Demolished Dalmuir

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Demolished Dalmuir

Postby Toby Dammit » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:26 pm

Chat about the new railway bridge being built at Dalmuir on the “Least Attractive Glasgow Train Stations” thread reminded me that I had some shots of the old one, as well as pics of other long gone bits of Dalmuir. I shot all the black and white ones in 1981/1882 on my first SLR.

The old bridge

The old station building

The tenement seen on the upper right is long gone too. It was part of the row being demolished below, facing Duntocher Road.

The remains of the notorious asbestos works (now the site of Beardmore Hotel and Conference Centre), shot from a bus shelter on Dumbarton Road

Scott Street (I think?)

View of Clydebank from Beardmore Way

I’m not sure when I took this colour one of the site of the old Regal Cinema, I thought around 1995, but online sources say it was demolished in 1991...

I know I didn’t take the picture as early as that. The shop next door at the time was the “Clydebank Stamp and Coin Exchange”. I’m not even sure that tenement building still exists , never mind such an anachronistic business. As a bonus I’ve finished with a shot of the Regal I found a few years ago on the web.
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Demolished Dalmuir

Postby The_Clincher » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:37 pm

Fantastic pictures! :wink:

Five high tenements.....i wouldn't like to have done a flitting in those.

Where was that cinema roughly?
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:00 pm

According to nodrog of this parish's site :

Regal / Dalmuir Picture House Dumbarton Road / Caledonia Street, Dalmuir

Opened 1915 by WB Inglis. West Regent Circuit (Winocour's) s.777 + 352 balc. Sold to Green's, 1956. Reconstructed 1930 by John Fairweather. Demolished 1991.

Photos here.

Any of our motoring correspondents able to date the cars in the photos later than 1991?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:25 pm

Josef wrote:According to nodrog of this parish's site :

Regal / Dalmuir Picture House Dumbarton Road / Caledonia Street, Dalmuir

Opened 1915 by WB Inglis. West Regent Circuit (Winocour's) s.777 + 352 balc. Sold to Green's, 1956. Reconstructed 1930 by John Fairweather. Demolished 1991.

Photos here.

Any of our motoring correspondents able to date the cars in the photos later than 1991?

Datsun Sunny or Cherry in the first photo

Talbot van,Citroen CX Safari and Ford Fiesta mark 1 in the second

None in any way post 1991 only.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:43 pm

that photo of duntocher rd being demolishedfreaked me out tobe cos that is my hoose in the photo.we stayed at number 28.the year is 1983 and the rear wall of the building collapsed into the back court in the middle of the night.it was about two closes down from me that just fell apart,we thought it was thunder and were woken the next morning by the police and told to get out sharpish.a copulsory purchase order was slapped on the whole street from dumbarton rd up to dalmuir station.we were made homeless and had to spend a few days on the community centre floor across the street while the council tried to find accomodation for an entire street.that is the first time i have ever seen any photographic evidence of that time.it was a complete fluke that no lives were lostthat night.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:14 pm

Interesting story Banjo. Most of the buildings in Dalmuir were weakened by the hammering the place took in the Blitz and took a further knock (or should that be "blow") in the hurricane of 1968. I've learned that the block on Dumbarton Road opposit Haddows is now being empted and boarded up (quick, get your cameras out), presumably for demolision?

One of the most important shops in Dalmuir (as far as I was concerend as a child) was on this block of tenements on Duntocher Road. At the end by the Cresent Stairs were a row of three businesses which you had to go up a small, streggling set of steps to enter. One was the barbers where I'd be taken to get my hair cut (sitting on a wooden board placed over the chair's arms), one was a sweet shop which also sold small toys, and one was a newsagent.

It was from the newsagent, which I passed every day going to Dalmuir Primary, that I got my comics from (all the way up to ACTION in the mid '70's). At Halloween we got our "false faces" from there as it always had the best selection and at Guy Fawkes night it always had the best fire works. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called though, or the sweet shop.

I saw my first film ever in The Regal, SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARVES I'm told, and my Uncle George used to be a projectionist there, but sadly he died when I was very young.
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:53 pm

Toby Dammit wrote:I saw my first film ever in The Regal, SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARVES I'm told, and my Uncle George used to be a projectionist there, but sadly he died when I was very young.

I'd be interested to see how many people on here over the age of twenty saw their first film at a cinema that still exists.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sunnysider » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:48 am

Battle of the Bulge at the now-vanished ABC Kilbowie Road, about 1967 I was told but I can't remember, so ...

Krakatoa East of Java 1970, with my maw at the Odeon Anniesland which still exists ... sort of.
sunnysider
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:54 pm

i too seen battle of the bulge in that cinema as a wee whitecrook lad,my mrs went to dalmuir primary as did her brothers in the sixties and seventies.will try to find out the shop name for you.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:07 pm

Josef wrote:
Toby Dammit wrote:I saw my first film ever in The Regal, SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARVES I'm told, and my Uncle George used to be a projectionist there, but sadly he died when I was very young.

I'd be interested to see how many people on here over the age of twenty saw their first film at a cinema that still exists.

aye, all of the ones i used to go to are gone :(

Brilliant pics toby
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:46 pm

Toby Dammit wrote:Can't for the life of me remember what it was called though, or the sweet shop.

My memory was jogged by my brother in law, who used to work as a paper boy in the newsagents, "Jenny's". He says the sweetshop was called "Arnolds" or "Arnots".
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:36 pm

tobe,ive just been told jensas named after the owners jenny and sam who lived next to the hardgate fire station,they also took over the hairdressers next to the tv repair shop on that row which i recall became clydebanks first video rental shop around 1980.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stranger » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:33 pm

Josef wrote:I'd be interested to see how many people on here over the age of twenty saw their first film at a cinema that still exists.

The Parade in Denistoun is sill there even though it's not a cinema any more does that count :D
stranger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:36 pm

No. :D

Neither does the one at Anniesland Cross.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:53 pm

banjo wrote:which i recall became clydebanks first video rental shop around 1980.

Of course! Totaly forgot that, and how ironic it comes up in a thread which also laments the decline in cinema going, in many ways video rentals were the last nail in the coffin to so many picture houses (though The Regal closed long before that).

Although nobody in my family owned a video player I used to go into the video rental shop (the first one I'd ever seen) quite often as a friend of mine was a frequent customer. All those lurid sleaze 'n horror covers which triggered the "Video Nasty" scare were on display, until the 1984 Video Recordings Act banned stuff like I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE, CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST and DRILLER KILLER. And now of course they're all available uncut with 18 certs on DVD (or even 15 for some titles), in the case of the Deodato film on a splendid two disc presentation.
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects