parks.
1.2 Over the past 6 years, significant progress has been made towards the delivery
of the resultant action plan. It is now considered an appropriate time to reflect on
experience to date, structural changes within the Council and to consider
potential areas for further review.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gary Brown » Wed May 04, 2011 3:15 pm

Cheers Mori.

I'll try and get to a few more.

There's a Victoria Park Heritage Trail out now also:

Taking a group on a tour there next weekend as part of this International Sundays thing I do.
Gary Brown
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri May 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote: ..............
Do we think that George Square is one of the 'city' parks? Does Blythswood Square fall into the same category?

Speaking of Blythswood Square. I notice railings are being erected around the square :(

I'd rather got used to thinking of it as an open public space.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gary Brown » Fri May 20, 2011 10:19 am

Noticed that the Crookston Heritage Trail is out now and as I was in the Tourist Office on George Square spotted a Maxwell Park and a Ross Hall Park and Gardens heritage trail map leaflet.

Gary
Gary Brown
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Gary Brown » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Hey guys,

Massive thanks to everyone who responded on this thread. My initial query was for a list and I think we more than got that. Currently I'm just going through the GCC parks and actually visiting them and seeing what they are about. Beginning with a photo gallery on each park. I will set up a "collection" on flickr once I'm done. There are, I believe around 90 (explain why in a second), which are run by GCC and I'll get a set on flickr of each one and then post the collection for you all to see.

I can however confirm the following:

- Garthamlock Central Park appears to have succumbed to the redevelopment around the water towers. At least what was considered the central park on the maps is now gone. The large playing fields nearby have separate signage from the park but only for the sports complex and are, I think, under the list of sports and playing fields in the city.

- Windlaw Country Park does not apppear to exist. Honestly, I have scoured Carmunnock and Castlemilk and all I can find are outlying parts of Cathkin Braes Country Park. I have however contacted the council to find out about both this one and Garthamlock Central Park to find out which is the one that actually exists and where.

- Helensvale Park, Barrachnie Park, Bridgeton Park, Budhill Park are all missing their GCC signs. I'm 98% positive I was in the correct places (always a little bit of doubt) but I searched hard around the areas as well and no green signs. Even the local folk confirmed I was in the right places.

- Pollok Country Park and Garnethill Park are the only ones so far where they have signs but there are no green GCC signs.

- I have only been to 55 of the ones on the list (and a few others not on the list) so I still have a bit to go but the East End and South East plus most of the South is almost all finished.

- I said I'd mention why I said around 90. There are also GCC park signs on Carmmunock Coppice Woodland, Carmunnock Village Green, Cathedral Square, Citizen's Rose Garden (which is a sad and sorry sight following the Laurieston demolitions) and one other which completely escapes me right now. They are not included on the Sports Grounds and Playing fields list or the Cemeteries list so are essentially non-entities at present. They fit the bill for parks.

- GCC also confirmed that there will be at least two new parks in the city following developments in the Dalmarnock Commonwealth Village, Oatlands Regeneration, Garthamlock new builds, Clyde Gateway works, IFSD ongoing work and London Road corridor works.

Helenvale Park is not on the list btw. However it does appear on the proposal for the new council wards. See here: http://www.scottishschools.info/Website ... leston.pdf
It's not in Ward 19 but it's in Parkhead next to it as you can see.

Zag
Gary Brown
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Gary Brown » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:50 pm

OK some more information. I've now been to all the parks in the east end (providing Garthamlock Central Park does not exist) and can confirm Beardmore Park, like Pollok Country Park and Garnethill Park, does not have a green GCC sign but does have signage.

Also, Riddrie Park, according to the new Community Council Review ward sheet pdfs is most of the space around Riddrie Park Cemetery. The signage is all cemetery but the rear sign near the residential area should probably lose the Cemetery part.
Gary Brown
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby the researcher » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:53 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
viceroy wrote:
Josef wrote:
viceroy wrote:Haven't seen Plantation Park being mentioned (and tut tut Josef, you should have got that one).

I couldn't remember what it was called, V. :oops:

I knew it wasn't Kinning Park Park...

Quite a lot of people think it's just called Kinning Park, but that's the name of the district, called after the Kinning House estate which once covered the area. Plantation Park is rather smaller than it used to be, a chunk having been lopped off when the M8 Motorway was built about 30 years ago.

I take it Plantation Park is the little park next to Kinning Park subway then?

me and my cousin and his two pals used to go to plantation park and if you put your ear to the ground you could hear the subway train passing underneath
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MungoDundas » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:42 am

Grtz,

The map beside the Springburn Park sign mentions a point at 112m.

Some snaps of the derelict glasshouse at:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/582088120PZqyhI

HNY!
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:54 pm

Good news for Rouken Glen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-18676099

Rouken Glen Park awarded £2m lottery funding
Rouken Glen Park was opened in 1906
More than £2m in lottery funding has been awarded to a historic park near Giffnock, East Renfrewshire.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:14 pm

Gary Brown wrote: - Helensvale Park, Barrachnie Park, Bridgeton Park, Budhill Park are all missing their GCC signs. I'm 98% positive I was in the correct places (always a little bit of doubt) but I searched hard around the areas as well and no green signs. Even the local folk confirmed I was in the right places.

- GCC also confirmed that there will be at least two new parks in the city following developments in the Dalmarnock Commonwealth Village, Oatlands Regeneration, Garthamlock new builds, Clyde Gateway works, IFSD ongoing work and London Road corridor works.

Helenvale Park is not on the list btw. However it does appear on the proposal for the new council wards. See here: http://www.scottishschools.info/Website ... leston.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zag

Helenvale Park is/was at the top of Helenvale Street behind the Library - there is an old Parks and Recreation sign on the fence. It's pretty much abandonded and I can't fathom why it's on that map. Will try and remember to post a photo.

Bridgeton Park is next to the Bridgeton Community Learning Campus on Dale Street/Old Dalmarnock Road.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:41 pm

Mind George Squares a park as well
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:13 pm

Ally Doll wrote:
Gary Brown wrote: - Helensvale Park, Barrachnie Park, Bridgeton Park, Budhill Park are all missing their GCC signs. I'm 98% positive I was in the correct places (always a little bit of doubt) but I searched hard around the areas as well and no green signs. Even the local folk confirmed I was in the right places.

Helenvale Park is not on the list btw. However it does appear on the proposal for the new council wards. See here: http://www.scottishschools.info/Website ... leston.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zag

From Britain from Above - Helenvale is at the top of the picture.

Helenvale Park is/was at the top of Helenvale Street behind the Library - there is an old Parks and Recreation sign on the fence. It's pretty much abandonded and I can't fathom why it's on that map. Will try and remember to post a photo.

Bridgeton Park is next to the Bridgeton Community Learning Campus on Dale Street/Old Dalmarnock Road.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:37 pm

vimeo

And soon a new L shaped park @ laurieston :D

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects