143 Oxford Street "The Chateau"

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

143 Oxford Street "The Chateau"

Postby DappDapp » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:50 am

Hello
I'm an Interior Architecture Student at Edinburgh Napier Uni.
I'm using 142 Oxford street, as a host building for my major project. "also known as "the chateau" Franz Ferdinand studio later Art collective etc.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/ ... dgeStr.jpg

And was wondering if anyone has any stock photos from "The Chateau" Especially interested in the roof extension,
or any Interior views from it.

Stories to share or anything about it would be most welcome as well.

Thanks
DappDapp
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: 143 Oxford Street "The Chateau"

Postby Josef » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:49 am

One of my favourite Glasgow buildings. I'd be interested to see anything you can come up with.

I didn't know it had been used for those purposes. I have a tenuous connection with the FFs that I suppose I could pursue to see if they have any photos that they're willing to share, if no-one has any more direct route...
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:02 am

good luck getting in
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Icecube » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:37 pm

That building is spectacular in my view and I have bother keeping my eyes off it when driving through Oxford St. Good luck with the project.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:15 pm

Possible sources of photographs: Historic Scotland, Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of Scotland, Glasgow Room of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow City Archives. Che Camille was prevously in this building.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DappDapp » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:13 am

Thanks for all the replies, It's a really interesting building. built up by 4 different buildings by 6 architects.
Alot of history is in that building.

With the lighthouse recently going bust and with the buildings history with art/performance. I thought something along those lines would be an interesting brief. And a gap site next to it, for a more contemporary extension.

I've had a chat with the owner of the property and have arranged to access the roof at some point waiting for a suitable time "weather conditions"

But due to well safety reasons the interiors is unavailable.

I've had a look in the Mitchell but will go back for a more in depth look when I return to pick up the "plans & construction detail documents"

But still if you know anyone that might have any photos they would be willing to share I'd be most grateful.

Thanks
DappDapp
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby dazza » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:23 am

The "Chateau" was used as an arts space by many (including Franz Ferdinand) until the building was condemned - then they moved to the old police station at Tobago Street.
You can find plenty of interior pics if you search the official Chateau website: http://www.chateaugateau.co.uk/

E.g. http://www.chateau.eclipse.co.uk/chateau/launch.htm
dazza
-
-

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:16 pm

DappDapp wrote:I'm using 142 Oxford street, as a host building for my major project. "also known as "the chateau" Franz Ferdinand studio later Art collective etc.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/ ... dgeStr.jpg

I thought that image looked sterile (the windows aren't broken) and then I realised that it's a computer generated. Has someone surveyed Glasgow City centre for the purpose of generating computer images? I was wondering about such things the other day and in particular if there was any virtual 3D representation of some of Glasgow's demolished buildings such as St Enoch's railway station.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:26 pm

Ex of mine used to live in the attic section of the building on the opposite corner - the former bank which used to have the ironmongers in the ground floor. I think I *might* have some pics I took from the roof, but I know I definitely have some video footage I shot of the area from up there, including the buildings that make up the Château - will see if I can dig it out, but it could be anywhere, and will be on an analogue format, so I have no particularly easy way of digitising it other than burning to DVD.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects