Obelisk in Eastwood Park

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Obelisk in Eastwood Park

Postby wellerfan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:36 pm

Wondered if anyone may be able to shed some light on an obelisk I came across in Eastwood Park. It has no engravings or plaques to indicate what it was built to commemorate and is surrounded by trees which pretty much hides it from view during the summer months. Took some photos of it today (November 8th) which I shall hopefully be able to upload very soon. It stands about 30-40 feet high and it would appear that either the top stone (think it is called a 'ben ben') has fallen off in the past or it was never completed.
Thanks for any information forthcoming on this.
wellerfan
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Obelisk in Eastwood Park

Postby wellerfan » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:29 pm

I have added some photos of the Obelisk below. As you can see it is surrounded by trees which all but hide it from view when they are covered in foliage. Any ideas or suggestions as to what it was built to commemorate. There are no signs at all on or nearby to give a clue as to what, what or why it was built.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx1/ ... lisk10.jpg

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx1/ ... elisk5.jpg

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx1/ ... elisk8.jpg

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx1/ ... lisk12.jpg
wellerfan
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby toomse » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:30 am

Hi wellerfan - 176 views with no response!

I’m not familiar with this area but whereabouts on the map is it located or better still do you have a specific national grid reference
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:36 pm

Hi wellerfan; welcome to HG :) This should keep me out of mischief for a while. That fourth photo has goalposts in the background. It's in some trees and there's a building to one side. Searching googlemaps...

Send out a search party if I'm not back by teatime! :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:06 pm

It's hiding in the trees off the top of the middle of the map. Had to use the birds' eye view on Bing looking west to find it. Not far from Wood Farm Road.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Nosht » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:37 pm

Can't help with the obelisk but I used to play under the main road where the McDonald Hotel was built & there were remains of on old villa & pool there, supposedly Roman I was told by my friend Dave Clark - but I really don't think that it was as old as that.

Regards,

Nosht.
Nosht
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby wellerfan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:02 pm

Thanks for the info regarding the area around the park. I had no idea that the area could have remains dating back to roman times and I will see what more I can find out about that aspect. Still trying to get some info on the obelisk, ie how old or what is was built to commemorate. It just seemed a bit strange that it is practically hidden from view by the surrounding trees during the summer months. Will see if Eastwood House can shed some light on it.

Anyway off now to hire a metal detector for next weekend to look for Roman Coins.
wellerfan
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby toomse » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:48 pm

looked on Google Earth & Bing but can’t see anything

I have access to historic OS maps that may shed some light but I need to know the exact location

wellerfan can you highlight specifically where it is on the map
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby wellerfan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried to find it using google earth and although the obelisk appears to be hidden by the surrounding trees the best guestimate for its location on google maps is 55.801109,-4.306195 It is located at the far corner of Eastwood Park near woodfarm road and sits very near to the two buildings located at the map reference.
Thanks again for any information you could shed on it.
wellerfan
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby toomse » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:49 pm

Here’s a Google map of the coordinates you provided

If this is the correct location it’s a chimney

Here’s a historic map. These are slightly misaligned as the image is superimposed on top of the present day OS map. Still showing the symbol for a chimney
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:55 pm

It's hiding in the trees to the left of the buildings in the centre of the picture. We are looking west.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby wellerfan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:24 pm

Looks like mystery solved. Didnt consider that it may be a chimney, probably because it goes right to the ground without any sign of a duct for smoke or fumes to enter up it, but giving it more thought that then it is feasible and the maps you kindly posted identify it as just that.

Many thanks for your help in resolving this little mystery.
wellerfan
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Fossil » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:42 pm

It might be a scratch on your specs?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby the white rabbit » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:50 am

I "discovered" the obelisk 2 days ago. I was interested to see it was a chimney, but now want to know a chimney to what? There doesn't appear to be any builders/building mark to suggest it was attached to anything, or was open (as in fireplace).

If it's chimney or vent to something underground wonder whats there? Walked most of the streams/burns in the area and can't think of one that goes in that direction. Maybe sewer?

anyone any ideas why someone would build a chimney there? or what its the chimney to?
Last edited by the white rabbit on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the white rabbit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby wellerfan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:01 pm

Same questions have pondered me since finding out that it was a chimney, my best guestimate was that it must have been for something underground as their is no obvious sign of an opening around its perimeter, although their is a 'slab' at ground level on one side of the chimney which may be a cover for what was once a fireplace/furnace/oven. What I do not understand is why it has been left standing when any buildings that were attached to it have been flattened unless it still has some practical use such as a discharge chimney for sewer gases.

Will revisit again soon see if i can make any more of it.

the white rabbit wrote:I "discovered" the obelisk 2 days ago. I was interested to see it was a chimney, but now want to know a chimney to what? There don't appear to be any builders/building mark to suggest it was attacked to anything, or was open (as in fireplace).

If it's chimney or vent to something underground wonder whats there? Walked most of the streams/burns in the area and can't think of one that goes in that direction. Maybe sewer?

anyone any ideas why someone would build a chimney there? or what its the chimney to?
wellerfan
Just settling in
Just settling in

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects