Bridge to nowhere

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Bridge to nowhere

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Today was more of a photocall for Sustrans and others.

I'm assured signage will be in place soon and certainly by the "community event” on Saturday the 7th of September.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Stobcross Footbridge

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:10 pm

Following the recent completion of the Anderston Footbridge (Bridge to Nowhere) project, the Council's successful partnership with Sustrans will continue enabling the upgrading of the nearby Stobcross Footbridge across the Clydeside Expressway. Carrying out these works will complete the upgraded pedestrian / cycle route from Kelvingrove Park to the River Clyde Walkway / Cycleway.

A contract has been awarded to George Leslie Ltd to carry out the works on site. It is anticipated that work will commence in this area week commencing 2 September 2013 with completion within 27 weeks.

The refurbishment works will consist of, cope and parapet replacement to bring the parapet up to standard for cycle users, resurfacing and major landscaping where we will be introducing 17 new trees in the area.

In order to carry out the works in a safe manner and as timeously as possible, unfortunately it will be necessary to close the bridge for the duration of the works. Diversions will be signed, however please note that due to the location of the bridge the diversion will be quite onerous.

Should you require any further information on this scheme, please do not hesitate to contact the Technician, Miss Claire Kelly on 0141 287 9205.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:56 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Today was more of a photocall for Sustrans and others.

I'm assured signage will be in place soon and certainly by the "community event” on Saturday the 7th of September.

The 'community event' is in Kelvingrove Park tomorrow.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:44 pm

Well selfies are all the rage these days....so what better place for me to do mine than on the BTN :)

It's impressive when you are on it - you can't see the 'join' :)

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Selfie on the Bridge To Nowhere by RapidAssistant, on Flickr
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby CGYK » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:21 pm

I thought I'd search before sharing with this post, anyway the Bridge to Nowhere provides a great viewpoint of Glasgow's most feared section of M8 (for those not familiar of the road!)

EAST

WEST
SEE.SHOOT.SHARE.™

Mens sana in corpore sano
CGYK
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:58 pm

Great work - nice one!

Has echoes of the back cover of Raintown (Deacon Blue's first album for you youngsters...)
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:22 pm

Glasgow’s infamous ‘bridge to nowhere’, which was half-built and abandoned in the 1970s before funding was found to finish it in 2013, has won an award for its “community impact”.

The concrete structure extends from Anderston but came to an abrupt end above a hotel car park until more than one million pounds was spent to finally complete it.

For four decades the white elephant, which loomed large over the M8, frustrated locals and bemused visitors to the city.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/1379 ... ure_award/
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects